Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do people deserve benefits? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

People that are disabled are very much deserving of benefits as are the elderly, they cannot help situations like that. And I hate the said 'scum' you refer to which is who I meant for this thread
    scum was the civil way to express my feelings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Only british people

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    I've got zero problem with benefits going to those who, for whatever reason, struggle financially. I've claimed them myself in the past. Coming for a cosy middle class background, it was a bit of an eye opener trying to manage on such a low income. I've also worked with those who have been on benefits. Some of their stories of hardship are heart breaking (of the "do I go without food so I can provide heating for my kid?" variety).

But I'm really not all that keen on benefits for all used to essentially buy votes. Like why the **** does my wealthy Dad get winter fuel payments? He makes an annual joke about them helping to pay for his season ski pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I've got zero problem with benefits going to those who, for whatever reason, struggle financially. I've claimed them myself in the past. Coming for a cosy middle class background, it was a bit of an eye opener trying to manage on such a low income. I've also worked with those who have been on benefits. Some of their stories of hardship are heart breaking (of the "do I go without food so I can provide heating for my kid?" variety).

But I'm really not all that keen on benefits for all used to essentially buy votes. Like why the **** does my wealthy Dad get winter fuel payments? He makes an annual joke about them helping to pay for his season ski pass.
    Kid can live in a duvet.

Lets be honest though. Your dad is not the type of "scrounger" people and the gutter press get wound up about. But it is insane that we are getting rid of tax credits before taking away the type of benefit you describe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Should we not find a way to create new jobs then, in order to support these people? Rather than just giving them money. I mean even the average benefits claimant is 21-36, reasonably healthy and at least somewhat skilled
    Who is we? The Conservatives are against the state creating jobs and private enterprise (which they support) actively cuts the number of jobs to improve 'efficiency'.

The answer is yes of course. But the problem is the government is doing the opposite. They have cut jobs directly by reducing departmental budgets and indirectly by increasing the minimum wage. The only to get around this is to control the cost of living and restrict working hours to spreading jobs more evenly among the population. The government show no interest in doing this.

(Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume you mean how far back?
    I guess it goes back to when they are 16 ish, at that point they are generally responsible for a large part of their wellbeing
    Development research suggests people do not develop into adults cognitively until the early 20s. 16 years is an arbitrary number. As is 18.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    ah you've been caught by the media i know people who are disabled would love to work but can't due to this government red tape and they struggle to survive while scum such as jodie cunningham get thousands so find justice for that our elderly and disabled are struggling or crippled by debts but the scum get it all
    the scum don't get ask to do capability for work form or tests
    my godfather he's blind in one eye and can't walk unaided but he's been asked to do the test
    just put the scum down now
    Being unable to walk doesn't prevent you from working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Personally I believe that if they are able to work they should not get benefits at all, What do you guys think?
    And if there is no, or not enough, work available?

(As is the case?)

ReputationRep:
    Only if they have friends

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with benefits, we may all need them at sometimes
    I especially am in favour of working tax credits
    However I don't think it's fair that some people who are perfectly able to work live on benefits all their life
    Also I think there needs to be a crackdown on false claimants. For example I overhead a conversation at the bus station, one bloke (who I know is a druggie and lives on benefits) was saying to another 'aah just go to the doctors, say you have a mental health problems and you are seeing things, then you'll get disability benefits, I'll tell you what to say' and that made me proper angry because I know that idiot and I know the person didn't really have a problem, I know he claims falsely. Like don't get me wrong I completely agree with disability benefits for those who generally do have a disability, physical or mental, but that's plain lying and cheating the system and he didn't even care! Aaahhhhhhhh!!
    (Sorry guys, rant over)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean?
    people only deserve them if they have paid into them through taxes not just claimed them as soon as they got here from Poland etc
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jenni:))
    I don't have a problem with benefits, we may all need them at sometimes
    I especially am in favour of working tax credits
    However I don't think it's fair that some people who are perfectly able to work live on benefits all their life
    Also I think there needs to be a crackdown on false claimants. For example I overhead a conversation at the bus station, one bloke (who I know is a druggie and lives on benefits) was saying to another 'aah just go to the doctors, say you have a mental health problems and you are seeing things, then you'll get disability benefits, I'll tell you what to say' and that made me proper angry because I know that idiot and I know the person didn't really have a problem, I know he claims falsely. Like don't get me wrong I completely agree with disability benefits for those who generally do have a disability, physical or mental, but that's plain lying and cheating the system and he didn't even care! Aaahhhhhhhh!!
    (Sorry guys, rant over)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So, why haven't you reported him then?

ReputationRep:
    Can't post this anonymously but

My parents who have degrees and masters degrees, and who have studied in the west, take benefits because of unexpected illness/divorce. I don't understand what options there are for an educated man who had been diagnosed with an illness after his degree (like my dad) or my mum who divorced an abusive husband that left her with no child maintenance. Do they just become penniless out of principle, when there is a welfare state?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    Can't post this anonymously but

My parents who have degrees and masters degrees, and who have studied in the west, take benefits because of unexpected illness/divorce. I don't understand what options there are for an educated man who had been diagnosed with an illness after his degree (like my dad) or my mum who divorced an abusive husband that left her with no child maintenance. Do they just become penniless out of principle, when there is a welfare state?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is totally out their control so they 100% deserve benefits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

This is totally out their control so they 100% deserve benefits
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe that if you cannot control the situation then that's why benefits are there, not to support those who do not want to work

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    do you actually care what this boring sw561 idiot thinks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    do you actually care what this boring sw561 idiot thinks?
    I don't know much about him/her, so...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about him/her, so...
    so you don't care, like everyone else doesn't care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    so you don't care, like everyone else doesn't care
    no, I just read their posts and i disagree with what they're saying about benefits

ReputationRep:
    no, I just read their posts and i disagree with what they're saying about benefits
    i disagree too

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.