Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Look, if someone is still a virgin by the time they get to heaven...
    they are probably UGLY. Those 72 virgins are not a blessing.

But on a serious note such a ridiculous view. I don't get it either. Blatantly trying to win over frustrated guys. I mean what God says "this is a guy, so he must have 70 women who while I also created them their sole purpose is to please this man".
    http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/31643 - if you really want to understand this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    Actually that is a myth non-Muslims like to spread around, and that sadly many Muslims themselves also believe. Also, it would still be more pure in the afterlife because in heaven there is no such thing as sin. What men and women desire in this life is permissible in heaven. Sex in this life is a test for us to overcome in order to prove we deserve the final reward. So it's not the same.
    Non-Muslims say the virgins are a reward for being a suicide bomber or a martyr, but actually a harem of houris is a reward for all men and 72 is the minimum.

Why is the afterlife allowed to be an orgy but not this life and if the afterlife is allowed to be an orgy, why do people think Westerners who go clubbing and having sex are sinful and sleazy?

In principle, I could be a Muslim, but nobody is able to address any of the questions I've asked throughout this thread without either telling me 'only God knows this'..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverton)
    Because that's what I was taught from a young age
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    You must be joking. Is this a serious reason? You were taught that Santa Claus gives presents do you believe this as well?
    Parents are not the most reliable people in the world nor the most educated/intelligent .
    You have to search it a little bit ,don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rad Prince)
    Non-Muslims say the virgins are a reward for being a suicide bomber or a martyr, but actually a harem of houris is a reward for all men and 72 is the minimum.

Why is the afterlife allowed to be an orgy but not this life and if the afterlife is allowed to be an orgy, why do people think Westerners who go clubbing and having sex are sinful and sleazy?

In principle, I could be a Muslim, but nobody is able to address any of the questions I've asked throughout this thread without either telling me 'only God knows this'..
    http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/31643

They are one of the rewards given to martyrs, yes. Not all men.

Who said anything about an orgy? And, not all 'Westerners' go clubbing and have sex. Non-Westerners could do the same, so I would count them as being in the same category. But these two things are sinful and sleazy to me, a Muslim, and I guess I spoke for most Muslims. The reason we are not allowed all of this in this life is because we are being tested, to see if we are worthy of heaven. We are obeying our Creator, like you would obey (or disobey) a parent. This life is full of sin. Heaven, however, is perfect - there is no sin.

Which questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Of course. The purpose of life is to find your own personal purpose in order to survive the realisation of purposelessness of life itself :mmm:
    That's nice. The delusion of purpose in life is necessary in order to avoid suicide or ultimate misery :unsure:
    Or perhaps there is a reason out there, which we should try to investigate. If I'd ever believe to some sort of god it will be the universe and its compexity. I also believe to humans instead of god : they will one day do more things than a modern god would do (as it happened with so many religions before).
    Philosophy+Science+Arts= culture > theory of god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hfelicia79)
    I believe in God because with so much evil in the world it's comforting to think there's some form of justice for them. I can't really explain it. It's not like it's being under informed that's brought me here, I'm studying Physics at the moment, I don't think there's a bearded man in the clouds, it's just that comfort you get from as source of faith
    So you want to fool yourself: like being comfortably numb? It would be better but harder if you tried to diminish 'evil' rather than imagine that they'll one day burn to hell ,don't you think?
    I don't understand why people trust religion more than sciences.I've heard some religious people not taking Physics because they believed it was too atheist discipline: why people don't understand their potentials?
    But you are in a good way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaeden)
    I'd rather say I believe in God instead of saying I don't just in case there's really a place called Heaven up there.

