Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is emotional or physical pain worse? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Emotional by a long shot. I'm going through grief for the loss of three of my families lives within a short space of time, probably soon to loose a fourth and it feels like I'm wading through purgatory. I just want to feel happy again.
    I hope you get better soon and you can always PM if you need to

ReputationRep:
    Emotional, in my opinion, is way worse than physical. Emotional is just..... Ugh. Since 2011, I've been in a really deep depression and about 3 months ago I tried to kill myself. But now I've gotten help and spent 3 months in a residential home and it actually really helped a lot. Now don't get me wrong, physical pain can be pretty bad..... But not as much as emotional.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience I would say emotional. I've had severe physical pain such as TMJ pain, fractured ribs and pneumonia and they were hellish but nothing compared to the emotional distress my conditions like OCD and panics cause me. I would gladly take physical pain over emotional pain or distress any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    From my experience I would say emotional. I've had severe physical pain such as TMJ pain, fractured ribs and pneumonia and they were hellish but nothing compared to the emotional distress my conditions like OCD and panics cause me. I would gladly take physical pain over emotional pain or distress any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This.

Imagine there was a pill that could make people happy. How amazing would that be.

Unrelated but your cat looks evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haydieroxy)
    Emotional, in my opinion, is way worse than physical. Emotional is just..... Ugh. Since 2011, I've been in a really deep depression and about 3 months ago I tried to kill myself. But now I've gotten help and spent 3 months in a residential home and it actually really helped a lot. Now don't get me wrong, physical pain can be pretty bad..... But not as much as emotional.
    Also with physical people seem to understand more. If you were on the ground screaming because your leg was chopped off nobody would go 'omg look at that loser get a ******* grip its not that bad'. well probably not.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on the individual. I'd say emotional bc it messes with your mind. Like people when they self harm one of the reasons they do it is to turn their emotional pain to physical pain.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by vegdonald)
    Also with physical people seem to understand more. If you were on the ground screaming because your leg was chopped off nobody would go 'omg look at that loser get a ******* grip its not that bad'. well probably not.
    Not always true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Not always true
    sometimes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Definitely emotional pain - a broken heart is far worse than any physical pain - I know
    Yeah fam

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one to answer tbh. I've been both physically and verbally bullied and later had my existence denied by everyone around me which made me believe that I was invisible and inaudible for quite some time. The beatings hurt like hell, but I found that the pain could be escaped quite easily by distracting yourself. What did the most damage was the verbal bullying and being ignored by everyone.

Verbal bullying obliterates your self-esteem and can completely undermine your whole life. Unlike the beatings the pain doesn't fade over time. It stays and just gets worse until it either makes you commit suicide or drives you insane. It got to the point where every day I battled against the urge to commit suicide and I became so paranoid that I started believing that the whole world was out to kill me. I lost trust in my own family because of it.

Years later during one of the "beat on the loser" sessions I actually fought back for a change, I guess I scared the bullies quite a bit because the verbal and physical bullying stopped after that. Instead they then ignored me, to the point where they'd even try to walk and look through me! At first it was peaceful but after a while it really started to get to me. Eventually it drove me to the brink of insanity, at which point the doctors finally decided to put me on anti-depressants.

Unfortunately my only friend wasn't so lucky. The bullies changed her from a happy, carefree girl to a paranoid psychotic monster. In just two years they managed to give her depression, paranoia, bipolar disorder and psychotic episodes.

I haven't experienced any physical pain worse than being beaten everyday at school, which is nothing in comparison to some other things, so I can only speak for myself when I say this, but I consider emotional pain to be far worse than physical pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    I guess it depends on the individual. I'd say emotional bc it messes with your mind. Like people when they self harm one of the reasons they do it is to turn their emotional pain to physical pain.
    That's exactly it! Physical pain is almost therapeutic when you're suffering from depression because it's almost like you're transferring it away from your brain.

ReputationRep:
    emotional
    as you can work physical with co codamol and vodka

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.