Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

would you be upset with this valentines gift? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer4life)
    Why don't you just tell him that you like cards, instead of expecting him to know that
    Girls can't understand that guys can't read minds. That's why they're always angry for some reason or another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    If I wasn't an amazing, thoughtful guy I wouldn't have posted a link to that video.

You would be lucky to get a guy like me.
    Yes yes yes I'm just busting your chops ( kind of). I think you're the one who sent me links to smoothie articles so you are thoughtful ok i take everything back.

ReputationRep:
    Lol

Not sure what i'd have got my ex, I don't think she was the romance type :lol: Nothing generic like flowers (though I know her favourite and its not hard to acquire so I might have got some) or chocolate, no wine, hell the whole dinner thing is a bit cheesy (especially with cheese). Haven't put much thought into it but immediately what comes to mind is something personal and about them. Maybe a card with an extract from a book they really like?? Is that lazy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    Yes yes yes I'm just busting your chops ( kind of). I think you're the one who sent me links to smoothie articles so you are thoughtful ok i take everything back.

All forgiven.

Let's get married and have babies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Lol

Not sure what i'd have got my ex, I don't think she was the romance type :lol: Nothing generic like flowers (though I know her favourite and its not hard to acquire so I might have got some) or chocolate, no wine, hell the whole dinner thing is a bit cheesy (especially with cheese). Haven't put much thought into it but immediately what comes to mind is something personal and about them. Maybe a card with an extract from a book they really like?? Is that lazy?
    That's not lazy, quite thoughtful actually.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter how the rest of us would handle it? You clearly are upset and feel like your upset is warranted, and need to communicate this with him. We don't know if you did make it clear how important this is to you, we don't know what he is like outside of not giving you a card, whether he says lovely things and treats you with kindness. My advice would be to think about how you can't force someone act how you want them to, and then ask yourself if he is the romantic fit for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    Ive been with my boyfriend a year and this is our first valentines, I got my boyfriend a moonpig card and a book that i personalised all about him from https://thebookofeveryone.com/uk and i got him some lindt chocolates

he got me a little notebook set: http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/mi.../9781849942911 which i do appeciate as i study something art based and i love the colouring books by the same brand.

however i didnt get a card and i didnt get anything valentines related. I know you dont give to receive but i cant help but feel a little sad that he only grabbed me a last minute gift for the sake of having something to give to me.

am i being selfish? how would you feel if you was in my position?
    now youre grateful those tsr lads were after yeh

enjoy

ReputationRep:
    you know, tight slaps are free. just sayin.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't have to get you anything and he did, don't complain

ReputationRep:
    So basically you're upset that he put thought into a present and bought something related to your interests, instead of getting generic Valentine's Day stuff like a card and chocolates? Seriously, think twice about what you're saying. You may have payed more, but that doesn't make your presents better. The book can be personalised, same with the card, but honestly he'll probably never look at them again. Holiday specific presents are bad because of that. He clearly put more thought into the gift by NOT getting a card and chocolates.

ReputationRep:
    Oh the patriarchy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not really because he still shows that he cares by buying you a present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    All forgiven.

Let's get married and have babies.
    Ok...

Hope you can afford em.
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (13.2 KB)

ReputationRep:
    No, because I think it's the thought that counts. I would have been more fussed about not getting a card

ReputationRep:
    if you really like receiving cards that much i would tell him if i were you because i personally hate giving cards to people especially christmas cards as i feel most people just throw them away and it's a waste. I don't even buy my parents cards! but that's because they've let me know that they don't care about cards and your boyfriend may also be the kind of person that doesn't really see the point in cards so i'd tell him that they actually mean a lot to you!

ReputationRep:
    All I would want for my man to give me is his loyalty and honesty to me as a gift.

I don't really care for physical gifts tbf.

ReputationRep:
    oi.

i find this whole concept of 'valentines' to be a very annoying thing tbh. it's useless for singles as they've got no one to celebrate it with; and even worse for couples as they SHOULD ALREADY BE CELEBRATING THEIR LOVE FOR EACH OTHER EVERY DAY.

trying to force all the love into one day is pointless; as if that's done; what about all the other days of the year? what no love is meant to be shared then?

why on earth are you pissed that you got presents from your boyfriend? but didn't get the ONE ****ing card? y'all celebrated valentines. be ****ing happy. not chastising everyone else. you really do seem stuck up and high maintenance to me. and it's really pissing me off because this guy actually went out of his way to get something to please you. but no. it's not a ****ing card; so it doesn't count does it. the thought he had for you just vanishes because you didn't get what you want.

the similarities between your attitude and a spoilt, unappreciative 3 year old brat is way too much to begin to describe.

regardless if the whole 'card' thing is THAT important to you; that you'd rather he got you some cheap, unpersonalised, worthless piece of **** with generic, unimportant, useless knock-off, poor substitutes for love; real thoughtful love (he went out of his way to not only get You a present, but one that he Knew You'd like. i.e: he did his homework, remembered what You preferred then went out of his way to get it for you, just to make you happy. but no. that's irrelevant as far as you're concerned); then why not tell him so? or better yet; leave him for someone who'll appreciate him more, as you obviously don't value effort; no matter how personalised or from the heart it may be. t

these are the facts:
    0) this guy doesn't celebrate anything.
    1) you complained, he listened and decided to go out of his way make it up to you.
    2) he remembered that valentines' meant something to you; and therefore for Your sake decided to do something about it to make you happy. even though it goes against what he believes in.
    3) he got you a gift
    4) not any gift. no matter how late, he got you a gift that he remembered would bring joy to your heart.
    5) money is completely irrelevant as an indication of love.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't get you a cheap Moonpig card. Big deal.

ReputationRep:
    My bf told me he's not the "card" type of person and he prefers experience gifts or something we can both enjoy. I always wrap his presents but he never does. We make fun of that sometimes, so it's all a preference. Gifts seem to mean more to you than to him so try to meet in the middle instead of putting pressure on one another

ReputationRep:
    This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day....talk about being ungrateful! It's not the gift that counts ffs but it's the gesture of him getting you something as a little "thank you for being there for me" that matters. He doesn't have to get you anything.

I hope he gives you dust next time.....this mentality absolutely grinds my gears arghh :lol:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.