Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know about university of Alberta, Canada...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirgeo1)
    When the university is going to open online admission in the subject field for the year 2016-17 intake....
    ( I am a geologist with 10 years of E&P sector experience having good credentials and 6.5 overall IELTS ( 6 in each section) .... Will i be having a chance to get into the university....
    Kind Regards,
    Aamir Khan
    Why do you want to go back to uni lol .... the oil industry is all about experience. If you are concerned about academia avoid oil. If you wanna make good money fast at the time and don't care about job security go for oil. But your intelligence won't be utilised.

- I worked for Schlumberger. I have a masters in mech eng.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Dav for kind message, u are right but am sure at the same time learning has no boundaries and it will help in increasing my knowledge more. Rest you know its very expansive to get enrolled in any foreign university , i am being supported by my company that's why i am looking into it...
    Kind Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirgeo1)
    Thanks Dav for kind message, u are right but am sure at the same time learning has no boundaries and it will help in increasing my knowledge more. Rest you know its very expansive to get enrolled in any foreign university , i am being supported by my company that's why i am looking into it...
    Kind Regards
    Usually you go to a good uni to get a good grad job, if you are already in a job try and pick a uni with the course that covers what you want to learn rather than just a good uni. If you get me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeoPaul)
    Hey, I really wasn't sure how my interview went. I messed up in a couple of places. HOWEVER, I found out this morning that I have sponsorship from Total! So I am beyond happy right now. How about you?
    Yeah, I think the same! That's fantastic news though, congrats!! Unfortunately I guess I wasn't what they were looking for so I'll have to find work in something else for graduation :/ best of luck for September though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Yeah, I think the same! That's fantastic news though, congrats!! Unfortunately I guess I wasn't what they were looking for so I'll have to find work in something else for graduation :/ best of luck for September though
    I am really sorry to hear that! Sorry that I am bragging about it on here.. Thank you though, and best of luck for the future

ReputationRep:
    @geopaul rosiesaurus aamirgeo1

Just got my offer from the imperial college business school

I think my course is based mainly in royal school of mines so im sure ill see you guys

Is it too late to be considered for scholarships?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    @geopaul rosiesaurus aamirgeo1

Just got my offer from the imperial college business school

I think my course is based mainly in royal school of mines so im sure ill see you guys

Is it too late to be considered for scholarships?
    Congrats!! I won't be there cause I can't afford it, but Paul will be
    For petroleum you had to apply before the 4/1 as they did interviews for scholarships at the open day on the 29/1 - I don't know if its the same for your course?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is an excellent university and rightly so you should be sad to be unsuccesful, should I be rejected I will also be upset.

As for what you will do, fortunately for you imperial is not the best university in the UK for Petroleum Geosciences - Herriot-Watt is. You should also apply to aberdeen and manchester these 3 (alongside imperial) are the strongest pet geo courses in europe.

Finally universities such as the colorado school of mines and texas a&m are miles ahead of imperial or any other european university, so perhaps look into the states.

I still find it strange that imperial would reject you. Did you recieve at least a 2.1 undergraduate degree? Is your written english up to standard? With your experience there was no doubt in my mind you would recieve a place.
    Herriot-Watt is the best for Petroleum Engineering. Imperial is the best for Petroleum Geosciences. I know because I've done the Imperial course and spoken to many industry professionals. It is widely regarded. I know the course leaders personally and can tell you that there are many reasons why you could have been rejected, namely because the competition this year was so high. To add to that, it's even less likely that you would have been awarded an industry sponsor this year, as they have fewer scholarships than ever to offer. It's a bad time for the industry and this is reflected in the course admissions. Apply again in a few years when there will be more sponsorships places available. You're much more likely to get it if you have industry experience. Having good grades isn't necessarily enough I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5qpgfgzk)
    Herriot-Watt is the best for Petroleum Engineering. Imperial is the best for Petroleum Geosciences. I know because I've done the Imperial course and spoken to many industry professionals. It is widely regarded. I know the course leaders personally and can tell you that there are many reasons why you could have been rejected, namely because the competition this year was so high. To add to that, it's even less likely that you would have been awarded an industry sponsor this year, as they have fewer scholarships than ever to offer. It's a bad time for the industry and this is reflected in the course admissions. Apply again in a few years when there will be more sponsorships places available. You're much more likely to get it if you have industry experience. Having good grades isn't necessarily enough I'm afraid.
    was speaking general repute among oil and gas companies herriot-watt is simply put a global powerhouse. But imperial is definitely as good/better (i'm going there for a reason :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Congrats!! I won't be there cause I can't afford it, but Paul will be
    For petroleum you had to apply before the 4/1 as they did interviews for scholarships at the open day on the 29/1 - I don't know if its the same for your course?
    that sucks can't you apply for student finance? thats 10k done in the same manner your undergrad would have been done, if thats not enough theres also the PCD Loan.

