Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Homeless people's begging stories watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    There are these tissue beggars who essentially live on the northern line (a line I travel on everyday), claiming that they are homeless and have 1 child, but they can still afford a ticket or oyster card payment, all of the tissues and to print off all of the notes, which I find strange.
    They probably have some means of getting money and have shelter, but that tissue business might be a way to get extra cash? Idk

When I went to Athens, an old lady was selling a tissue packet, my dad gave her something like 1€, then she was like no "Deka, Deka" and was showing ten fingers. My dad laughed that she was selling a small tissue packet for 10€. I wonder why she might have needed 10€ exactly.

ReputationRep:
    When I was sleeping rough in Rome and totally without money for a week, (and, more seriously, without tobacco), I developed an ingenious method of taxing a puff from a passer by. Realising that simply asking 'scusa signor, posse avere una cigaretta' (as determined by the ever-loyal Google Translate) just did not cut the ice with enough Italians to warrant the humiliation it evoked, I tested a new system of posing as a plausible lost traveller to those cigarette-hogging loiterers who hide away in doorways with only their noses braving the outside world, or attempt the diversionary tactic of pacing back and forth on an impotent passage of steel grill. Still basically fabrically intact and olfactorily palatable as I was, I would, travelling bag in hand, intrude on their defences with a childishly innocent confidence that could only have been organically produced by a training clergyman or junior aid worker, asking for directions to some nearby place whose location I knew with almost geosatellite awareness. Having gained the briefest of acquaintances, these almost always decent people were obliged to recognise me as a fully signed up member of the human race. After expressing my gratitude and fabricating a swift progress onwards, a sudden and unexpected notice of the glowing stick in their hand would possess me (accompanied by an Oscar-winning lifting of the eyebrows and parting of the lips), and I would reverse coily and wonder with feigned inexactitude 'mi scusa signore, per favore una sigaretta posse avere?'

Editor's note: Mr a noble chance has subsequently made a personal commitment to always obliging when asked for a cigarette in public, and simultaneously recognises that the act of doing so is a disgrace worthy of the utmost shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    When I was sleeping rough in Rome and totally without money for a week, (and, more seriously, without tobacco), I developed an ingenious method of taxing a puff from a passer by. Realising that simply asking 'scusa signor, posse avere una cigaretta' (as determined by the ever-loyal Google Translate) just did not cut the ice with enough Italians to warrant the humiliation it evoked, I tested a new system of posing as a plausible lost traveller to those cigarette-hogging loiterers who hide away in doorways with only their noses braving the outside world, or attempt the diversionary tactic of pacing back and forth on an impotent passage of steel grill. Still basically fabrically intact and olfactorily palatable as I was, I would, travelling bag in hand, intrude on their defences with a childishly innocent confidence that could only have been organically produced by a training clergyman or junior aid worker, asking for directions to some nearby place whose location I knew with almost geosatellite awareness. Having gained the briefest of acquaintances, these almost always decent people were obliged to recognise me as a fully signed up member of the human race. After expressing my gratitude and fabricating a swift progress onwards before sudden and unexpected notice of the glowing stick in their hand (accompanied by an Oscar-winning lifting of the eyebrows and parting of the lips), would redoubt coily and wonder with feigned inexactitude 'mi scusa signore, per favore una sigaretta posse avere una sigaretta?'

Editor's note: Mr a noble chance has subsequently made a personal commitment to always obliging when asked for a cigarette in public, and simultaneously recognises that the act of doing so is a disgrace worthy of the utmost shame.
    Very interesting story.

For how long were you sleeping rough in Rome?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Very interesting story.

For how long were you sleeping rough in Rome?
    My fault for writing it badly. One week. Rougher than it might sound, especially at Christmas, but I think everyone should spend some time sleeping rough in a far-flung country in their youth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    They're professional beggars that prey on people, despite having food and a bed to sleep in, they beg.
    If they're always in the same spot, you should know the they're pan handlers that use the same gimmick.
    You should never feel the need to give your money to these people, as it is wrong.
    Grow a heart mate

ReputationRep:
    My fault for writing it badly. One week. Rougher than it might sound, especially at Christmas, but I think everyone should spend some time sleeping rough in a far-flung country in their youth.
    What are some valuable experiences you gained from your week sleeping rough in Roma?

ReputationRep:
    What are some valuable experiences you gained from your week sleeping rough in Roma?
    For one, I gained a brief introduction as to what it is like for those poor mentally and physically crippled *******s who spend the entire year clinging to the pillars of the Termini train station. This cannot be learnt from any number of New Statesman seminars or Cambridge Union debates.

