Government Statement on the Paris Terrorist Attacks watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    True , it really frustrates me i used to think Islam is a " peaceful religion " and i am sure the majority of Muslims living in Europe are not extremists and are perfectly decent people but as soon as i think this some extreme Muslims have to prove some people right in saying Islam is not a peaceful region and therefore it needs removing of the face of the earth it may be harsh but its true
    I disagree. It's all about how you interpret something. You can interpret all religious texts in a peaceful or extreme way.

Given that approximately 0.003% of all muslims are members of ISIS, Al-Qaeda or Boko Haram, I'm willing to bet that Islam is a religion of peace with a few people interpreting it wrong to justify horrendous crimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So who's going to be the head of this next cult?
    God knows.
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    I would never compare the likes of the Jacobins, the founders of whom were very well educated and contributed to one of the world's most democratic and advanced countries in the world, to that of a group of mindless killers with no history and no understandable or sympathetical ideology/aims.
    I really wouldnt make that assertion; Jacobin France was no more democratic than the ancien regime before them; they didn't establish France as we know it. The Islamic Fundamentalists have an ideology; that's why they're Islamic Fundamentalists.
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Only under the Jacobins could you be arrested for being a "moderate" - still they had the sans culottes.

The only difference between revolution and terrorism is often history, written by the victor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I disagree. It's all about how you interpret something. You can interpret all religious texts in a peaceful or extreme way.

Given that approximately 0.003% of all muslims are members of ISIS, Al-Qaeda or Boko Haram, I'm willing to bet that Islam is a religion of peace with a few people interpreting it wrong to justify horrendous crimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im Sure that the majority of Muslims are perfectly decent people however when something like this happen it does prove some people right , Islam is not a peaceful religion its not about how you interpret is at all . do you seriously think the IS Members how commit this barbaric attack are peaceful ?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Im Sure that the majority of Muslims are perfectly decent people however when something like this happen it does prove some people right , Islam is not a peaceful religion its not about how you interpret is at all . do you seriously think the IS Members how commit this barbaric attack are peaceful ?
    No. I'm saying that they have interpreted the Koran differently to 99% of Muslims, who are peaceful. It's not even a case of all. It's a handful that are horrible vile beings, with the majority being peaceful people. There are extremists in every religion. Just look at the KKK for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Latest News
    More Gunfire and Explosions in the west of Paris
    Source?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    God knows.

I really wouldnt make that assertion; Jacobin France was no more democratic than the ancien regime before them; they didn't establish France as we know it. The Islamic Fundamentalists have an ideology; that's why they're Islamic Fundamentalists.
    I accepted that they have an ideology, just that its highly unlikely anyone can sympathise with their aims, especially non-Muslims, unlike the Jacobins or the United Irishmen before them.

I'd add to TheBeardedMan and say that the only definition between revolution and terrorism is failure...or victory: if the French Revolution had failed it would have been dismissed as terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the need to put armed police on standby read to quickly respond to any attack in Britain, this would be supported by special forces being on a slightly longer standby time, but those actions are taken secretly without big fanfare around them. The government should push NATO to invoke Article 5 as a way to justify the sending of hundreds of thousands of troops to Syria and Iraq; you cannot end terrorism through inaction, I believe Russia will support a NATO military build up in Syria.

The second point of action from the government should be extra border police to properly conduct a full security review into individual looking to enter Britain, when attackers in Paris were found to have Syrian passports, and claim they were recruited by ISIS in Syria before being sent to Europe with other members, Europe has a problem. I know the government of TSR likes to deny it but some of those migrants entering Europe are not genuine, they are looking to cause harm; it is sensible government policy to strengthen borders to control who is entering the country. The government must stop ignoring the warning issued by the security services which advice caution on adopting a liberal approach to immigration by allowing anyone in without proper checks.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are "Sunni" muslims, make up about 90% of all muslims.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think that, bearing in mind David Cameron has offered a similar response, calling the government reactionary is unfair. I didn't want to comment on it so soon, in all honesty, but given the pragmatic approach taken in this statement (David Cameron's own response is a testament to that), I will happily support it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    I'd add to TheBeardedMan and say that the only definition between revolution and terrorism is failure...or victory: if the French Revolution had failed it would have been dismissed as terrorism.
    One could argue that every French revolution had eventually failed, after all, they've had like 5 or 6.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I agree with the need to put armed police on standby read to quickly respond to any attack in Britain
    So you're saying they aren't normally?
    SCO19 are a seriously well-equipped unit: their ARVs are specially equipped and modified BMW sedans.
    The average response time of an ARV anywhere in London is 8 minutes, and they're on standby 24 hours a day.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    One could argue that every French revolution had eventually failed, after all, they've had like 5 or 6.
    Fair enough.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No. I'm saying that they have interpreted the Koran differently to 99% of Muslims, who are peaceful. It's not even a case of all. It's a handful that are horrible vile beings, with the majority being peaceful people. There are extremists in every religion. Just look at the KKK for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but what i am saying is one would be forgiven for thinking islam is not a peaceful by events like this one

Thats why i am not religious at all

(Original post by The Financier)
    Source?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-34815972 ( turns out it was firecrackers setting up a false alarm
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes but what i am saying is one would be forgiven for thinking islam is not a peaceful by events like this one

Thats why i am not religious at all
    And I'd be forgiven for thinking that all Christians are Nazis?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    And I'd be forgiven for thinking that all Christians are Nazis?
    So What does a Christian and a Nazi acutally have to do with wherever islam is a " peacefully " religion
    or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I think the best way to go about getting rid of the source is to ramp up funding and training to those fighting them, to bomb them to within an inch of their lives, and to engage as a society with those most vulnerable to radicalisation - ie, our own young Muslims - in order to try and steer them away from the clutches of Isis. That, by the way, includes those on the right making an effort not to tar all Muslims with the same 'terrorist' brush. Afghanistan proves that military action can be counter effective , and it has to be remembered that Syria and Iraq is a much more complicated situation than Afghanistan - in Syria at least you have multiple unco-ordinated groups fighting Isis and each other, and in both you have a large section of the population that is very sympathetic to Isis, because in practical terms in a lot of areas Isis has governed better than anyone else in living memory.
    The complicated situation is why funding groups would fail. Afghanistan was a success, the taliban no longer rule the country. We would be best off invading and crushing them all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised no ones bringing up how they got into the country in the first place, which we all know involves the refugees. Now innocent lives are lost at the hands of the EU elite.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So What does a Christian and a Nazi acutally have to do with wherever islam is a " peacefully " religion
    or not
    You have said that due to terrorism committed by a proportion of 0.003% of muslims, that one could be forgiven for thinking that it was not a peaceful religion. I am wondering if by that logic, I would be forgiven for thinking that Christianity is a genocidal religion that in the past century has claimed many more lives than islam.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    I'm surprised no ones bringing up how they got into the country in the first place, which we all know involves the refugees. Now innocent lives are lost at the hands of the EU elite.
    Do you have proof of this or is it just UKIP scaremongering as per usual?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The problem isn't so much how many members will actually die for their cause but rather how many would passively allow it or have some sympathy.

To use an analogy, only 250,000 cared enough to fight for Corbyn to become leader however 9 million will still vote for him.

I don't think that Muslims are awful people who are going to kill me but I do think there's a hell of a lot of apologists who make excuses or have sympathies or simply are not bothered about who's in charge.

I'm not advocating we deport then or anything but I imagine that most people parroting the religion of peace crap have probably noticed that most people have less time for it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.