Turn on thread page Beta

Big Dave attacks his local council for making cuts. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    You're not pragmatic. You're short termist, as anyone who sanctions a party who has cut DEFRA as savagely as the Tories recently have must be.

The left doesn't "need" to do anything. In fact, if Tory policy is required to get into power, power isn't worth it.

Yeah, that's right, principles, which you clearly don't have, which is probably why you describe such people as "deluded"; you simply cannot comprehend the concept of being principled.
    Oh yes, another leftie cliche; "principled". You make following policies that no one wants, so no one votes for, sound so noble

I love the hypocrisy of the left; it was like when Ed Miliband was banging on about zero hour contracts and it turns out most of his MP's actually employed people on them

Short termist? Coming from the left who want to borrow borrow borrow and who cares when it comes to paying it back? Fascinating.

Calling choosing policies no one wants "principled" oh dear lord.
    (Original post by looseseal)
    Good lord. There's so many strawmen arguments in your reply I don't even know where to start.

Once again, Corbyn didn't say that - you can keep on repeating it all you like but it doesn't make it any more true a statement. It seems for some reason in politics, the paraphrased quote of a politician often becomes assumed fact - devoid of any context. Also, I don't even know how Gordon Brown came in this discussion. It seems that if a person dares to criticise the Tory government they suddenly get attributed to being some kind of Labourite. Not every one is tribal as you'd like to think.

YES. HE. DID. I imagine you never watched his speech. The context I have included it was in was 100% correct. Hilarious how you try and deny blatant fact-watch the speech and then tell me what he said then?
    Oh I forgot, like the offer of a bet this is another off that will not be taken up.

The existence of that letter alone should merit ridicule from all sides of an "unbiased" media regardless of the behaviour of the opposition leader. As a previous poster mentioned, that letter is the kind of thing you'd expect in a sitcom or comedy sketch show. I've always thought Cameron to be a relatively smart man but the fact he wrote that letter makes definitely makes me question that assertion. The media should be all over this like a rash but yet they seem to be sitting on their hands, quietly tip-toeing around the story, more intent on calculating whether the angle of Corbyn's bow was deep enough or if he knelt to an archaic relic of the country's past.

Oh, still not over the conspiracy theory.

In all honesty, to suggest there isn't a media bias is nothing short of ludicrous. Just take a look at the major newspapers/media outlets, their circulation numbers and then their political leanings. It's really not that hard to come to the conclusion there's exists a media bias. That being said, I would've thought the amount of vitriol levelled at both Milliband and more recently Corbyn would have made that much more apparent. You seem to have a wilful disregard to look at issues critically.
    Shock horror, when the public reject the left the media tend to shift to the right! Perhaps when the left has overseen the worst financial crash in 100 years, the worst immigration period for god knows how long, the worst debt since again god knows...
    perhaps the left are being rightly ridiculed?

Again-when you follow ridiculous policies it is "principled". When you get criticised for having ridiculous policies it is "media conspriacy".
    Oh, this stuff just gets better and better

Let us look at the issue "critically"; you propose policies no one wants *cough mass immigration and high welfare, poor national defence and an even poorer country once the endless borrowing comes back to bite us* and then blame it on conspiracy theories and a lack of principles.

(Original post by Nightwing_)
    Mate, I'm checking out of this argument now. It has become quite clear you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Most people have put forward rainy robust arguments and you just keep flailing about saying Corbyn, public, deficit, immigrants. You've not once come out with anything we can maturely debate with, I've tried several times, but I guess I'm giving up on you. Unfortunately I feel this is why the conservatives won, there are just too many people that believe what they want no matter how often they are proved wrong. Who knows what'll. happen in 2020, I just hope you get a bit of an education and grow up a bit before then.

Oh look, the hatrick; the left being the more intelligent. Ironic since so many of their supporters are third world immigrants and benefit claimants.

We have the full house of typical left wing excuses;

1) We lost because of the media conspiracy. (Not because the media report our policies and our policies are proven to be naff. Our leader with the worst policies of them all is criticised more than others due to this).

2) We lost due to having "principles". Namely ramming policies down the throats of people who don't want it. Then when the media are critical of the leader who proposes yet more of this we will go and say we are "principled" for ignoring democracy.

3) When we lose due to the media conspiracy and other devious dark forced conspiring against us we; say that the right need to learn something. We say this despite out vote relying on benefit claimants and those from the third world.]

