Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you rather... watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would you rather...?
    Speak every human language in the world
    56.76%
    Be able to talk to the animals
    43.24%

ReputationRep:
    This ones a no-brainer for me. You can learn every language in the world (it would be extremely difficult nobody disputes that) however, you can't learn how to speak to animals. So of course I would choose being able to speak to animals.

P.S. I am very fond of learning new languages! I know quite a few myself. It's cool interacting with people but why not animals too?

ReputationRep:
    I feel like the human languages is the only really useful option here. Imagine being able to travel anywhere in the world and effortlessly communicate with everyone you meet! That would be super cool. Plus the benefits for working in any kind of industry would be massive...

Talking to the animals would be kinda pointless. Most don't have as fully developed brains as us, so wouldn't be able to hold a conversation, as they're driven by instinct rather than logic.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking to animals would be supper cool, but it would be more useful to speak every human language in the world tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Have you not seen the end of the film Avatar?
    No I haven't, what happens?

But I mean think about it....is being able to talk to your dog and your cat going to make your life any better?....no, not really.

Being able to speak to anyone from any language can be incredibly useful though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    I strongly disagree. In fact, I would argue that speaking all the world languages would be the most useless ability of the two. Think about it, for any two languages that you can speak there exist people who speak it too. Your value lies on the fact that some dying languages lack speakers and some linguists want to make all languages immortal, however unlikely that is. On the other hand, being able to communicate not with a single species but with all species of the animal kingdom, grants you political, financial and social influence that you can leverage to your advantage.
    "political, financial and social influence"?....I think you're overestimating how significant the ability would be.

It's a very hard stretch to think of what political influence it would afford you, and the financial and social influence you would be able to gain from it would be an initial flurry of interviews and media fame but like everything that would die down eventually as people get bored of it and move onto the next fad, then you'd have have to think of some way to continue milking it - like a service where people pay you to tell them what their animals think of them.

And all of this is assuming the Russians, the Chinese or even the US secret services haven't already kidnapped you to use you in military testing or something.

So yeah, the ability might be quite lucrative or it could be a flop...tbh my initial scepticism is because I imagine animals wouldnt actually have anything interesting to say - should remember most animals brains are significantly less developed than humans.

ReputationRep:
    I would go for human language because it wouldn't instantly make me famous if I did anything with it and I would be able to experience different cultures fully (not to mention see if anime subs are better then dubs).

ReputationRep:
    I already speak 8 languages, so it's only right that I keep going.

ReputationRep:
    If you could talk to animals you could probably control them perhaps teach them stuff like not to cross the road when a cars coming or not to fly into windows. I don't know how much you could teach a bird but a dog could become really useful. I think i would take the ability to talk to animals because i could help so many of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    1. "political, financial and social influence"?....I think you're overestimating how significant the ability would be.

2. It's a very hard stretch to think of what political influence it would afford you, and the financial and social influence you would be able to gain from it would be an initial flurry of interviews and media fame but like everything that would die down eventually as people get bored of it and move onto the next fad, then you'd have have to think of some way to continue milking it - like a service where people pay you to tell them what their animals think of them.

3. And all of this is assuming the Russians, the Chinese or even the US secret services haven't already kidnapped you to use you in military testing or something.

4. So yeah, the ability might be quite lucrative or it could be a flop...tbh my initial scepticism is because I imagine animals wouldnt actually have anything interesting to say - should remember most animals brains are significantly less developed than humans.
    1. Am I? The ability to communicate with all species of the animal kingdom makes you nothing short of an intelligent representative of the animal kingdom. That comes with political, financial and social influence. In case you didn't notice, our interactions with other species shape our political (animal rights, food availability/shortage and policies related to these), financial (international aid and the state of your economy, the ability to cause biological terrorism by manipulating groups of animals as you see fit) and social state of affairs (your political and financial power confers you social influence).

2. No, it is not. Animals are a part of an ecosystem that we need in order to survive. Our interaction with animals shapes our political, financial and social landscape. Anyone with the ability to communicate with thousands of animals at the same time can possibly alter the ecosystem in very drastic ways and without much effort. This alone makes you the centre of attention of politics and finance. Let me repeat it again, you can alter an ecosystem without much effort and in very drastic ways.

3. This is assuming that you don't choose to ally with any of them or anyone else first.

4. You are missing the point. It's not about whether animals can tell you anything interesting. But about the fact that they will react to what you tell them. And the fact that you can essentially destroy a country's ecosystem by altering the behaviour of its animals hereby destroying the feedback processes that sustain ecosystems. This in turn leads to damage to the country's economy which in turn leads to a political and social change in the country to adapt to your actions. Now tell me what large-scale impact you can make by speaking all human languages. At most, you have historical and cultural value. But you won't be able to affect a country's economy in any significant way. 30 or 300 or 300 translators are still more efficient than you are because they can process information faster than you can and for a longer time than you can. You might be cheaper to hire than 30 or 300 translators but that's only because you can only produce so much output for a given amount of work. You still need to rest and feed yourself. Plus, while you might know all human languages, translators also have the cultural/political/social knowledge of the countries where the languages are spoken which you, only knowing the languages, lack.

I think my point is clear. One grants you the ability to become a large-scale intelligent biological force/weapon, and the other one grants you the ability to know all human languages (without also granting you knowledge of the politics/economy of those countries or the ability to process linguistic information faster - see computer with huge memory but tiny processor).

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised so many people would rather have the ability to talk to animals....

Hands down, I'd love to be able to speak every human language in the world. It's a much more useful skill to have.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather speak every human language in the world

ReputationRep:
    Every human language, although speaking to animals would be uniquely useful to a degree, this isn't Disney, just because you can understand what an animal is trying to say, doesn't mean it has much to say. You may understand a cats meow means "I'm hungry" "I'm annoyed with you" "what are you doing?" etc, but just because you can and can vocalize in a way the cat understands, doesn't mean you can ask complex questions or engage in a running conversation, as the cat may well lack the intellectual capacity to do so. It's a bit like a young toddler learning to speak, it knows a few sentences and you're speaking the same language, but you can't then ask it it's views on current affairs.

Where as every human language has many advantages in day to day life.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be able to speak to animals because that is supernatural whereas learning human languages isn't impossible, and I'm not interested in some languages that exists. Also I want to know what animals think.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Animals.

I could then ask my cat why she doesn't like me.

ReputationRep:
    Animals obviously.

I can reason with that Gigantic-ass spider in the middle of my room which has stayed in the same spot for two hours.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather speak to animals. For a few reasons.

1. I speak English which a lot of the planet speak already.

2. In the age of Internet, I can get whatever I want translated.

3. It only takes a few weeks to master the basic skills of a language.

4. Nobody can converse with animals. Even animals can't converse with each other, they do everything with body language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    No I haven't, what happens?

But I mean think about it....is being able to talk to your dog and your cat going to make your life any better?....no, not really.

Being able to speak to anyone from any language can be incredibly useful though.
    Animals save the world.

You would become extremely rich extremely quickly by talking to animals. You could become an amazing spy using birds. You could take over the world by becoming king of the squirrels. You could help save animals by telling them to avoid certain areas.

And in about 10 - 15 years Google will have live translation for people sorted anyway, so that power would be pointless and short lived

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    I already speak 8 languages, so it's only right that I keep going.
    Which ones? I speak 5!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd love to hold conversations with animals, although given I'd use it to have my house staffed by penguins (the butlers of the animal kingdom), I suspect I'd be better off with all languages instead.

ReputationRep:
    Speak every human language in the world so that I can actually pass these damn GCSEs

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.