Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Being expected to take responsibility for your own safety isn't victim blaming watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigglr)
    It is the same as driving a car not wearing a seatbelt,
    wow didn't know wearing "skimpy clothing" was against the law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    wow didn't know wearing "skimpy clothing" was against the law
    Sometimes it borders with public nudity / indecent exposure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    So do YOU have cctv and bars on all your windows where you live?

Because if you don't, you're taking an unnecessary risk and are in no position whatsoever to criticise women for their actions.
    There are reasonable and less reasonable precautions when considering certain risks. Locking my doors and windows is a fairly reasonable precaution in my neighborhood of Toronto (and general common sense). Bars, CCTV cameras, guard dogs and booby traps would be a less necessary precaution and a tad excessive. Likewise, avoiding putting myself in very vulnerable positions while wondering off with strangers is a reasonable precaution. Wearing a bullet proof vest, chastity belt, and homing device at all times and never trusting anyone ever would be a much less necessary precaution and a tad excessive.

Getting the picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    There are reasonable and less reasonable precautions when considering certain risks. Locking my doors and windows is a fairly reasonable precaution in my neighborhood of Toronto (and general common sense). Bars, CCTV cameras, guard dogs and booby traps would be a less necessary precaution and a tad excessive. Likewise, avoiding putting myself in very vulnerable positions while wondering off with strangers is a reasonable precaution. Wearing a bullet proof vest, chastity belt, and homing device at all times and never trusting anyone ever would be a much less necessary precaution and a tad excessive.

Getting the picture?
    Telling women not to go out at night, not to get drunk, not to wear skimpy clothes and not to have consensual sex is unequivocally NOT a reasonable precaution. Its completely unnecessary, excessive, unreasonable and a ridiculous imposition on their fundamental rights to enjoy a normal social life.

ReputationRep:
    Telling women not to go out at night, not to get drunk, not to wear skimpy clothes and not to have consensual sex is unequivocally NOT a reasonable precaution. Its completely unnecessary, excessive, unreasonable and a ridiculous imposition on their fundamental rights to enjoy a normal social life.
    You are putting words in my mouth. I'm not suggesting we tell women not to go out, get drunk, wear skimpy clothes, or have consensual sex. What I'm saying is that it isn't wrong to encourage reasonable precaution when out and doing certain activities due to risks that may present themselves. There are safe decisions you can make while on a night out, and unsafe ones. Telling people to look both ways before crossing the street isn't telling them to never cross a street.

So no, I am not saying we should impose on their rights at all. This shouldn't be a difficult concept to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    You are putting words in my mouth. I'm not suggesting we tell women not to go out, get drunk, wear skimpy clothes, or have consensual sex. What I'm saying is that it isn't wrong to encourage reasonable precaution when out and doing certain activities due to risks that may present themselves. There are safe decisions you can make while on a night out, and unsafe ones. Telling people to look both ways before crossing the street isn't telling them to never cross a street.

So no, I am not saying we should impose on their rights at all. This shouldn't be a difficult concept to understand.
    Except, that is exactly what you and several other people on this thread are saying.

Strongly "encouraging" women not to act in a certain way and telling them not to do it are basically the same thing. You're splitting hairs.

ReputationRep:
    Except, that is exactly what you and several other people on this thread are saying.

Strongly "encouraging" women not to act in a certain way and telling them not to do it are basically the same thing. You're splitting hairs.
    But it's not what I'm saying at all. Look back through my posts. Is something wrong with your eyes?

I am not suggesting we strongly encourage women not to go out and drink. I'm saying we should encourage women to avoid putting themselves in vulnerable positions when out drinking (etc.) if they can. Most people should when out at night and consuming alcohol, in some way or another, anyway. For example, everyone should be encouraged to check if cabs are licensed, not to accept drugs from strangers, not to walk alone through the bad parts of town, not to drink 'till you pass out in unfamiliar places, etc., especially if you are in a position of physical vulnerability. But oh no, by telling people to be careful and to use common sense I'm infringing on their rights, right? No.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.