Oh comedy gold. "Big Dave" won't get slated for this, I have said why, and how upset this all makes you is so sweet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Oh yes, another leftie cliche; "principled". You make following policies that no one wants, so no one votes for, sound so noble

I love the hypocrisy of the left; it was like when Ed Miliband was banging on about zero hour contracts and it turns out most of his MP's actually employed people on them

Short termist? Coming from the left who want to borrow borrow borrow and who cares when it comes to paying it back? Fascinating.

Calling choosing policies no one wants "principled" oh dear lord.

Shock horror, when the public reject the left the media tend to shift to the right! Perhaps when the left has overseen the worst financial crash in 100 years, the worst immigration period for god knows how long, the worst debt since again god knows...
    perhaps the left are being rightly ridiculed?

Again-when you follow ridiculous policies it is "principled". When you get criticised for having ridiculous policies it is "media conspriacy".
    Oh, this stuff just gets better and better

Let us look at the issue "critically"; you propose policies no one wants *cough mass immigration and high welfare, poor national defence and an even poorer country once the endless borrowing comes back to bite us* and then blame it on conspiracy theories and a lack of principles.

Oh look, the hatrick; the left being the more intelligent. Ironic since so many of their supporters are third world immigrants and benefit claimants.

We have the full house of typical left wing excuses;

1) We lost because of the media conspiracy. (Not because the media report our policies and our policies are proven to be naff. Our leader with the worst policies of them all is criticised more than others due to this).

2) We lost due to having "principles". Namely ramming policies down the throats of people who don't want it. Then when the media are critical of the leader who proposes yet more of this we will go and say we are "principled" for ignoring democracy.

3) When we lose due to the media conspiracy and other devious dark forced conspiring against us we; say that the right need to learn something. We say this despite out vote relying on benefit claimants and those from the third world.]

Oh comedy gold. "Big Dave" won't get slated for this, I have said why, and how upset this all makes you is so sweet.
    You're actually a leftie, the weird thing is you hate yourself for it.

ReputationRep:
    lol at the people moaning in the daily mail etc...
    you voted them in...don't even know why people who are suffering or not very rich vote conservative?

ReputationRep:
    I REALLY hope corbyn opens the next pmqs with ' I have a letter here from David, he's worried about cuts to his local council':

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I REALLY hope corbyn opens the next pmqs with ' I have a letter here from David, he's worried about cuts to his local council':
    Same. It's almost as if Corbyn's whole "letters from the public" tactic has been building up to this exact moment.

This is honestly one of the most ridiculous things I've experienced a PM doing - i really want to know what was going through his mind when he wrote that letter :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps when the left has overseen the worst financial crash in 100 years, .
    You mean the republicans?

ReputationRep:

Like Natalie Bennett will solve anything. Just see her car crash interview on housing. She is typical of the left-all talk, no action, no way of putting in to place her plans even if she borrows all the money under the sun.
    Speaking of Natalie Bennett, she recently marched with a Marxist student association in London. That's not my description of them. It's theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Speaking of Natalie Bennett, she recently marched with a Marxist student association in London. That's not my description of them. It's theirs.
    Your point being?

ReputationRep:
    No-one has picked up on the staggering assertion, which I assume is true, from the Council leader:

Already approximately 50% of our budget is spent on only 2% of the population...by 2020 this is likely to be 75%
    Traditionally Councils look at needs and services but there comes a point when you have to look at users.

There will always be people who, for a variety of reasons, make a substantial call on public spending but ultimately there becomes an issue of fairness to taxpayers.

Oxfordshire's population is about 675,000. 2% of that is 13,500.

Oxon County Council's budget is £438M. Half of that is £219M (both Cameron and the Council leader are excluding schools from these figures)

What that means is that 13,500 people are receiving Council services costing on average £16,222 each a year.

ReputationRep:
    The response to David Cameron if the figures are accurate is a well argued case, and a better and more honest use of statistics than Conservative Central Office use.

The point that I think of is that one of the features of Gideon's cuts (the Chancellor, for those unaware of Mr Osborne's real name) is that they have been heavily skewed so that more reductions are to bodies other than central government. So local authorities in general, the Police, NGOs etc. So Gideon doesn't have to make many of the tough decisions and others get some of the blame. The 'devolution' revolution will transfer responsibility to local authorities and then the funding for these areas will be cut shortly afterwards, I expect.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.