Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Cry me a river. I'm pretty angry that self-entitled students keep *****ing about what amounts to a graduate tax that they only have to pay later on when they can easily afford it. University continues to remain free at the point of entry. You also all can't be that broke judging by the demographics of my town centre's nightclubs and bars.
    A graduate tax that only applies to future graduates rather than all graduates (i.e. those who got their degrees for free) is simply an additional income tax only applicable to the next generation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Reue)
    As for making university free for everyone; I wonder how many police stations, schools and hospitals these protesters would like to see close in order to fund something which they ultimately choose to do themselves and primarily for their own benefit.
    None, because they'll do what they always do and shout about how rich people aren't having 100pc income tax imposed on them yet so they can foot the bill

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Agreed. But if your parents were rich and could pay for your tuition up front, you keep all of your £21k. Where as if your parents were poor, you have an additional 9% tax levied on your pay. The rich pay less.

A graduate tax would apply to everyone who attended university regardless of parental income. This is surely fair no?
    Just because one's parent could afford to pay up front down mean they will or even should

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Just because one's parent could afford to pay up front down mean they will or even should

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quite. But at present they can and do. And since one's ability to borrow / pay is determined by our parents, they have quite a lot to answer for!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Quite. But at present they can and do. And since one's ability to borrow / pay is determined by our parents, they have quite a lot to answer for!
    I know quite a lot of people whose parents could easily pay their fees, meanwhile the only ones I know that actually do are the international students who are ineligible for finance anyway; very few actually do pay their fees up front, most will just get some form of support, whether that be accommodation paid for and then maintenance loan for living expenses, or an allowance to top up the loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuffinzMed)
    Today Protests in central London took place in light of the government wanting to take away more money from already broke students, I want to hear you opinions, feels and such

My opinion is that, I’m not sure about you guys, but I’m pretty angry that the government want to not only take away the grant that POORER students get BUT they ALSO want to target the support for disabled students. It’s becoming veeerryy clear now that the tories want the poor to stay poor and the rich to be richer.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/616...tan-Police-DLR
    I wish the police had guns with rubber bullets to **** all of them up and this coming from a very poor student expecting like 80k debt when I leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Lose* and in real terms yes.

In cash terms no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought you were going to follow up on this line of argument

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.