18.33%
    West Ham
    2.50%
    Other
    1.67%
    Chelsea will still make it
    17.50%

ReputationRep:
    Lool this is why I hate Liverpool fans, how are Liverpool even being mentioned, they've done nothing of note all season, apart from hire a new manager, who's had like what.. 2 draws, 1 loss and 1 win in 4 PL games? Compared to Spurs and Leicester losing 1 game in the PL, but it's clear Leicester won't make top 4 because they have such a bad defence, the same amount of goals conceded as Aston Villa

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty it's going to be spurs
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samir12)
    Don't think we were that bad tbh, just didn't take our chances and gave away cheap goals which has been an on going problem that won't go away overnight.
    Agreed. I was just full of ire at the final whistle because I just knew Palace would beat us, and I could have banked on a goal inside the last ten minutes from a set piece winning it for them.

ReputationRep:
    It will be one of Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Liverpool. Everton and West Ham have advantage of no European football whereas Liverpool and spurs have the better squads. Think ultimately it will come down to experience in the final few months of which the Liverpool squad and manager have the greatest with regard to finishing top 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Based on today, it will be Tottenham.

A really effective pressing team, with Alli shining and their wingers offering protection to their full-backs. Dier has been a revelation in the middle, offering something different to the boring and mundane tandem they had last year in the forms of Mason and Bentaleb (who are altogether too similar). Dembele was excellent too today, and it shows how strong a character and personality Kane is that he got over the early season drought with minimal fuss.

ReputationRep:
    Despite being a forest fan I'd still want Leicester to come 4th lol doesn't seem likely tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    I can definitely dismiss fatigue since the sports science and fitness set up here is excellent and we have actually got plenty of options in reserve for all but the goalkeeper, who generally is the least prone to fitness issues in a side.
    But as I stated earlier, you don't really have any quality attacking replacements. Particularly as your two best players have become regular internationals in the last year or so, which means there playing more games.

ReputationRep:
    The quality of the division isn't the question though, the tempo and intensity is, and frankly it'd be a bit ignorant to suggest the lower leagues didn't have the intensity of the premier league, if anything they're a bit faster. I'd worry more for foreign imports playing in slower leagues and ones that get a winter break wrt fatigue.

I've been watching since MON, and I see absolutely no reason why we can't go on to finish top 4 - we're fitter than the rest of the division and we know exactly what we're doing - all this talk of falling away surely has to end after half a season of top four form, bridged across two managers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But the tempo and intensity of a league is undoubtedly affected by the quality of players playing in it. Jamie Vardy and co may be able to play at such a high intensity over long periods in lower divisions without getting punished but that doesn't mean they can carry it over an entire season at the top level of English football, and consequently, finish in the top 4. In fact, there's no evidence at all to back it up, yet.

Fitter than the rest of the division? On what basis? This is a highly subjective opinion, and not a very good one. Anyway, if I'm proved wrong, you can come back at me and gloat all you want, but I'll say this now, it would be a football miracle if Leicester finish in the top 6. I'm sure you can get some good odds on them finishing in the top 4 though since you seem very confident.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    But as I stated earlier, you don't really have any quality attacking replacements. Particularly as your two best players have become regular internationals in the last year or so, which means there playing more games.
    Again, false. Behind Vardy we've got okazaki, third top scorer of all time for his country (not scoring many at the moment purely because he's being played as a deep lying forward with the focus on creating for Vardy), Ulloa, who got 12 last season and Kramaric, with an international record of roughly 1 in 2 and as he showed in the Europa league for reijka, capable of scoring goals for fun. Behind Mahrez we've got Nathan Dyer, a well established premiership quality player with swansea and jeff Schlupp, who is just lacking consistency from being a top player.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    But the tempo and intensity of a league is undoubtedly affected by the quality of players playing in it. Jamie Vardy and co may be able to play at such a high intensity over long periods in lower divisions without getting punished but that doesn't mean they can carry it over an entire season at the top level of English football, and consequently, finish in the top 4. In fact, there's no evidence at all to back it up, yet.

Fitter than the rest of the division? On what basis? This is a highly subjective opinion, and not a very good one. Anyway, if I'm proved wrong, you can come back at me and gloat all you want, but I'll say this now, it would be a football miracle if Leicester finish in the top 6. I'm sure you can get some good odds on them finishing in the top 4 though since you seem very confident.
    Not really, the tempo and intensity are set by the playing styles of the teams - there's a gulf in quality but not in the speed of the game between the premiership and the lower leagues. If anything the better quality pitches make it easier to preserve the intensity (try running through a muddy quagmire and over clean turf and see which one tires you faster).

Well, on the basis we've come back from deficits so easily by outlasting sides, by continuing to play at such a high tempo right to the final whistle. Then there's also that when we've signed players from other premiership sides they've gone from being one of the fittest at their club to fairly unfit compared to our squad (hence Albrighton not breaking into the side right from the start last season). Our fitness really shouldn't be in question.

