Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Surgery that could allow trans women to have children of their own... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    I do not see in why a trans woman should be given the right to conceive, as it goes against nature
    Ask nature her opinion
    Spoiler:
    Show
    SPOILER: She doesn't give a sh*t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me thinks it's great that these women are given the opportunity to carry a child if they want to, but another part of me feels like they're getting to cut corners. They don't have to live with periods & regular aches and pains for 35+ years of their life. They get the reward without going through any of the pain.
    (Original post by bassbabe)
    So does this also mean that women who aren't able to have kids can have the surgery? If not then it shouldn't be available to anyone.
    wtf this is so petty, someone shouldn't be able to have kids because someone in a totally unrelated situation can't either or has to go through more to be able to? That is seriously pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    The ignorance is strong in you.

I suppose you never bother to read past one single source and take everything you read as gospel then?

Honestly...some people.
    Reading past one source suggests that successful pregnancies from uterine transplants between cis-women are only very recent, and that the applicability to transgender women is mainly speculation from the press rather than medical professionals. And get this; one of the first attempts at this procedure was on Lili Elbe.

ReputationRep:
    Would be great, if it works that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Reading past one source suggests that successful pregnancies from uterine transplants between cis-women are only very recent, and that the applicability to transgender women is mainly speculation from the press rather than medical professionals. And get this; one of the first attempts at this procedure was on Lili Elbe.

Successful (as in not rejected) uterus transplants span back past 10 years ago, though only recently have stories of successful pregnancies come through. Yes.

Yeah...she also died due to it.

ReputationRep:
    There are other ways to have kids other than to have a uterus transplant..and I didn't say they shouldn't be able to have kids.
    The whole idea of a uterus transplant should be an option for every woman with fertility issues, not just trans women and those without a uterus. It's about equality.
    How can it be that a trans woman can be pregnant with a child and a biological woman can't? I don't agree with that at all.
    Well you'll be glad to know that isn't the case. It seems to be something you've just speculated for yourself for some strange reason.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Incredible news. Science is truly a wonderful thing.

ReputationRep:
    The ignorance is strong in you.

I suppose you never bother to read past one single source and take everything you read as gospel then?

Honestly...some people.
    Please enlighten me to how I'm being ignorant. My issue is people resorting to using it for men and the fact that people are dismissing it's use on females. I'm not saying the actual treatment is at fault, I'm saying that people's main thought is using it on men. Not the surgeons.
    Look at this thread title, it's mentioning using it on men, and not women so the fact that people are showin importance in the use on men rather than promoting its use on women is what gets me.

The use on men is ridiculous in the first place. Only a matter of time until there are people going to want to become carrots.

People are taking it too far

(Original post by ♡ ♡ ♡)
    The use on men is ridiculous in the first place. Only a matter of time until there are people going to want to become carrots.
    How does it affect you if a total stranger decides they want to become a carrot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    How does it affect you if a total stranger decides they want to become a carrot?
    Cap this.

ReputationRep:
    According to the article, the uterus transplant is offered to trans women and those without a uterus or who have uterine damage. A biological women can have fertility issues that doesn't involve any of that, therefore, they wouldn't be eligible..
    Because their uterus is not the problem, a uterus transplant wouldn't be a great help to a lot of people with infertility issues.

ReputationRep:
    According to the article, the uterus transplant is offered to trans women and those without a uterus or who have uterine damage. A biological women can have fertility issues that doesn't involve any of that, therefore, they wouldn't be eligible..
    If the fertility issues preventing her from carrying a child have nothing to do with their uterus then obviously they don't need a uterine transplant they need different treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♡ ♡ ♡)
    Please enlighten me to how I'm being ignorant. My issue is people resorting to using it for men and the fact that people are dismissing it's use on females. I'm not saying the actual treatment is at fault, I'm saying that people's main thought is using it on men. Not the surgeons.
    Look at this thread title, it's mentioning using it on men, and not women so the fact that people are showin importance in the use on men rather than promoting its use on women is what gets me.

People are taking it too far
    This treatment has been around for over a decade and no one is saying it's more important to give it to trans women or placing more importance on it's use on trans women. It's very clearly just an article pointing out the possibility of it being used for trans women.

You seem to just be looking for something to get angry at because you can't stand the thought of transgenders god forbid being able to have children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Gender dysphoria doesn't exist in my opinion. I know it's a recognised disorder and all but it is not recognised by everyone as a disorder.
    God doesn't exist.
    If the religious books are meant to be proof that he exists then Spiderman exists.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with people tricking others and being dishonest, but I don't think this a purely trans issue. People trick people they're in a relationship in a lot of ways. This is just one more possibility.
    You're quite right, it's definitely not a trans specific issue. But many seem to think that them being a certain sex isn't an issue to bring up, except when discussing kids. Now this is an excuse to just further hide the truth in their case.

If they are honest about their past, like everyone should be, then while it still makes me uncomfortable, this point can't be raised. But I doubt that will be the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    Because their uterus is not the problem, a uterus transplant wouldn't be a great help to a lot of people with infertility issues.
    I stand corrected

ReputationRep:
    If the fertility issues preventing her from carrying a child have nothing to do with their uterus then obviously they don't need a uterine transplant they need different treatment.
    You're right, I retract that statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    wtf this is so petty, someone shouldn't be able to have kids because someone in a totally unrelated situation can't either or has to go through more to be able to? That is seriously pathetic.
    I didn't say they shouldn't be able to have kids.

Its my opinion that it's unfair that they aren't experiencing any of the pre pregnancy/ post labour aspects relating to the uterus, they are only given the prize at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me thinks it's great that these women are given the opportunity to carry a child if they want to, but another part of me feels like they're getting to cut corners. They don't have to live with periods & regular aches and pains for 35+ years of their life. They get the reward without going through any of the pain.
    Transwomen may not have periods and cramps and so on, but they go through a hell of a lot of pain ciswomen don't go through, and never will go through, so why don't we stop trying to compare who has it worse and simply respect and help each other as much as possible, surely that is the best way to go about creating a better, more equal and fair society?

(Original post by ♡ ♡ ♡)
    I understand that u stuck up spud. The title of the thread was showing focusing on the treatment being used on women. The title of the report was also saying that.
    Fixed that for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Transwomen may not have periods and cramps and so on, but they go through a hell of a lot of pain ciswomen don't go through, and never will go through, so why don't we stop trying to compare who has it worse and simply respect and help each other as much as possible, surely that is the best way to go about creating a better, more equal and fair society?

Fixed that for you

I didn't choose to be female, I didn't choose to have a period. I'm one for doing whatever makes you happy, but a lot of the things that make us happy come with sacrifices and pain.
    Transwomen chose to make the transition, their 'pain' is voluntary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.