Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's with all the gay avatar pictures? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanDYEL)
    Because girls kissing is hot.....
    Ugh, this comment alone is enough to make me want to change my photo for a gay male kiss. Stop sexualising lesbians ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    lol k

Here, have this.

Haha you're vile, you are doing this and you're also a feminist and I bet also an atheist and far leftist. Hopefully you will see sense with these things and abandon them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simbasdragon)
    Ugh, this comment alone is enough to make me want to change my photo for a gay male kiss. Stop sexualising lesbians ffs.
    Ikr it's so ignorant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Haha you're vile, you are doing this and you're also a feminist and I bet also an atheist and far leftist. Hopefully you will see sense with these things and abandon them.
    Lol check, check, check and pretty left although I wouldn't say far left, don't just assume things -_-

I'm proud of my beliefs and wouldn't change them for the world.

It's you who needs to change, 'vile' really? lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)
    No it's bloody not. Racial issues deserve more attention and awareness than the issues of the LGBTQIA community because racism is more far reaching and detrimental to society than simply disagreeing with somebody's sexual choices. I'm frankly insulted that you think that gay issues like marriage are comparable to slavery, the holocaust and mass segregation not to mention institutional racism which EVERYONE brushes under the rug and pretends doesn't exist.

I recongise the struggles that gay people who come out of the closet face but having the choice of coming out in the first place is in itself a luxury and is not something that people of colour can even clinch to so let's not compare the two.
    I disagree, racism and homophobia deserve equal attention. Gay people were also killed in the holocaust for their homosexuality, and in many countries they face daily abuse, violence, death threats, and even stoning to death. Hiding being gay would mean never showing affcetion with a partner when out and about, lying and pretending that you're lover is someone they aren't, never being accepted, being alienated from society.

Racial issues are horrendous too, and racists are scum of the earth, they are horrific on their own and don't need to be compared with homophobics. Both deserve attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)
    I disagree wholeheartedly with your naive assessment that being gay is worse off than being black as it's quite a baseless assumption, black people are still being killed today for being black AND it's not something I can hide like a gay person can - this is a point that appears to have evaded you completely and it speaks to your lack of experience facing real hardship. Every single day in the week we see another racist white person, even in the UK, attack a black/person of colour in a public space without any onlooker batting an eyelid such homophobic attacks are in the minority, for example.

I appreciate and understand your point about sticking with your own truth whether that's being black or being gay but in a life and death situation where gun toting racists or homophobes were knocking on my door I would press that white button in a heartbeat in the same way that any sane gay person would feign being heterosexual.

I'm not saying gay people should go into hiding I'm saying that going into a hiding is one less option that black people don't have that gay people do so my point remains that we shouldn't compare homosexuality to racism.
    Show me a country where black people are EXECUTED BY THE STATE for being black. That's exactly what happens to gay people today in some countries, like Uganda for example. Oh and btw I'm mixed race (half black half white), so don't make assumptions about me having a lack of experience of racism.

Can you show me reliable sources that compare the stats, or at least the stats themselves so we can compare? You can't just state something like race hate crimes are far more prolific than gay hate crimes without evidence.

Your actual point was that homosexuality is wrong, and homophobia pales in comparison to racism. Now, I was getting more at the part of whether it's morally right in your opinion to stay in the closet. I mean you said the 'lifestyle' is something you disagree with right? Therefore you think it's morally wrong to engage in it. One can easily make the logical conclusion from your standpoint that you think it's morally RIGHT for gay people to stay in the closet their entire lives. We're not talking about life and death situations here, we're talking about one's entire life. But let's add a caveat here. If pressing that white button to disguise yourself as white also meant you would suffer severe depression your whole life for keeping your 'blackness' in the closet as it were, would you still press it, in the UK of all places? On top of that, and this is the crucial point here, even if you press the button, is someone morally wrong for suggesting you stay white forever? If they 'disagreed' with your blackness, and shamed you into pushing that button, would they be morally praiseworthy individuals?

If you answer no to both of the last questions, then I question how you can't see the immorality in telling gays it's better they stay in the closet.

Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.