You know.... to avoid getting the gates closed in my face.
    So the reason is practical, I see.
    I've heard of many people commiting suicides because they thought that's the way to have a place in heaven.
    Do it ,just in case they are true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picklescamp)
    I believe in the soul and I feel like I've encountered spirits due to past experiences, so I think there's something out there. I was also raised and still to an extent an a Catholic so I have faith in a God. However I consider myself agnostic because regardless of faith or intensity of beliefs we can't know if God is real or not. We're all agnostic really.
    Hey, I just want to say I must apologise for not responding to you the other day in that thread about morality. I did not make a personal attack against you! It was an argument from analogy, but sorry... I wrote out a huge response explaining myself and then my browser just died and I lost it and I just simply could not commit to writing such a response out again :L

You don't need to know if someone is real or not to believe or not believe in it. We cannot know if electrons are real but many people believe in them. Agnosticism is not the idea that we can't know for certain that God exists or doesn't exist, it is the far more outrageous claim that we cannot know anything at all concerning God and if you take existence to be a property (which is debateable) then, agnosticism is probably false because we can have good reason to think God doesn't exist if his existence would mean that certain things within the world would be likely and we have empirical evidence to prove they ain't. And vice versa for believing he's real.

As for the soul stuff... Well that's all a bit woo-woo :P

ReputationRep:
    This is something I find strange about believers in mainstream religions, the assumption that if God exists an afterlife must also exist and that this afterlife must be both permanent and right the wrongs of the previous life on Earth. Why would everyone necessarily live forever in the afterlife? Why would there be a flaming pit? Why would God care whether or not we masturbated or prayed? Why would it be permanent?

EDIT: Also, if God knows there are people who will choose to do evil and as such he will punish them in the afterlife, why does he choose to create them?

and why is it sinful for me to even ask these questions?
    Very few mainstream religious people believe in those things you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    There is plenty of evidence for God's existence. People will say I'm biased but for me personally the best evidence is the Qur'an, in which the origins of the universe were written about over 1400 years ago. Not to mention the countless scientific facts that have taken us humans centuries to discover.
    Same for the Holy Bible and so many other holy texts

ReputationRep:
    I believe that we were made for relationship with God and everyone needs Him in a different way (I think this explains our obsession with knowing whether or not He exists and why so few people are actually atheists) - the reason I am a Christian is that my whole life, I never felt loved by anyone. Not my parents or my siblings or my friends or my best friend. I never believed that it was possible for anyone to love me and it kinda destroyed me. Then I gave my life to God and He slowly began revealing His great love for me.

He literally gave up His only son, He went through one of the most painful deaths known to man (God is Jesus and the Holy Spirit), went to hell for three days just to be in relationship with me. Nothing I can do will ever affect that love. I believe in God because yes because I believe there is scientific proof, yes because I have experienced miraculous healing in my mental health, yes because of undeniable personal experiences of His presence, but also because I don't want to know who I'd be without knowing He loves me and that I love him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    I didn't say it was to 'serve the creator' I believe that it's your life and only you can make it to what you want.
    Then what purpose does having a creator add to your life?

Does your life have more meaning simply because you were born from a father and a mother rather than being a test-tube baby?

ReputationRep:
    I don't.

ReputationRep:
    1. Religion doesn't prevent us from achieving what we want and being happy.
    Except it does. I don't know about islam, but catholicism basically calls enjoyment of anything natural a sin.

And after all the "happiness" in this world is over and we die, what is left?
    If there's no after-afterlife, what's the point of afterlife, then?

What does having an afterlife add to your 'life'?

2. Unless the 'master' created this slave, this isn't a great metaphor. I'm Muslim and yes, as Muslims we are slaves of Allah. We "pick fruit" for Him because He created us and gave us everything we have in this world.
    Ha. So basically happy slaves. Very meaningful indeed.

And finally, worshipping God does not take away from happiness. For some happiness is getting drunk over the weekend and ending up in a stranger's bed. For me it's praying every day knowing a reward is waiting for me in the afterlife, if I'm lucky enough to see heaven. That is a greater purpose. Is my life less purposeful because I'm spending it worshipping my Creator?
    First of all, I didn't say your life will necessarily be less purposeful, I'm just saying there's no way you must absolutely need to have a belief in god to have a purposeful life. In fact, since god doesn't exist, religious people give purposes to their lives the exact same way non-religious people do - we do invent/find purposes for ourselves.

Actually, there's no purpose from god ever if gods do exist - gods never actually talked to you personally. With or without a god, you're still creating purposes for yourself, and your purposes just happen to be inspired by a book called the Koran instead of Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    ITT

Euphoric AF

ReputationRep:
    I believe in Shrek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Except it does. I don't know about islam, but catholicism basically calls enjoyment of anything natural a sin.

