The Manchester United Thread XIX Watch

This discussion is closed.
StrangerthanEleven
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dirtybit)
It's going to be funny to see people's reactions when LVG scrapes top 4 and doesn't get sacked but gets a contract extension for another 2 years.
I'll change my name on here for all eternity to Lucio_is_God if that happens.

He will never get an extension.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by hayles101)
I'll change my name on here for all eternity to Lucio_is_God if that happens.

He will never get an extension.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pato is begging for a move to the PL, worth a shot considering we need a striker? I know that people will say no after the Falcao season though
StrangerthanEleven
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
Not necessarily as he's clearly building a team. Despite the team being atrocious I don't think his minimal aim is to win the title.

Being knocked out of CL does affect his future though.
No winning the title is not the minimum. Serious signs of progress are. Competing for the title at least.

The club budgeted for reaching the QF of the CL. Hardly a ridculous bar to set. He couldn't even get out of an easy group. He went out early in the COC yet again to lower league opposition. And is again going to end up scrapping for 4th place instead of challenging for the title come April/May.

There is absolutely no progress from where I'm sitting. Except that everyone around us is worse so the league position is more flattering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Blue Axolotl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's going to be funny to see people's reactions when LVG scrapes top 4 and doesn't get sacked but gets a contract extension for another 2 years.
It'll be hilarious if he doesn't
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pato is begging for a move to the PL, worth a shot considering we need a striker? I know that people will say no after the Falcao season though
No. I mean I know you're desperate but that's really scraping the barrel.

Put it this way - if Arsenal signed him, I would be massively disappointed.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hahahaha **** *******s
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh my god if we signed Adama Traore from Aston Villa i would be happy.....this boy has serious potential! Trained for years at Barca watched him in the Arsenal game towards the end he was quality! Blistering pace....he would offer 10000x more than Lingard.

Traore

Lukaku

Stones

Deulofeu

Would be great signings and decent additions to our team! That front line of Martial, Lukaku, Depay and Traore with Deulofeu behind next to Mata/ Herrera! Deadly and full of skill and attacking flare!
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by trapking)
Oh my god if we signed Adama Traore from Aston Villa i would be happy.....this boy has serious potential! Trained for years at Barca watched him in the Arsenal game towards the end he was quality! Blistering pace....he would offer 10000x more than Lingard.

Traore

Lukaku

Stones

Deulofeu

Would be great signings and decent additions to our team! That front line of Martial, Lukaku, Depay and Traore with Deulofeu next to Mata/ Herrera! Deadly and full of skill and attacking flare!
Nwakaeme would be proud
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Want Newcastle to win because its v Tottenham init. But the banter of you lots going 5th when Spurs win will just be great. It also puts some distance between us, ohh the troubles.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Nwakaeme would be proud
who da*** is Nwakaeme :lol:
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
who da*** is Nwakaeme :lol:
Former TSR poster who loved black players lel
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Former TSR poster who loved black players lel
hahahahaha :lol:
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
Want Newcastle to win because its v Tottenham init. But the banter of you lots going 5th when Spurs win will just be great. It also puts some distance between us, ohh the troubles.
"we will win the premier league this year"

said arsenal fans every year
swirly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
for what its worth, I consider Manchester United to be on a level above all other English teams (and this will just be a blip in the club's long history of English domination).

Manchester United is on the same breadth of club as Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Now this is where my questions are. Have these clubs ever been through a fairly long bad patch like United are currently going through? Moyes came 7th, then an unremarkable season, this season embarrassingly knocked out of Europe's elite, (and assume you finish out of top 4 this season, so next season in Europa). That would be 4 terrible consecutive seasons, by this club's standards. Have Barca, Real, and Bayern ever been that bad for so long?

