Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B882 - Face Coverings Prohibition Bill 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Under what "extreme weather conditions" would anyone use face coverings, might I ask? This is not a desert or Siberia, so I really do not see the need to cover one's face due to the weather.
    A snow storm for example. It happens in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The main point of the face vail is to stop the man for falling for a pretty girl and making them get to know the persons personality instead.
    If that is its purpose, why do women still wear a face veil after marriage? It is not like they are looking for a partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    A snow storm for example. It happens in Scotland.
    If that is the case, I will consider adding an exception to the ban on face coverings for extreme weather conditions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I'm pretty sure breaking into a shop and stealing something doesn't count as 'art, leisure or entertainment' :lol:
    Crime can be pretty entertaining, and has "entertainment" been defined?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Probably abstaining on this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is it something you do regularly then?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Is it something you do regularly then?
    No comment.

Do you seriously think all people Connor crime for reasons other than being bored? Do you think the angry anarchists on Thursday were doing that for any reason other than to get a kick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    I propose an amendment to 2(2) - that a clause 'g' is to be added stating 'for religious purposes'.
    Don't forget Halloween!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Indeed, some people do enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Indeed, some people do enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I particularly enjoyed poking a horse in the eye and scratching police cars last Thursday. Got an insane rush out of that, in my Nike pumps.

Thank god for austerity, gives me a good excuse to let off some steam.

ReputationRep:

Edit: People have the choice to express their religious beliefs, we should at least respect that. I know the whole idea of this bill is to discriminate against Islam, but is doing a poor job of it. If you want to ban the burkha, please be honest about it, and at least make it more reasonable. There's 1.57 billion Muslims in the world, and 2.7 million in the UK, they're are not all freaking terrorists, they're not all suicide bombers waiting to destroy the world, I know that seems hard for some of you to believe, but it's true. Otherwise the world would be much different to how it is now. Don't you think it's this sort of alienation, and discrimination, is what pushes a minority to the extremists?

ReputationRep:
    I think this Bill is far too vague. There are a small minority of police who misuse their powers and this is another vague piece of legislation they could use.

As for the comment about those who oppose the Bill and public nudity, my view is that on designated beaches and in saunas/spas that is OK to me, but my local high street (or any others) I want people to remain clothed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)

"Barbarians, nazi scum!"

"They are just expressing their religious right."
    The top set shouting racist slogans, the bottom set walking theough the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    The top set shouting racist slogans, the bottom set walking theough the street.
    Your suggesting that some Muslims are not racist to whites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Your suggesting that some Muslims are not racist to whites?
    No I'm saying. One shows people being racist the other people are walking down the street.

ReputationRep:
    I wear the face veil and find people such as yourself petty and ignorant. Why is it offending to you if I want to be modest? This is ridiculous.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    Nudists would disagree, but they shut up and accept the law. They do it at home and in special places. I don't see why other people wouldn't be able to just show their face in public.
    I really don't think you can compare religion to nudism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryammm)
    I wear the face veil and find people such as yourself petty and ignorant. Why is it offending to you if I want to be modest? This is ridiculous.
    Do you not feel it segregates you from other Brits. Not to mention the whole multicultural vs integration argument.

One can worship a spider as far as I'm concerned.. So long as they keep it in the home.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Yes, I am ok with allowing all citizens the free choice to cover their faces should they wish to do so. If you would talk to a few Muslim women, you will find that it is not seen as a system of control, but an exercise in free religious expression and modesty, as well as devotion to those that they love.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to wear my balaclava to the bank? It's nice and cosy,and I find it 'entertaining'.
    Well for people like me balaclavas are important cultural clothing...along with camo jackets, jeans and combat boots

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The blatant racism here is hilarious; mainly the right wingers who've clearly never lived, learned or worked alongside many Muslims.

If only Bevan's social housing scheme hadn't been ****ed up by the Tories.....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.