• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Liberal = left-wing.
    No it doesn't.....

Liberal = Liberal

Left-wing on a PC is in terms of Economics. Classical Liberals (like Josb ) are centre-right to right-wing, while Modern Liberals are scattered in the Centre-Ground

(Original post by Aph)
    Green_Pink is the most liberal
    Aye, I didn't see the small "GP"
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    No it doesn't.....

Liberal = Liberal

Left-wing on a PC is in terms of Economics. Classical Liberals (like Josb ) are centre-right to right-wing, while Modern Liberals are scattered in the Centre-Ground

Aye, I didn't see the small "GP"
    Nop. Liberal means left-wing. Soz.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'm actually not going to bother arguing with you, because frankly, you're wrong.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Roughly. I've gone from left-wing moderately Liberal to Centre-Right almost very liberal
    (Original post by Aph)
    Nope, you moved right and are a little less liberal apparently
    I don't think I have changed.

Liberal = left-wing.
    Don't start this again, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously right-wing.

ReputationRep:
    Only in America, the land where crisps are chips and chips are fries. Seems like they can't get anything right
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    • ballenced

Little error, but thank you for this analysis!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Classical Liberalism-Free market, Liberty, small gov, right wing.
    New/modern/Progressive Liberalism-Equality, large positive role of state, left wing.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by balanced)
    New/modern/Progressive Liberalism-Equality, large positive role of state, left wing.
    Even then, Left wing doesn't mean Liberal and Liberal doesn't mean Left wing.

ReputationRep:
    Little error, but thank you for this analysis!!!
    Still better than *******s. :mmm:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Still better than *******s. :mmm:
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens when people try equate things to a simple left-right dynamic. As a liberal Tory i'm hardly going to go round saying i'm right-left.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually not going to bother arguing with you, because frankly, you're wrong.
    Boom! :eek: This is how you win arguments, ladies and gentlemen. #rekt

ReputationRep:
    PetrosAC The easiest way to demonstrate Snufkin's incorrect point is to remind him Margaret Thatcher was neo-liberal but not left-wing.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    PetrosAC The easiest way to demonstrate Snufkin's incorrect point is to remind him that Margaret Thatcher was a neo-liberal but not left-wing.
    Aye, true. Though Thatcher was socially conservative, so that may not be the best example

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye, true. Though Thatcher was socially conservative, so that may not be the best example

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cameron would work better I'd say - I have him down as a classical liberal at heart (right-wing, but pro-equality, same-sex marriage, drugs reform before he was PM, etc) but somewhat reigned in by the nature of his party.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Cameron would work better I'd say - I have him down as a classical liberal at heart (right-wing, but pro-equality, same-sex marriage, drugs reform before he was PM, etc) but somewhat reigned in by the nature of his party.
    Aye. I agree
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Even then, Left wing doesn't mean Liberal and Liberal doesn't mean Left wing.
    That's what I was trying to say
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay but you're still wrong.

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Only in America, the land where crisps are chips and chips are fries. Seems like they can't get anything right
    Nop.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    PetrosAC The easiest way to demonstrate Snufkin's incorrect point is to remind him that Margaret Thatcher was a neo-liberal but not left-wing.

Neoliberalism is an economic ideology, it has nothing to do with being liberal. The word 'liberal' crops up in a lot of places but the meanings are NOT the same.

I don't particularly want to get into a semantics debate, but if you asked the common man on the street whether liberal = left, he would say yes. And yes, his opinion counts. Languages evolve, words change their meaning all the time - the public perception of the word 'liberal' has changed, whether you like it or not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Okay but you're still wrong.

Nop.

Neoliberalism is an economic ideology, it has nothing to do with being liberal. The word 'liberal' crops up in a lot of places but the meanings are NOT the same.

I don't particularly want to get into a semantics debate, but if you asked the common man on the street whether liberal = left, he would say yes. And yes, his opinion counts. Languages evolve, words change their meaning all the time - the public perception of the word 'liberal' has changed, whether you like it or not.
    Being liberal can mean being right wing, especially economically. However your point of the man on the street holds an element of truth, despite it being wrong.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.