If there's no after-afterlife, what's the point of afterlife, then?

What does having an afterlife add to your 'life'?

Ha. So basically happy slaves. Very meaningful indeed.

First of all, I didn't say your life will necessarily be less purposeful, I'm just saying there's no way you must absolutely need to have a belief in god to have a purposeful life. In fact, since god doesn't exist, religious people give purposes to their lives the exact same way non-religious people do - we do invent/find purposes for ourselves.

Actually, there's no purpose from god ever if gods do exist - gods never actually talked to you personally. With or without a god, you're still creating purposes for yourself, and your purposes just happen to be inspired by a book called the Koran instead of Harry Potter.
    Well, I can only comment on my religion, and in Islam we're not kept from enjoying what's natural. However we might have different views on what's natural. Being promiscuous and having sex before marriage might be the norm for a non-Muslim. Muslims, however, are encouraged to wait for marriage and then afterwards enjoy having sex with their spouses.

"After-Afterlife"? Heaven is eternal. So I don't understand what you're asking.

Right. Maybe when you say slave you think of someone bound in chains. We are His slaves because what we do in this life is for Him.

Lastly, there is no need to mock my religion and holy book. You can't simply state "god doesn't exist" because you have absolutely no evidence for this. If you believe this, fine, but it is not a fact like you make it seem to be.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can only comment on my religion, and in Islam we're not kept from enjoying what's natural. However we might have different views on what's natural. Being promiscuous and having sex before marriage might be the norm for a non-Muslim. Muslims, however, are encouraged to wait for marriage and then afterwards enjoy having sex with their spouses.
    There are two types of views - the correct ones and incorrect ones. Whether something is 'natural' is objective and is not an opinion. Being promiscuous and polygamy are natural. But hey at least islam has the latter covered!

"After-Afterlife"? Heaven is eternal. So I don't understand what you're asking.
    My question was very clear: How exactly does an afterlife give you purposes? But then in islam they promised 73 virgins so perhaps there is!

Right. Maybe when you say slave you think of someone bound in chains. We are His slaves because what we do in this life is for Him.
    Slaves were and are not chains most of the time.

Lastly, there is no need to mock my religion and holy book. You can't simply state "god doesn't exist" because you have absolutely no evidence for this. If you believe this, fine, but it is not a fact like you make it seem to be.
    A personal god who's all-powerful, all-knowing, omnipresent, benevolent is impossible. This is enough evidence. But yes, there's no evidence that a pantheistic god cannot exist in some way at some point in time.

But why are you ignoring the part where I told you it doesn't actually matter? Believers and non-believers all got their purposes out on thin air. You were inspired by the Koran, some people were inspired by The Bible, whilst others were inspired by The Lord of the Rings. It's not 'mocking' your religion to suggest that other people may be as inspired by other books (which you clearly look down upon) as much as you do to yours.

ReputationRep:
    Because believing in Him is genuinely is a beautiful way to learn about respecting the sanctity of life and gaining an appreciation of what it means to be more than just an organism in existence by chance. Plus believing in God helps me stay inspired to help people and volunteer, so obviously I turn up for God on Sundays

ReputationRep:
    72 world of warcraft experts, Diamond 1 League of Legends pros :rofl:

Osama you tricked me

They are actually Houris created to reward men rather than women who died virgins, but I really do question the inconsistently of banning sex before marriage in this world, banning masturbation, but also offering every man dozens of sex-slaves in the next. Having a gf is much more pure than a cosmic harem, and this doesn't even get on to the issue of how the man's wife would feel in the afterlife seeing the man who was her husband in the previous life, suddenly with a harem of sex-slaves. She would be furious.
    I agree, so you have to live a life of no sex before marriage...before getting 72 of them when you die. Though Islamic cultures are happy with multiple wives so that is ok. The thing is that when you die you body dies as well. When we go to heaven it is just our soul; our soul does not need to urinate, so it has no need for a penis. As for sex, well, you have no body. So how can these 72 virgins have sex with you?

Incredible how desperate some people are.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.