Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How about no

Almost as stupid as scrapping tuition fees

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well at least I dont agree with that then.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This Bill is a joke right ? Please say its a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    It also has to be a Nay from me, despite how sympathetic I am. Ideologically speaking, I agree with you, I think that they're unfair and those pupils who go to them have an advantage in life that's without merit. However, it is one's liberty to send their children to the school that they think is best for their child, and I don't think it's fair to stop it. We're already seeing state schools doing better, in some cases better than private schools, in many cases as well as private schools. The way that I'd go about it would be to put more investment into our state schools, improve them so that they do better than private schools, work on the unfair advantage that private students get (which we're currently doing in government), and through competition see private schools die out through the market.
    If only a certain group has the liberty to send their child to certain school then it is merely privilidge. I don't understand how any can think we can compete with private schools we simply don't have the cash. I'd also point out that private schools massively infringe upon equality of opportunity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    Oh aye cos without taxing everyone to hell we can afford to compete with bloody Eton.
    Wait, every private school is as good as Eton? That's news to me.

Why don't we ban Oxbridge whilst we're at it, actually, make that the RG unis, the Poly's cannot possibly compete with Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    This Bill is a joke right ? Please say its a joke
    It's not a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, every private school is as good as Eton? That's news to me.

Why don't we ban Oxbridge whilst we're at it, actually, make that the RG unis, the Poly's cannot possibly compete with Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's an example of one.

You don't just pay to get into Oxbridge you get selected at a suitable age (11 is not old enough to adequately judge abilities) for being the best of the best. A poor child can get in to Oxbridge they cannot get to Eton.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's an example of one.

You don't just pay to get into Oxbridge you get selected at a suitable age (11 is not old enough to adequately judge abilities) for being the best of the best. A poor child can get in to Oxbridge they cannot get to Eton.
    A very specifically chosen one, funny how you chose one of the old public schools that between then take what, less than a thousand a year, rather than your run of the mill average private school which are easily competed with, or God forbid you chose a crappy one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A very specifically chosen one, funny how you chose one of the old public schools that between then take what, less than a thousand a year, rather than your run of the mill average private school which are easily competed with, or God forbid you chose a crappy one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    However if privates exist then Eton will still exist and would still be a problem. I'd still point out they're not competed with easily otherwise we'd have been doing it for years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    I'm sorry but it has to be nay. My little brother goes to a private school not because we are a middle/upper class family but because mainstream schools wouldn't accept him because of his disabilities and special needs. Therefore I cannot support this bill.
    Said school would stay in existence and continue to provide the support hiwever it would be in state hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Are we just going for producing Bills where the only Aye will be the author themselves???
    No. I might get 1 more aye.

ReputationRep:
    Did you feel depressed seeing an flood of naysso had to remind yourself that as author you support it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wanted a first page aye.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Nay, I would maybe support it if it made private schools free; but private schools are the only option for some disabled people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Nay, I would maybe support it if it made private schools free; but private schools are the only option for some disabled people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    However this would bring them under state control with the schools staying in existence.

ReputationRep:
    This Bill is too vague, and would give the legal profession a field day. Private schooling could be argued to include music and language tuition, after school clubs, dance and drama lessons and a whole host of other educational activities. I can imagine diplomatic tensions if the American school in London were closed.

I could forsee a number of private schools in the Irish Republic and across the channel being opened up were there none in the UK, and to my mind a day fee paying school is a better thing for children than a boarding school.

Much as the exclusivity of schools such as Eton and Harrow is objectionable, I cannot support the Bill.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Would this not lead to effectively banning university's? Nay anyway

ReputationRep:
    Good lord this is bill is abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    However this would bring them under state control with the schools staying in existence.
    Hang on... So you want to steal the assets of charity and private business now.

These schools won't necessarily stay in existence, they may simply be sold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I'm a definite left-winger but I'm not supporting this. For a start, it takes away private property without any compensation which is at odds with EU law and something I don't believe can be justified here - regardless of whether we support them or not these people have often been working for a very long time to give children a better education, and we're about to take from them their property and their livelihood out of ideology.

Secondly, so long as we have differential levels of wealth in a society, it will be possible for the rich to give their children superior educations be it through private tuition out of schools, things as simple as having more time to foster their talents at home, or as extreme as sending them to boarding schools outside of Britain who would be all too happy to provide an English-language education for a price with none of our regulation on it. Abolishing British private schools won't fix the problem, just push it further away where we can't have any control over it at all. It will also be possible for teachers to be attracted elsewhere, either abroad or to more fiscally prosperous professions, which means we'd lose some of the best talent from our education system.

For me, our effort must instead go towards creating the best and most inclusive public sector education system we can, and more generally working towards a society where every family is in a position to raise their children to the best of their ability without the stress of excessive work hours or monetary worries.

My comrade @Saracen's Fez also pointed out when we discussed this that it would negatively impact our budget - suddenly thousands of children whose parents pay for their education would have it funded by the state instead, which means less money in the pot for those who can't afford private education, not more.

As an alternative, I would support the removal of charitable status for such institutions and tighter regulations on them (such as better enforcement of the national curriculum).
    Regarding the removal of charitable status do you support extending this to universities (also charities) and also in which way do they currently breach rules defining what a charity is.

It would be very wrong to ideologically remove their status on a whim, the only way to do it would be to change the definition of a charity for all and then they'd choose to meet those requirements or become a different firm.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. It's unfair, illogical and outdated that children should have a better start in life just because their parents have money, and what's more, privately-educated children usually have a much better chance of going on to be in a position of power which is dangerous as they will have had virtually no contact with people of a lower social class than themselves during their formative years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    It also has to be a Nay from me, despite how sympathetic I am. Ideologically speaking, I agree with you, I think that they're unfair and those pupils who go to them have an advantage in life that's without merit. However, it is one's liberty to send their children to the school that they think is best for their child, and I don't think it's fair to stop it. We're already seeing state schools doing better, in some cases better than private schools, in many cases as well as private schools. The way that I'd go about it would be to put more investment into our state schools, improve them so that they do better than private schools, work on the unfair advantage that private students get (which we're currently doing in government), and through competition see private schools die out through the market.
    Not all children there have an advantage without merit. A lot take entrance exams for example so are no worse than grammars. Many private schools also offer scholarships, something that should be extended.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.