Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pronged Lily)
    They wouldn't let you, that's why there's a 24hr no discussion thing...
    Do you know this as a fact though? Surely if someone sat it before official solutions tomorrow UKMT would allow it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tau)
    I only got a bronze last year (year 11) so don't expect too much . The trick to the maths challenge is to understand how to approach the question. Prime factorisations are normally important and thinking about how to approach an equation algebraically. People say you can't revise for the SMC, and they're not really wrong, but the more maths you do the more likely you are to think mathematically, and the more challenges you do you pick up on some common types of questions. Geometry is the most important for the SMC (which is annoying, because I hate geometry and am normally terrible at it).
    Well this makes me feel like I still have time to improve a bit. I got bronze last year in year 10. The thing is, there was this guy who used to be in my school last year. He took the paper and only got three questions wrong, one by a silly mistake and he qualified for BMO in year 11. I feel like maybe I just don't have the mathematical intuition that some people do, I mean I know another guy who doesn't even try and he was one question away from BMO.

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't let you, that's why there's a 24hr no discussion thing...
    24 hours from when?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dingooose)
    Well this makes me feel like I still have time to improve a bit. I got bronze last year in year 10. The thing is, there was this guy who used to be in my school last year. He took the paper and only got three questions wrong, one by a silly mistake and he qualified for BMO in year 11. I feel like maybe I just don't have the mathematical intuition that some people do, I mean I know another guy who doesn't even try and he was one question away from BMO.
    I have always been quite good at maths generally but have done (relatively) poorly in the challenges. I got to the kangaroo in the intermediate last year but before that it wasn't great. I know how you feel, but it probably will come with time. The biggest thing I've learnt since doing maths challenges every year since year 6 (normally 2 maths challenges every year) is that guessing very rarely pays off. In the past I've put done answers to all 25 which is very tempting, but it is a too risky strategy if you're aiming high in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Last maths challenge ever for me. Does anyone know of any maths challenge type competitions for university students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ¡Muy bien!)
    Last maths challenge ever for me. Does anyone know of any maths challenge type competitions for university students?
    There are university level olympiads but I think those are VERY high level - like IMO contestants end up doing those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Do you know this as a fact though? Surely if someone sat it before official solutions tomorrow UKMT would allow it?
    No, UKMT do not allow the papers to be taken before or after the specified date. It's possible (but rare) to get 125/125 or close to that without having to cheat, it just requires a combination of mathematical talent, practice and an ability to actually do geometry (unlike me ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SushiBunny)

No, actually I have no idea, I'm just hoping I do manage to get into BMO1. Have been able to a few times so I'm feeling pretty confident.
    ...m8.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know roughly what the standard bronze mark boundary is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    It was a bit easier than last year I only answered about 14 questions, because I ran out of time. I think that I got 12 right and 2 wrong; this should mean I would get 71, which would have got me a silver last year, but I'm pretty sure that it would get me a bronze this year.

Also, I tend to find the questions from 20-25 much easier than the questions 10-19, anyone else?

I know they said not to guess but I ended up guessing (it was my first time) oh god will I have minus results lol is that possible ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinna21)
    I know they said not to guess but I ended up guessing (it was my first time) oh god will I have minus results lol is that possible ??
    It's not possible, that's why they give you 25 free points -so if you got every question wrong you'd have 0 points

ReputationRep:
    24 hours from when?
    The whole day that the challenge is on I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    ...m8.

ReputationRep:
    The whole day that the challenge is on I think.
    Hmm, I would think it should be fine to discuss before 9 as long as it's tomorrow - surely nobody would be doing it at 10:30pm to 12, and your not allowed to do it tomorrow

*you're

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I would think it should be fine to discuss before 9 as long as it's tomorrow - surely nobody would be doing it at 10:30pm to 12, and your not allowed to do it tomorrow

*you're
    Timezones surely?

ReputationRep:
    I think I got 125/125. This is my First year and I am not sure if I can qualify for BMO1 since I am not a British Citizen.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher calculated I got 103 is that enough to qualify into bmo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    My teacher calculated I got 103 is that enough to qualify into bmo
    Noone can tell. Thresholds are calculated each year based on a score distribution. It might, it might not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Noone can tell. Thresholds are calculated each year based on a score distribution. It might, it might not
    Do you reckon it was harder than last years

ReputationRep:
    Almost definitely. I'm on 98 myself and its very uncertai, you'll get in.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.