ReputationRep:
    Herriot-Watt is the best for Petroleum Engineering. Imperial is the best for Petroleum Geosciences. I know because I've done the course and spoken to many industry professionals. It is widely regarded

ReputationRep:
    Herriot-Watt is the best for Petroleum Engineering. Imperial is the best for Petroleum Geosciences. I know because I've done the course and spoken to many industry professionals. It is widely regarded
    Second this. Imperial and Aberdeen are the two names you always come across for the petroleum geoscience course, of which imperial is slightly better in my opinion.

Herrio***** is an engineering university and their geoscience course is relative new.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't have thought imperial is best for petroleum geosciences coming from 3 years in a petroleum background going to seminars, speaking to ex VPs of BP and shell the one uni that was touted as "best" was always herriot-watt. Honestly I don't even care though 1) I'm attending imperial in october and 2) I'm not doing petroleum geoscience.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't have thought imperial is best for petroleum geosciences coming from 3 years in a petroleum background going to seminars, speaking to ex VPs of BP and shell the one uni that was touted as "best" was always herriot-watt. Honestly I don't even care though 1) I'm attending imperial in october and 2) I'm not doing petroleum geoscience.
    We all have petroleum geology/ engineering backgrounds here. I guess people have different opinions depending on who you're speaking to.

Anyway, congrats on your offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeoPaul)
    We all have petroleum geology/ engineering backgrounds here. I guess people have different opinions depending on who you're speaking to.

Anyway, congrats on your offer
    Yeah, and given a choice between imperial and herriot-watts courses in petroleum geoscience I would choose imperial without a second thought as I personally always thought imperial was superior but have been told otherwise by industry professionals.

regardless it doesn't really matter only really made that comment to cheer someone up.

Thanks, we might see each other as I will be doing a lot of my earth science modules in the RSM (is this where petroleum geoscience classes are held too?)

ReputationRep:
    It's all subjective. I can only speak on the Geoscience side but there's a reason why the only UK graduate geologists companies like Exxon, BP and Total hired this year were from Imperial

ReputationRep:
    It's all subjective. I can only speak on the Geoscience side but there's a reason why the only UK graduate geologists companies like Exxon, BP and Total hired this year were from Imperial
    Yeah its subjective and as I stated earlier I would personally choose imperial, I mean its splitting hairs at this point both can be argued as "best" and Imperial is Imperial.

The reason for my original comment was to console someone who was rejected from Imperial and letting him know that there was a more than viable alternative to Imperial. (I think we can both agree that HW is leagues above Leeds, Manchester (where I did my undergrad), Aberdeen etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and given a choice between imperial and herriot-watts courses in petroleum geoscience I would choose imperial without a second thought as I personally always thought imperial was superior but have been told otherwise by industry professionals.

regardless it doesn't really matter only really made that comment to cheer someone up.

Thanks, we might see each other as I will be doing a lot of my earth science modules in the RSM (is this where petroleum geoscience classes are held too?)
    Yeah you'll be doing Wytch Farm projects with the Geoscience class. You'll see them a lot in the first term when you do Petrophysics and few other modules

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you'll be doing Wytch Farm projects with the Geoscience class. You'll see them a lot in the first term when you do Petrophysics and few other modules
    Nice to know

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.