Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

S01 - SOI from The Department of the Environment, Energy and Climate Change watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Not the worst proposal however I note that there's nothing here to help the consumer and no funding plan.
    given that these won't be operational for another 9-10 years, to speculate on energy bills would be silly (similarly with Hinkley point, which would provide a lot of energy though there's nothing much on household bills). As for funding, it would most likely come from Labour's alternative Tax bill that we passed last term, though it will be confirmed in the Budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Not technically, it is located in Ulster.
    I know, but his political beliefs make him oblivious to this fact.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    I know, but his political beliefs make him oblivious to this fact.
    About the statement though, can I count on your support?

ReputationRep:
    I like the proposals and support it.
    But I reserve the right to bash you over the head, with the stick of underfunded incorrect costings.
    (Yes you are underestimating the cost of said development, I will go into detail when you release your budget)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    I like the proposals and support it.
    But I reserve the right to bash you over the head, with the stick of underfunded incorrect costings.
    (Yes you are underestimating the cost of said development, I will go into detail when you release your budget)
    Mind telling me what's incorrect about the costings?

I have looked into much detail into the costs, if I've got something wrong then please tell me and they'll be amended, however there's been nothing thus far to suggest that they are wrong.

Also, they will most likely be funded by the alternative tax bill we in labour passed last term, this will be confirmed in the budget though.

I must say, thank you for your support, it is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I thank the Secretary of State for setting out his plans and for the recognition of the contribution that tidal power can make. I think that there are other energy options that should be considered, especially more solar power, more wind turbines, and in particular measures to reduce energy consumption.

Can the Secretary of State advise the House of his views on the two other energy options I have mentioned, and on energy consumption?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    Calm down Gerry Adams, the plant is technically located in the historical county of Ulster, is it not?
    Yes, but Ulster is not included in the UK therefore it is wrong to call it Ulster.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    can I ask the minister where hinkley point C and the new neclear power station on anglesea fits into all of this?

ReputationRep:
    I support the proposals however, I would like to see more wind power as the UK has a lot of wind potential. What are the Minister's plans regarding fracking?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I Wish to Congratulate the Sectary Of State on a very Nice SOI , Alot of effort clearly went in to producing it , Although I am skeptical on the fence side of it , Can the Right Honourable Members Tell me how effective fences will be ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I thank the Secretary of State for setting out his plans and for the recognition of the contribution that tidal power can make. I think that there are other energy options that should be considered, especially more solar power, more wind turbines, and in particular measures to reduce energy consumption.

Can the Secretary of State advise the House of his views on the two other energy options I have mentioned, and on energy consumption?
    These can also be looked into, though solar and wind would not produce anything near the levels of output these fences do. I was also keen to invest in nuclear energy as it's a (relatively) cheap way of getting a lot of energy for a (relatively) short period of time while we invest in other energies. There are also great strands being made in the private sector in wind energy so I would prefer not to impede on that. I will be releasing further statements throughout the term detailing my plans to lower energy consumption, and reduce household bills.

(Original post by Aph)
    can I ask the minister where hinkley point C and the new neclear power station on anglesea fits into all of this?
    Hinkley point C and the Wylfa power station will continue as planned unless something changes. I must say though, they aren't really relevant to my statement.

(Original post by 90780)
    I support the proposals however, I would like to see more wind power as the UK has a lot of wind potential. What are the Minister's plans regarding fracking?
    These aren't the limits to what I will do as energy sec, though it's safe to say that these will be the most drastic changes. I am not in favour of fracking at all, and will seek to prevent the need for it whichever way I can.

(Original post by hazzer1998)
    I Wish to Congratulate the Sectary Of State on a very Nice SOI , Alot of effort clearly went in to producing it , Although I am skeptical on the fence side of it , Can the Right Honourable Members Tell me how effective fences will be ?
    The fences can produce 600MW at peak, and about 500MW on average, which is about the same as a small nuclear generator. They are similar to other turbines except their specific design also allows for the fences to sit deeper, and allow fish to pass through so with minimal damage to ecosystems. Overall, the fences will be very effective.

ReputationRep:
    Mind telling me what's incorrect about the costings?

I have looked into much detail into the costs, if I've got something wrong then please tell me and they'll be amended, however there's been nothing thus far to suggest that they are wrong.

Also, they will most likely be funded by the alternative tax bill we in labour passed last term, this will be confirmed in the budget though.

I must say, thank you for your support, it is much appreciated.
    The cost of building a nuclear power station is widely estimated (by the government, the EU and others) as being approx £22Bn, and even with the Chinese building them, around £18Bn. With £10Bn as a cheap-build under ideal circumstances.

( I would be interested in how you calculated your costings for nuclear.)

I will worry about the tax later
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The cost of building a nuclear power station is widely estimated (by the government, the EU and others) as being approx £22Bn, and even with the Chinese building them, around £18Bn. With £10Bn as a cheap-build under ideal circumstances.

( I would be interested in how you calculated your costings for nuclear.)

I will worry about the tax later
    Those costings are for Hinkley Point C which is a nuclear power plant many times the size of the ones I propose to build.

ReputationRep:
    Those costings are for Hinkley Point C which is a nuclear power plant many times the size of the ones I propose to build.
    O.o

That makes more sense.

so your proposal is to build many mini power plants, rather than a few big ones?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    O.o

That makes more sense.

so your proposal is to build many mini power plants, rather than a few big ones?
    They aren't mini, they are just average sized power plants, the Hinkley Point C will be massive. The idea is that we move as far as we can from fossil fuels, so the plants are a somewhat temporary (50 year) solution while we develop new technologies in renewables.

ReputationRep:
    They aren't mini, they are just average sized power plants, the Hinkley Point C will be massive. The idea is that we move as far as we can from fossil fuels, so the plants are a somewhat temporary (50 year) solution while we develop new technologies in renewables.
    What design will you be using? (what model of nuclear power plant?, I cant find any 800MW ones.)
    edit: this one is close.
    http://www.candu.com/en/home/candure...6/default.aspx
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I still do not see how £6bn was arrived at when Hinkley Point C has a total cost £34bn; nuclear power station cost cannot be scaled down to the same ratio output between the two compares.
    The costings are that of an everage sized power plant. No costs were scaled, they have nothing to do with each other.

ReputationRep:
    The costings are that of an everage sized power plant. No costs were scaled, they have nothing to do with each other.
    Please provide a source for all of the costs you have used in this Statement of Intent; the costs for tidal power appear to be optimistic.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I mean a comparison between a slightly new design and an entirely new concept isn't a fair one.
    A slightly new design to something that is barely used in the first place.
    Okay then, do you propose that new engines and the likes should be put straight into vehicles without any testing because all they are is a new design? How about new electronic devices, screw checking them, the last one was okay and this was is just a slightly new design.

You still haven't answered my questions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And what exactly is the point in building lots of small ones rather than fewer larger ones, which would be cheaper, most probably?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.