Longest you can get is 16s, with most hovering around 10s. Not that good tbh, you can get a Barcelona to win/Suarez top scorer double on the CL for a similar price (12s).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Again, false. Behind Vardy we've got okazaki, third top scorer of all time for his country (not scoring many at the moment purely because he's being played as a deep lying forward with the focus on creating for Vardy), Ulloa, who got 12 last season and Kramaric, with an international record of roughly 1 in 2 and as he showed in the Europa league for reijka, capable of scoring goals for fun. Behind Mahrez we've got Nathan Dyer, a well established premiership quality player with swansea and jeff Schlupp, who is just lacking consistency from being a top player.
    Okazaki has scored ONE goal for you. Being Japan's top scorer doesn't mean that much, especially when a lot of the goals came against countries who are League One quality. Let's just say the jury is out on him. Ulloa went six months of last season without scoring. It's safe to say he's not really a reliable option. Dyer and Schlupp aren't in Mahrez's class. Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Kramaric, but there's no guarantee he can join the side and score lots of goals. Particularly as there are many examples of players in sh*t leagues failing to make the step up e.g. Van Wolfswinkel. I don't take much stock in the qualifying round of the Wafer Cup, either.

The point is relying on two players outscoring teams isn't a sustainable strategy for a top 4 finish. If Vardy and Mahrez stay fit and on form, great. But it's a massive risk.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester. If we patch up our defence we can win the league

People always underestimate us and I don't know why. We probably have the fittest and fastest squad in the league, as well as the best mentality. People saying the whole team relies on Vardy (and Mahrez) obviously haven't watched us play, if Vardy got injured we'd still have several quality strikers and midfielders who could get the goals. The team is just playing to suit Vardy at the moment. We probably aren't Europe quality yet but you don't have to be paid 200k or play for a Manchester club to be a good player - or in a good team. If Drinkwater, Albrighton, Kante, Okazaki were playing for a team like Tottenham I'm pretty sure people would be rating them better.

Also, you can't injure Vardy. Shoot him in both legs and he'll still score.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Swansea were ill-advised letting Dyer go to Leicester, in truth.

Montero has struggled replicating that early season form, and they are struggling now to manage to achieve the lofty heights of last year. I think the speculation around Monk's job is quite funny, given his promise as a young manager, but no wins since August is worrying.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd love Saints to pull off another amazing season, but appreciate that may be a little optimistic. That said, we've had improving positions every season, so assuming the trend continues we should be ending in 6th or above. :awesome:

Spurs will probably take 4th though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Reluire)
    I'd love Saints to pull off another amazing season, but appreciate that may be a little optimistic. That said, we've had improving positions every season, so assuming the trend continues we should be ending in 6th or above. :awesome:

Spurs will probably take 4th though.
    It's hilarious how van Dijk is shining for you, given Newcastle and Sunderland were both tipped to be signing him and were apparently put off by the fee.

Quality costs, and he's a damn sight better than Coloccini and Kaboul respectively.

ReputationRep:
    Loool I live in Leicester, no-one in this city thinks we're getting top 4. Please, look at Liverpool, Sturridge will be out for most of the season and on a ridiculous wage I might add, Benteke is on par with Lukaku I'd say, and apart from that they have no forward line. Coutinho might score a few screamers, but at most he's half the player Eriksen is, and might get 10 goals this season. Firmino, looks bang average. Their defence and keeper is a joke, but let's compare.

Mignolet or Lloris? Lloris hands down.
    Walker or Clyne? 6/10 times Clyne, less experience than Walker, but more consistent in the last season.
    Skertel or Alderwerireld? Alderweireld, makes way less mistakes, all around more solid, and more consistent.
    Sakho/Lovren or Vertonghen? Vertonghen, much more composed on the ball, makes way less mistakes again, more consistent.
    Moreno or Rose? Rose again, he had a fantastic season this season, and already has 3 assists in only 5 appearances in all comps.

Milner or Dembele? Dembele all day, 3 goals in his last 4 appearances, bullied Arsenal, no further explanation needed.
    Henderson or Dier? Dier has been a rock in CDM, but Henderson, simply on the past few seasons overall.
    Coutinho or Eriksen? You take away the odd tap in and screamer, and what does coutinho actually do? Massively overrated, so I'd say Eriksen, who is the best free-kick taker in the league,and has ran rings around United, Arsenal, Liverpool and City. Not scored some chance screamer against Stoke.
    Lallana or Alli? They are tied in all fairness, but Delle Alli is near 10 years younger, and shows much more promise.
    Firmino or Lamela? Lamela has been good this season, an amazing work-rate, scored against city and notched 7 assists last season in addition to a beautiful rabona, and whilst Firmino hasn't exactly lit up Anfield, he still has plenty of time to progress, so I'd say tie.

Benteke or Kane? Lol, Benteke isn't fit to lace Kane's boots.

You can dispute that if you've actually bothered to read it, but how you can say Liverpool are as good a team as Tottenham is as much a joke as it is an insult.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by david_94)
    Sakho or Vertonghen? Vertonghen, much more composed on the ball, makes way less mistakes again, more consistent.
    FFS.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Payet out for three months. Bad news for West Ham and Bilic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Payet out for three months. Bad news for West Ham and Bilic.
    That's West Ham out of top 4 race for sure. Between Liverpool, spurs and Everton now for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    FFS.
    Lool Sakho looks like the Smalling of 2 years ago, he's ****, just like Liverpool's defence, and Liverpool got dominated by Arsenal and should have lost, we dominated Arsenal and should have won, and if you compare those two games the difference in quality is undeniable

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 20, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.