Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Denzel89)
    I am going to go to the uni open day on sat and get some definitive answers (i have a list here!)
    How did it go?!

ReputationRep:
    Lol...i didn't go, i didn't see the point if i wasn't going to be enrolling until sept 2017.......but I've been thinking again!

My accounts for 16/17 won't actually be due until july way after the access course has finished so i don't really know what i was worrying about i can sort all that out after I've finished college.

So now I'm thinking, sod it, lets get it done! I have sent an application off to preston college and apparently they will send me an invitation for an interview, so I'm just waiting on that.

And i think doing the access is the best way, it means i can omit the foundation year and go straight to MEng.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Lol...i didn't go, i didn't see the point if i wasn't going to be enrolling until sept 2017.......but I've been thinking again!

My accounts for 16/17 won't actually be due until july way after the access course has finished so i don't really know what i was worrying about i can sort all that out after I've finished college.

So now I'm thinking, sod it, lets get it done! I have sent an application off to preston college and apparently they will send me an invitation for an interview, so I'm just waiting on that.

And i think doing the access is the best way, it means i can omit the foundation year and go straight to MEng.
    Make sure they are being genuine with you about your chances of completing all the content in such a short time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Make sure they are being genuine with you about your chances of completing all the content in such a short time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is the only thing I'm questioning, it seems rather short? It wouldn't surprise me if there was a typo on the email i got back from the advisor!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That is the only thing I'm questioning, it seems rather short? It wouldn't surprise me if there was a typo on the email i got back from the advisor!
    And they get paid no matter if you pass or fail...

Ask them again, or arrange an appointment and pay them a visit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I will they have some sort of evening thing ill have to go to so ill interrogate them there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you translate this for me, its the entry requirements for the MEng

300 points at A2 inc B in Maths, DDM at QCFBED, D*D* at QCFBD. Pass Access Course with Distinction in 30 Level 3 credits. IB -25P including grade 5 in Maths. GCSE Maths & English C or equivalent. IELTS 6.0 (with no component below 5.5)

300 points at A2 inc B in Maths, DDM at QCFBED, D*D* at QCFBD - does this relate to a levels?

Pass Access Course with Distinction in 30 Level 3 credits - and this to an access course?

Do they look for either of these or do they require both?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Could you translate this for me, its the entry requirements for the MEng

300 points at A2 inc B in Maths, DDM at QCFBED, D*D* at QCFBD. Pass Access Course with Distinction in 30 Level 3 credits. IB -25P including grade 5 in Maths. GCSE Maths & English C or equivalent. IELTS 6.0 (with no component below 5.5)

300 points at A2 inc B in Maths, DDM at QCFBED, D*D* at QCFBD - does this relate to a levels?

Pass Access Course with Distinction in 30 Level 3 credits - and this to an access course?

Do they look for either of these or do they require both?
    The Access bit is a standalone requirement.

But I think to be sure, you should send UCLAN the spec of your Access course and get them to confirm it meets their reqt. in full...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Access bit is a standalone requirement.

But I think to be sure, you should send UCLAN the spec of your Access course and get them to confirm it meets their reqt. in full...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah i see, there is no spec on their website, this reply i got the other day from UCLAN seems to suggest that an access to HE diploma is sufficient.

"Thank you for your interest in studying at UCLan. We do not ordinarily make offers to students who do not meet the official entry requirements for this course. This is because students need a Level 3 maths qualification, such as BTEC or A-Level, to be able to cope with the study material at both foundation entry and year 1. If you do not have any maths qualification then I would suggest that you get in touch with your local college to study an Access the HE Diploma, which can give you entry to the first year of this degree course. You would need to study Maths within this. From the Access to HE Diploma we ask for 30 level 3 credits at distinction."
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Sounds like its fine then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like its fine then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thought id update this,

Got an email from what read like the head of admissions asking for a contact number so they could ring me, anyhow got the phonecall and she said she had been on holiday and returned and spotted an email trail and my name mentioned multiple times, so she thought she would follow it up.

The lady asked me to provide her with a CV and an extended profile, outlining how my current skills and experience relate to each individual module within the entire course. Ive done it and sent it back this morning.

Apparently she is going to take this to the tutors/academics and get a decision, and hopefully get me pre-approved in preparation of them receiving my UCAS application, and hopefully not needing to do an access course.

Have you ever heard of this?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thought id update this,

Got an email from what read like the head of admissions asking for a contact number so they could ring me, anyhow got the phonecall and she said she had been on holiday and returned and spotted an email trail and my name mentioned multiple times, so she thought she would follow it up.

The lady asked me to provide her with a CV and an extended profile, outlining how my current skills and experience relate to each individual module within the entire course. Ive done it and sent it back this morning.

Apparently she is going to take this to the tutors/academics and get a decision, and hopefully get me pre-approved in preparation of them receiving my UCAS application, and hopefully not needing to do an access course.

Sounds interesting. Mature students can follow many different pathways to uni so that's fine - but I would have thought they would at least want evidence of your maths.

ReputationRep:
    Thought id update this,

Sounds pretty damn amazing!

For the maths, maybe they will give you extra lessons or something on it?
    Just have to wait and see. Good luck!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    xxx
    Just to add, this is a good book for Engineering Maths. And you can get older editions cheap on eBay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-.../dp/1403942463

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, i am hopeful, but i can't imagine them just letting me on tbh. I have said in the profile that i am willing at my cost if necessary to undertake extra studies in maths alongside the foundation year.

See what happens

Just to add, this is a good book for Engineering Maths. And you can get older editions cheap on eBay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-.../dp/1403942463

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Cheers guys, i am hopeful, but i can't imagine them just letting me on tbh. I have said in the profile that i am willing at my cost if necessary to undertake extra studies in maths alongside the foundation year.

See what happens
    Ah, I misunderstood... so they might offer you a foundation place - but not straight onto the full degree? That makes more sense

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I misunderstood... so they might offer you a foundation place - but not straight onto the full degree? That makes more sense

Good luck!
    I heard back from the tutor that runs the course today, and he will accept me onto the foundation! I just need to apply through UCAS now!

ReputationRep:
    I heard back from the tutor that runs the course today, and he will accept me onto the foundation! I just need to apply through UCAS now!
    Congratz.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes! That's great news.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.