Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Top Universities Shouldn't Accept You Unless You Do 4 A2s watch

ReputationRep:
    I bet OP still needs to start their GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    I bet OP still needs to start their GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have an Oxbridge degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabster)
    I have an Oxbridge degree
    Of course you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabster)
    Basically, I don't believe top universities (Oxbridge/Imperial etc) should accept you unless you to do 4 A2s. For the reason that you are

EITHER: Talented but would rather doss around than put more work into academia.

OR: Not able to cope with 4A2s which means you most definitely would no be able to cope with the workload at a top university.

Obviously there should have exceptions for where School's don't allow people to do 4 A2s.
    Shouldn't you let the admissions teams decide that?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I imagine most top students could handle 4 A2s. The workload isn't that difficult. Though you've not convinced me that it should be necessary.

(Original post by Trapz99)
    A levels are dumbed down? They're pretty hard for most people, even most of the Cambridge offer holders in my sixth form are saying that a levels are hard. Four a levels show that you can work very hard and important if you are applying for certain subjects (for example, economics at some universities requires four a levels because the universities strongly recommend further maths and economics but also want another subject).
    He's very smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    But I don't think someone doing 4 A levels instead of 3 means they are more likely to be able to cope with the university workload, and I would guess that anyone who can get something like A*A*A*-A*AA could cope with 4 anyway, and not having done a 4th A level won't make a huge difference to their competence. I think the main issue is just that A levels in general are too easy.
    I don't think they are! I did Physics, Chem, Psych at A-level and I think they were harder than the Software Engineering course I'm currently doing at university in final year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    I don't think they are! I did Physics, Chem, Psych at A-level and I think they were harder than the Software Engineering course I'm currently doing at university in final year
    Which university...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Which university...?
    Sheffield, son

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.