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I had just come off the bus after a shopping trip when (who I assumed to be) a homeless guy asked if we had a few quid because he needed to go to the local hospital urgently. We both said that we didn't have any change on us, which was true. My friend offered him her day pass as she no longer needed it; he gave her a dirty look, told her to forget it and then asked a nearby couple the same question. He wasn't homeless but there was a guy in my hometown who was infamous for hanging around local train stations and shopping centre saying that he needed money towards fare back to Leeds as he missed his train. I heard he would act aggressively towards lone women/those with small children, the elderly and disabled people if they refused him money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For one, I gained a brief introduction as to what it is like for those poor mentally and physically crippled *******s who spend the entire year clinging to the pillars of the Termini train station. This cannot be learnt from any number of New Statesman seminars or Cambridge Union debates.
    That is sad :sad:
    A lot of those who end up on the streets are mentally unwell and their family/carers have just left them.

ReputationRep:
    What do you get from insulting me?
    Personal satisfaction. Nothing beats it.

ReputationRep:
    That is sad :sad:
    A lot of those who end up on the streets are mentally unwell and their family/carers have just left them.
    We certainly have it much better here than on the continent, even today. That is part of the reason migrants are flooding Calais to try to get here, which otherwise seems like such a needless and escapable trial.

ReputationRep:
    We certainly have it much better here than on the continent, even today. That is part of the reason migrants are flooding Calais to try to get here, which otherwise seems like such a needless and escapable trial.
    Definitely much better, they camp out there weeks, months even years on end trying to jump into the back of lorries.

ReputationRep:
    Theres no need for people to beg we have a benefits system.. I feel no sympathy for them they have opportunities to better their lives which others in the third world would kill for. They could easily get jobs like security/retail get free education etc but nope to much effort for these scumbags.. fkem

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Personal satisfaction. Nothing beats it.

Well you and the other tsr bullies do need to stop picking on me, or I shall get a mod to deal with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plasmaman)
    Grow a heart mate

I do have a heart

ReputationRep:
    there was some guy who everyone knows in rochdale. he's called gasman as he sniffs WD40 cans from a star into his nose. he stays on the asain district (where all the takeaways are) bc loads of people walk there and he begs all the time. i dont give him money as that would go to his gas cans but if i can i give him food. i feel sorry for him he always smells of wee.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My Mum always tells me a story of a time that she was out with my Dad, they saw a homeless person and my Dad gave him 50p. The homeless person starts shouting at him saying ''50p? What can I do with that? **** off''

Keep in mind this would have been the 1980s...

A few coins are okay but not all homeless people are dangerous. About two weeks ago, a homeless guy walked into McDonalds and asked me to buy him a cheeseburger, he ordered it and I paid. He just wanted food
    Remember sitting in KFC once and I saw this really scruffy/dirty looking man (obviously homeless) going around the tables scavenging for food. Among other things, he'd pick up bits of half eaten chicken still on the bone that people had left on the table. Really made me sad and if he'd came over to me i'd have happily given up my meal.

There is a HUGE homelessness problem where I live. I see the same faces in the city centre repeatedly over a lengthy period of time. On my daily walk through the city centre to get to work i'll always see at least 3 homeless people. It's quite worrying.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    A few days ago I was on the Northern Line and I saw these three people come on, two looked quite old and one looked young with eastern-european accents. As soon as they came on with the cup and instruments I knew they were going to start playing and begging. They said "ladies and gentlemen (couldn't understand what they said)" then there was a loud noise of banging and some sort of music, I never experience this sort of begging so I was intrigued, but they looked clean so I didn't want to give money. But I didn't like how they pushed the cup in your face when your in a seat, you don't get money like that. It would have been nice if we were alerted about the beggers getting on the train so we can be vigilant.

This was me going to London, I don't live in London but these sort of things never happen in Birmingham. I've never had people come on public transport blaring noise from instruments shoving cups in your face for money.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    A few days ago I was on the Northern Line and I saw these three people come on, two looked quite old and one looked young with eastern-european accents. As soon as they came on with the cup and instruments I knew they were going to start playing and begging. They said "ladies and gentlemen (couldn't understand what they said)" then there was a loud noise of banging and some sort of music, I never experience this sort of begging so I was intrigued, but they looked clean so I didn't want to give money. But I didn't like how they pushed the cup in your face when your in a seat, you don't get money like that. It would have been nice if we were alerted about the beggers getting on the train so we can be vigilant.

This was me going to London, I don't live in London but these sort of things never happen in Birmingham. I've never had people come on public transport blaring noise from instruments shoving cups in your face for money.
    I have been on the Northern Line before and haven't experience people begging like that. All I get is just genuine people begging on London's streets who are desperate but doesn't intimidate you to give money.

ReputationRep:
    Well you and the other tsr bullies do need to stop picking on me, or I shall get a mod to deal with you
    Well perhaps you shouldn't go telling people what to do when you have no idea what you're talking about? Very easy to disregard people less fortunate than yourself from high your high chair. Would love to see you homeless one day and I'll walk up to you and tell you to get off your arse and get JSA. See how you feel.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.