Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ASOIAF, 1984 are my favourites
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The best novel which I have read so far is Stoner by John Williams. It is my favorite at the moment.

(Original post by godofwine)
    The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
    Yeah, that was a pretty good novel, despite the lots of curses in it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a list of three: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides, Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I usually just say my favourite is Housekeeping for ease though :-)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by the bear)
    Prospero's Cell by Lawrence Durrell
    Anyway, Lawrence Durell seemed to be a writier with an enormous creative power. He has really written a lot of novels, plus poems, stage plays and another kinds of books. Did you have read another books of him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Anyway, Lawrence Durell seemed to be a writier with an enormous creative power. He has really written a lot of novels, plus poems, stage plays and another kinds of books. Did you have read another books of him?
    i have read many books by Lawrence and his brother Gerald. Marvellous writers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i have read many books by Lawrence and his brother Gerald. Marvellous writers.
    My genres are the classics and social criticism. I am always looking for those novels. Are there some novels written by Lawrence which can be counted to these genres?

ReputationRep:
    My genres are the classics and social criticism. I am always looking for those novels. Are there some novels written by Lawrence which can be counted to these genres?
    The Alexandria Quartet is definitely a classic.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The Alexandria Quartet is definitely a classic.
    Thanks! I will this novel add to my list. Maybe I am reading the storyline on Wikipedia first to get a picture of it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I will this novel add to my list. Maybe I am reading the storyline on Wikipedia first to get a picture of it.
    if you only read one book by Gerald D then My Family And Other Animals is the one

ReputationRep:
    The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Wuthering heights, Bleak House or Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.

My favourite series is probably The Kingkiller Chronicles whose main character is the inspiration for my username.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Wuthering heights, Bleak House or Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.

My favourite series is probably The Kingkiller Chronicles whose main character is the inspiration for my username.
    Wuthering Heights is pretty good. I read it in the summer before starting secondary school and for a while, had you asked, would have called it my favourite book. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is also good. I think I read it in year 1, possibly year 2, and as such probably didn't understand the subject matter as well as would be preferable. Have you read any of the other books by Taylor? I recall reading at least one of the others but I am not certain.

Never read Bleak House. One of the ones that fell through the net. I am quite sure I own a copy somewhere though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    I'm sure this already exists somewhere, but hey ho!

My favourite has to be Brideshead Revisited. I adore that book!

So what is your favourite novel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gone with the Wind
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I didn't start the classics till secondary school except for easier reads like Moby ****. My Primary School reading was pretty much Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys (and some random stuff like Goosebumps and things like Harry Potter) as well as some adult books my sister left around.I also read encyclopaedias as I was weird . I have a J Austen book in my shelf. Do you like her? She's meant to be good but I haven't made any progress through the novel because the extravagant language is offputting.

I've not. I hadn't realised the books about the Logan family are a series till you mentioned she has other books! Some summer reading . I will probably start Norwegian Wood next week. I own no Dickens atm but they're all free on the Kindle Store :awesome:.
    I started reading some fairly early, but honestly would have enjoyed them more a few years later. I don't recall reading any earlier than year 3/4 which is when I read The Way of All Flesh which is a classic of sorts. I remember it was one of a number of leather-bound books my dad gave me. Among them was a muti-volume encyclopaedia which I used to read and take notes from all the time. I would write reports about Ohm and physics and all sorts of other things I did not at all understand :lol: Luckily being excluded and/or expelled all the time gave me ample time to educate myself as I saw fit

I am not sure which Dickens novels I own currently. I think many of them would have been given away in my last round of donations. I would be surprised not to have kept Great Expectations though as it is probably my favourite. Vernacular fiction can be challenging, but no Dickens novel is Trainspotting!

ReputationRep:
    Not really a novel in the modern sense because it was written so early in the evolution of the form, but my favourite piece of writing by a novelist is "Pickwick Papers."

If you know anything about it you will know it launched Dickens to fame and fortune as a runaway worldwide best seller. But you have to read it to realise why. THEN you understand!

It is a work of total, complete, unadulterated genius. There is basically no plot which allows a free flowing narrative to wend its way whichever direction it ended up. (And plots were never Dickens' strong suit anyway)! The characterisation, as you would expect is fantastic, it is full of humour and warm heartedness. He wrote much more mature novels, obviously, and there are even greater characters in other books, (particularly Curiosity Shop which has so many brilliant characters it is absurd). But he never recaptured the youthful joie de vivre of Pickwick.

Reading it is to step back into the nineteenth century. In fact, I reckon if you think of the nineteenth century, particularly of London you are thinking of Dickens. Even if you have never read him. Such is the power of his imagination on our, indeed worldwide, culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    Not really a novel in the modern sense because it was written so early in the evolution of the form, but my favourite piece of writing by a novelist is "Pickwick Papers."
    Interesting that you wouldn't class dickens as writing novels! I'd personally think that the novel was well grounded as a literary form by the 1840's or so, if not the time of some of the greatest novelists and novels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Interesting that you wouldn't class dickens as writing novels! I'd personally think that the novel was well grounded as a literary form by the 1840's or so, if not the time of some of the greatest novelists and novels.
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I certainly class Dickens as writing novels AFTER Pickwick. I just don't think Pickwick is much of a novel because it has no plot to speak of.

It is picaresque, episodic, harking back to Smollett and Fielding more than anything. (I think Smollett was a great favourite of Dickens?)

It shares similarities with Don Quixote too. Candide even? Although I don't know if he read either of those two books.

When I think of Dickens the Novelist I think of Great Expectations or Dombey and Son, say. Which could almost have been written by someone else.

Almost but not quite!

Also with Dickens you get terrible passages every so often. Barely readable. I absolutely love the man and have read all his novels, but even I admit to that.
    You get a bit of that in Pickwick, when he tries something that doesn't come off, but far less of it. Above all there isn't the cloying sentimentality.

And it is funny because he wrote the beginning of Oliver Twist when he hadn't finished Pickwick and that has some awfully sentimental stuff. But it doesn't ever permeate the latter...

Amazing that he could write two books at the same time like that, too. One instalment of Pickwick to one deadline, another of Oliver. An incredible fecundity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Raskolnikov)
    For my English Literature A-level coursework we were free to choose our books. It was absolute joy writing about Crime and Punishment and Feminism. Still waiting for the mark, but thanks to Dostoevsky I may have bagged an A/A*. Do you know what The Idiot is like? Planning on reading it
    I haven't read The Idiot. I am surprised Dostoevsky's a set text though as he can be quite depressing and it's not an easy 'first text' to study. Good luck for your coursework too :-) My latest coursework is on feminism and authorship using Coetzee's Foe as the set text, you should check it out it might be up your street :-)

I have to add Bukowski's Post Office and Plath's The Bell Jar to my original lists. I read them last week, each in nearly one sitting and wow all I can say is I want to read them straight again and I've never felt like that before! I hope to read another by Bukowski... Factotum

ReputationRep:
    'Legend' by David Gemmell or 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption'. But I guess that's a Novella.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richci)
    'Legend' by David Gemmell or 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption'. But I guess that's a Novella.
    that is my favourite film of All time!! i mean it is a simple film, yet it has an everlasting message.

Frank Darabont didn't need to put any kind of outland-ish special effects to get us to love the film, the narration and the acting does that for him. Why didn't this movie win all seven Oscars?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also I love Morgan Freeman, so yeah.. you know hahaha

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.