x Turn on thread page Beta

Asian/Muslim teens - are you allowed to live away for uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Mal)
    erm i will vm u
    And me? I'm nosy to find out lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safiyyah98)
    I don't even want to live away for uni but because my father doesn't want me to it kind of makes me want to lol. Don't get me wrong, my father isn't one of those stereotypical pakistani dads who are strict he is actually kinda cool and laid back and we have interesting debates about stuff like this and I feel like he just doesn't want me to live away because he's just overprotective which is understandable. Also maybe because he is afraid I'll get mixed up with the wrong crowd and lose my deen which I have to tell him that ain't happening because all through secondary school I haven't succumbed to peer pressure once. Anyway my question is are your parents fully on board with you living away for uni?
    Hey saffiyah i will he most likely to be moving out if i go to uni my mum is very supportive of this and wants me to.do well i think its ur dad being too overprotective tell him that he can see u on skype or facetime what u applying for?

ReputationRep:
    My parents are pretty iffy about me moving out for uni. My mum on one hand has the stereotypical asian parent view of moving out for uni so it's a straight up no no. My dad isn't cool with it either but his reasons are different to my mum's. He is a criminal defence solicitor, which has made him pretty paranoid about my safety and such seeing as he has to face all the horror stories first hand. Having said that, I've only applied to 1 uni in my city, another is close by (so could probably still live at home) and the last 3 are pretty far away. We'll see if I actually move out though

ReputationRep:
    I don't even want to live away for uni but because my father doesn't want me to it kind of makes me want to lol. Don't get me wrong, my father isn't one of those stereotypical pakistani dads who are strict he is actually kinda cool and laid back and we have interesting debates about stuff like this and I feel like he just doesn't want me to live away because he's just overprotective which is understandable. Also maybe because he is afraid I'll get mixed up with the wrong crowd and lose my deen which I have to tell him that ain't happening because all through secondary school I haven't succumbed to peer pressure once. Anyway my question is are your parents fully on board with you living away for uni?
    I'm pure muslim paki, oh yeah my parents want me to stay in Birmingham so ima commute to Warwick uni each day. Its only 30 mins. I could never leave my parents. I owe them everything. I believe in Allah, Mohammed is his messenger.

My family would have liked me to stay at home but for my future they'd do anything and so yes i am at uni away from home and everyone is very happy!

ReputationRep:
    Yup, male though. Sister is allowed too though. My parents respect a degree at much better uni than a closer normal one. I know others that don't care how good the uni is, just how close.

ReputationRep:
    unconditional offer Not actually started yet :P lol
    No that was really helpful, thanks I completely agree, we have to do whats best for our education. Are you at uni now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Who's deen and why might he get lost?
    Tbh , if a muslim goes to uni with sexual and other haram intentions. What's to stop them following through , regardless of whether they live at home away. It's not parents can keep you at home for your whole life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xGCSE_Studentx)
    And me? I'm nosy to find out lol
    just read his lol

ReputationRep:
    My parents and I had a deal. If I stay in London (where I originally live) I can stay out in halls. However, my brother goes to Cardiff and lives out. They don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Mal)
    my mum kicked me out so many times as a teen so ye lol
    Omg why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    My family generally would like me to stay home, as there's a very prestigious university here that'd be perfectly fine for what I'd like to do. Also, letting like 5 siblings go outside for uni costs quite a bit.

Although if I got invited to Oxbridge or another good uni, my familywould support me in a heartbeat
    Aw yeah uni defo isn't cheap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonynmous)
    loool nah g my mum prolly did dis

Attachment 477787
    lmfao :d :d :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiator12345)
    Hey saffiyah i will he most likely to be moving out if i go to uni my mum is very supportive of this and wants me to.do well i think its ur dad being too overprotective tell him that he can see u on skype or facetime what u applying for?
    Haha yeah, my mum doesn't mind and I think its cuz he's scared I'll go astray. I am applying for child nursing wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmath)
    My parents are pretty iffy about me moving out for uni. My mum on one hand has the stereotypical asian parent view of moving out for uni so it's a straight up no no. My dad isn't cool with it either but his reasons are different to my mum's. He is a criminal defence solicitor, which has made him pretty paranoid about my safety and such seeing as he has to face all the horror stories first hand. Having said that, I've only applied to 1 uni in my city, another is close by (so could probably still live at home) and the last 3 are pretty far away. We'll see if I actually move out though
    Haha keep us posted!! I can understand it from your dads point of view though

ReputationRep:
    lmfao :d :d :d
    It's so sad isn't it? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidMIliband)
    I'm pure muslim paki, oh yeah my parents want me to stay in Birmingham so ima commute to Warwick uni each day. Its only 30 mins. I could never leave my parents. I owe them everything. I believe in Allah, Mohammed is his messenger.
    Thats why I don't want to leave either but I'd like to know that I have an option you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamranhyder)
    unconditional offer Not actually started yet :P lol
    Lol, wow how did you get an unconditional offer? For what course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynmous)
    It's so sad isn't it? :rofl:
    NGL its bloody hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    My family would have liked me to stay at home but for my future they'd do anything and so yes i am at uni away from home and everyone is very happy!
    Sounds like you have very supportive parents!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.