Which leads in to my next question. Do you think that despite all Manchester United's past success, they could fade out and become irrelevant like Liverpool?
Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:teeth:

Cases for retaining LVG

-We are still within touching distance of the top. Okay, it's because no one seems to really want the title but it could be a lot worse.
-Enormous injury list (self-inflicted and LVG should have prepared with a bigger squad) but it's definitely made our recent performances appear even worse. Trying to win games with the sort of backline we played with yesterday and against Wolfsburg becomes more a matter of accepting you will concede and just having to score 2 or 3 goals each time to be able to win. That is not sustainable. And it is not doable in attack, which brings me onto my next point...

Cases against retaining LVG

-The attack is out of sync. We rarely look coherent despite not fielding what is, on paper, a pretty decent attack. Even the return of Rooney doesn't look like solving this issue any time soon.
-No plan B. Our plan B is to launch it into Fellaini. It's dull, predictable and rarely works. And I don't think the players are very comfortable with it.
-Stubbornness. It doesn't seem like he is learning from previous mistakes, especially on a tactical and man-management level. That is not a sign of a great manager which explains why he has had many highs in his career but also many lows.
-Awful PR skills. English isn't his first language and his English is quite poor at times for someone's second language. The biggest way to turn the press/team/fans against you is to say odd things. Moyes was just an awful public speaker, LVG has an ego about him which means he demoralises players in public (a big NO) and his poor English/poor turn of phrase means the media pick up soundbites which they can spin how they want to, rightly or wrongly. The advisable thing for him to do is do dull interviews - like Pellegrini.
-Odd team selection/substitutions. Even when the starting XI isn't right he never really sorts it out as the game unfolds - most decent managers do. Hell, when it is the correct starting XI and all is going well, it is also difficult for him not to **** it up by making odd substitutions. This has been a problem even when we've been on good runs.
-Failing to have the necessary squad depth. No decent cover for centre back, no proven striker (or any out-and-out striker) in the squad.
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"we will win the premier league this year"

said arsenal fans every year
No we don't
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swirly)
for what its worth, I consider Manchester United to be on a level above all other English teams (and this will just be a blip in the club's long history of English domination).

Manchester United is on the same breadth of club as Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Now this is where my questions are. Have these clubs ever been through a fairly long bad patch like United are currently going through? Moyes came 7th, then an unremarkable season, this season embarrassingly knocked out of Europe's elite, (and assume you finish out of top 4 this season, so next season in Europa). That would be 4 terrible consecutive seasons, by this club's standards. Have Barca, Real, and Bayern ever been that bad for so long?

Which leads in to my next question. Do you think that despite all Manchester United's past success, they could fade out and become irrelevant like Liverpool?
4 terrible seasons is a bit of a stretch at this stage. That's assuming we finish outside the top 4 which is 50/50 right now, and it's automatically writing off next season as terrible when we could still do well in the league despite not being in the CL.

The closest in recent years is Barca coming 4th, 4th, 6th from 2001-2003 and not winning anything. Out in the groups, semis and quarters in the CL, semi, round of 64 x2 in the Copa.
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
van Gaal has to go, the table is a misrepresentation of our form and football. We're currently out of top 4 with Spurs winning atm. If we fail to win against Norwich next week then i hope we sack him. If we dont, then as usual we'll react late and then sack him when our season is over in February.

Posted from TSR Mobile
swirly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
4 terrible seasons is a bit of a stretch at this stage. That's assuming we finish outside the top 4 which is 50/50 right now, and it's automatically writing off next season as terrible when we could still do well in the league despite not being in the CL.

The closest in recent years is Barca coming 4th, 4th, 6th from 2001-2003 and not winning anything. Out in the groups, semis and quarters in the CL, semi, round of 64 x2 in the Copa.
ah ok. so not completely unprecedented for a big club.

do you have any concerns of 'doing a Liverpool?'
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it's his questionable personnel decisions which make LVG's tenure seem so disappointing. Getting rid of RVP, Hernandez, Wilson, Welbeck without signing an out-and-out striker - as many have suggested - was really ill-judged.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (16)
16.67%
Labour (40)
41.67%
Liberal Democrats (16)
16.67%
Green Party (5)
5.21%
Brexit Party (3)
3.13%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (2)
2.08%
Plaid Cymru (2)
2.08%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)