Turn on thread page Beta

The John Lewis Christmas advert is here! #ManOnTheMoon watch

ReputationRep:
    that song is from the royle family, no matter what cover it is i can't take oasis seriously with half the world away

ReputationRep:
    Way too early. Totally cringeworthy. Not to mention a sinister paedophile on the moon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    There was barely any materialism at all. The girls gift was a telescope which the old man could use to see that he was loved. It wasn't the item it was just the fact that someone cared about him.
    Sentimental cynicism-works every time.

The message conveyed was that John Lewis "cares" and they want you to buy a present for your elderly relative and vice versa, as if that makes up for not having seen them all year... they're playing the sentimental card, and guess what, it works. The elderly are marginalised and infantilised (denied their dignity and respect), preyed on by salesfolk, and near-bumped-off by hospitals once they're no longer of use to society ie not generating tax for the government. Nice try JL.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinio...0226.ece#tab-4

ReputationRep:
    The poor old guy....tried to get away from another tedious commercial christmas but obviously didn't get far enough.....try Pluto next time maybe

ReputationRep:
    Aw cute but sad

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the John Lewis advertisements, this year was pretty great but I preferred the previous years as they seemed to strike more of chord with me and others.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno whether ti has already been posted but the star wars parady version is great XD

http://creativity-online.com/work/th...n-parody/44159

http://creativity-online.com/work/th...n-parody/44159
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I hated it.

I have no idea how it's an advert for John Lewis - have they started selling really powerful telescopes now?

I don't think it did a great job of highlighting how old people need to be looked after, because really he's just been given a telescope. That's a one off action. He felt loved for a minute, and has now gone back to being alone. Maybe if they'd given him a spaceship and he'd come back to Earth and been a member of the family it would be different. It's a very hands off approach to things. The girl clearly didn't get it there herself so didn't do anything other than wave from a distance (and wouldn't have afforded it anyway). The parents or whoever did buy it didn't even bother to see his reaction. It's like the whole family just said "meh, we've been helpful, we're done now".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I hated it.

I have no idea how it's an advert for John Lewis - have they started selling really powerful telescopes now?

I don't think it did a great job of highlighting how old people need to be looked after, because really he's just been given a telescope. That's a one off action. He felt loved for a minute, and has now gone back to being alone. Maybe if they'd given him a spaceship and he'd come back to Earth and been a member of the family it would be different. It's a very hands off approach to things. The girl clearly didn't get it there herself so didn't do anything other than wave from a distance (and wouldn't have afforded it anyway). The parents or whoever did buy it didn't even bother to see his reaction. It's like the whole family just said "meh, we've been helpful, we're done now".
    They sell the decorative, only for show one that the kid actually sends him.

ReputationRep:
    I cried so much at this advert!!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    They sell the decorative, only for show one that the kid actually sends him.
    First child: What did you get for Christmas then?

Second child: I got a decorative telescope that is of no use whatsoever!

First child: Woohoo, I'm so jealous :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    First child: What did you get for Christmas then?

Second child: I got a decorative telescope that is of no use whatsoever!

First child: Woohoo, I'm so jealous :rolleyes:
    Almost right:
    First adult: What did you get for Xmas?
    Second adult: I got a decorative telescope that is of no use whatsoever!
    First adult: I bet you got that to display in your olde-worlde study.
    Second adult: Yes, my husband thought it looked classy.
    First adult: Does it?
    Second adult: No, and it doesn't work either, so I got our kid to give it to her granddad.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Almost right:
    First adult: What did you get for Xmas?
    Second adult: I got a decorative telescope that is of no use whatsoever!
    First adult: I bet you got that to display in your olde-worlde study.
    Second adult: Yes, my husband thought it looked classy.
    First adult: Does it?
    Second adult: No, and it doesn't work either, so I got our kid to give it to her granddad.
    Ah. I don't have an olde-worlde study so don't know about these things. I just have a Percy Pig collection, and that does always look classy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Ah. I don't have an olde-worlde study so don't know about these things. I just have a Percy Pig collection, and that does always look classy.
    Are Percy Pigs not from M&S?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Are Percy Pigs not from M&S?
    Yeah, I didn't mean they're from John Lewis. I just mean I don't know about collecting useless things like ornamental telescopes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Yeah, I didn't mean they're from John Lewis. I just mean I don't know about collecting useless things like ornamental telescopes.
    Fair enough. I think it's a bit of a niche market.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Fair enough. I think it's a bit of a niche market.
    Exactly. So why have they made a whole campaign around a niche market? Surely they should have gone for stuffed gorillas or something. Everyone needs a stuffed gorilla.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Exactly. So why have they made a whole campaign around a niche market? Surely they should have gone for stuffed gorillas or something. Everyone needs a stuffed gorilla.
    You're not wrong there. Unfortunately, JL don't sell them, so they had to settle for ersatz telescopes.

ReputationRep:
    I like it, but my favourite advert is Monty the penguin

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.