The Student Room Group

I went to the Calais refugee camp today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CCC75
No, you didn't get rude about someone else's incorrect use of a word whilst simultaneously doing so yourself did you?😄 Learn the difference between your and you're and check your spelling errors as you made a few.

OP, that was a decent day of volunteering 👍

I actually did have it as that but i'm using a shitty android phone that autocorrects badly. If your willing to buy a new one, be my guest but I'm not spending 100 years trying to make it classy. I know the grammatical rules. OP doesn't know the difference between brought and bought which I would rather they learn the now than be laughed at when having a conversation with someone. Obviously you couldn't give a **** about OP in real life and would rather have them making the same mistaking rather than learning but I for one care about other people.
Original post by the bear
pwned

:five:

Such unnecessary white night posts.
Original post by mariachi
it seems that a considerable proportion of the population from those countries would like to emigrate to (Northern) Europe, because they feel it would improve considerably their living conditions and their prospects in life. And yet, if this were allowed to happen, it would be a self-defeating exercise, as employment prospects and living conditions for migrants would fatally worsen .

So, there seems to be no way out : if migrants are welcomed and treated well, this will simply encourage an even stronger flow, leading eventually to an unbearable strain on assistance to migrants : so the choice by our authorities is simply to let the situation deteriorate, so that word will get back to those countries that migrants are not welcomed, prospects are bad and the flow may gradually reduce or stop.

This is a poor alternative to a predictable, controlled migration policy, which however should be organised at EU level, instead of each country going off on its own, trying to unload the migrants on the neighboring States, as most are doing : a case for more power and competencies to the EU, not less. But this is not going to happen, in the present climate.

Do i have a solution for the problem ? no, I don't : except to continue muddling through as best as we can, just like we are doing, with some minor adjustments.

Thank you for your insight :smile:

indeed, it seems that the situation seems to heading there. However, a lot of them stressed that they missed their homelands so is that a bad thing? I don't know.

What they wanted british people to know is how they are constantly being attacked by the police/right wing groups.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I wouldn't really be comfortable with letting anyone, let alone a bunch of men who come from a backward culture stay in my home.

I disagree with you on the Calais camp thing but good answer :smile:

Lol sexist.
Original post by CCC75
No, you didn't get rude about someone else's incorrect use of a word whilst simultaneously doing so yourself did you?😄 Learn the difference between your and you're and check your spelling errors as you made a few.

OP, that was a decent day of volunteering 👍

Thank you!

Original post by dozyrosie
Why do you think I am responsible for these refugees? I am not! I argue that due to their reliance on mumbo jumbo they have fallen behind, when they move into the 21st century they may start to catch up.

By the way I know a few homeless Junkies, how about you letting them doss at your place?

What an ignorant POV. Shame on you.
Original post by iEthan
Thank you!

What an ignorant POV. Shame on you.

Explain why it is ignorant, is it because it it is not your POV?
Original post by jedanselemyia
Thank you for your insight :smile:

indeed, it seems that the situation seems to heading there. However, a lot of them stressed that they missed their homelands so is that a bad thing? I don't know.

What they wanted british people to know is how they are constantly being attacked by the police/right wing groups.
the police has to exert some control over what happens in the camp, and repress any illegal activities going on

at the same time,the police will defend them from right-wing groups (at least, I suppose so)
the police has to exert some control over what happens in the camp, and repress any illegal activities going on

at the same time,the police will defend them from right-wing groups (at least, I suppose so)

Unfortunately, that is not the case :frown:
They told us that they are scared of leaving the camp at night so they travel in groups of 15+ people, in case police or right wing groups wanting to beat some of them (which has happened before... causing broken limbs)

The police will literally leave right wing groups infiltrate the camp and see what happens
They also told us of policemen passing as refugees and starting fights/troubles in the camp

So yeah, it seems that the police does not fulfill its role at all. That's why we saw men posted every few meters around the camp, acting as guards/sentinels.
The people we talked to wanted British people to know that they are repeatedly attacked and that they wanted it to stop.
Unfortunately, that is not the case :frown:
They told us that they are scared of leaving the camp at night so they travel in groups of 15+ people, in case police or right wing groups wanting to beat some of them (which has happened before... causing broken limbs)

The police will literally leave right wing groups infiltrate the camp and see what happens
They also told us of policemen passing as refugees and starting fights/troubles in the camp

So yeah, it seems that the police does not fulfill its role at all. That's why we saw men posted every few meters around the camp, acting as guards/sentinels.
The people we talked to wanted British people to know that they are repeatedly attacked and that they wanted it to stop.
any independent reports by the press about that ?
any independent reports by the press about that ?

Not that I know of. I haven't researched it, but I personally have no reason to question their experiences.

Attacks by right wing extremists have been reported by the press yes, but the police I don't know.
Sis! You went and didn't tell me! Wallah we will go together next time inshallah
Sorry, my bad x

How was he being sarcastic lol???
I swear these people were offered a £20 million safe institution, but refused because they claimed it was a prison. The real reason they refused is because most of them are illegals and refuse to get their ID checked or finger prints taken.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I wouldn't really be comfortable with letting anyone, let alone a bunch of men who come from a backward culture stay in my home.

I disagree with you on the Calais camp thing but good answer :smile:

What do you mean by backward culture? So now you're insulting Arabs?!
I have no objection to legitimate asylum seekers coming to UK. We must tighten the controls though. The inhabitants in Calais know they do not have a legitimate right to enter Britain. To deter illegals we must implement tighter controls. If they are so in fear they must claim asylum in the FIRST free country they arrive at. Bypassing all of those they arrive in Britain. Then they must be housed in a detention centre until they are confirmed to enter. Why would you object to free shelter and food if you are for real? Illegals must be locked up and deported ASAP none of this turning up to a police station in a week crap the nhs and education should not be free at the "point of sale" to illegibles. No treat first and pay up later. Money first treatment after. Benefits should not be available for family who are not in the UK Etc. we must enforce the laws we already have in place. Then and only then will I be happy to take the refugees who deserve our help
I feel for the misery of the Calais camp mates BUT they are there of their own choosing the UK is not the promised land we must stop being a soft touch
As a side story, we have a friend who is a senior customs officer at Dover. Recently he questioned an Eritrean who wished to claim asylum having arrived in a lorry. He had issues with the claim and the man was turned away Computer duly updated. Man travelled to Belgium to sneak in there. Further checks. Man In genuine fear of his life etc. yes he was. His whole town wanted to lynch him ... For raping his neighbours three year old daughter.
Turned away.
To have my support you must bring your papers, claim asylum in the first free country and I'll be happy to help. Do it illegally and I couldn't care less sorry
Bleeding hearts start now!
Yeah so ask away

I have no patience for racist/islamophobic/xenophobic comments so I won't bother with those at all

My battery is dead and I'm tired so I'll answer later :smile:

Do you believe in the rule of law?
Says you from your comfortable home in a conflict free country. Being so condescending and "know it all" won't get you anywhere.

There will be conflict in Europe if this invasion is allowed to continue.
Reply 77
Original post by intelligent con
Do you agree that its time for Cameron to let these heroic people into the uk?

Lmao. 10/10 for the clickbait.
And you didn't get attacked or assaulted? Not even groped?
Reply 79
Original post by thunder_chunky
And you didn't get attacked or assaulted? Not even groped?

Who would've thunk it? Refugee men are civilised like any other man here?

Dude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending