Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's not a life-changing amount of money.

ReputationRep:
    It is and it isn't, if 10k dropped through my letter box than **** me that's a lot, but in the long term it isn't.

Wouldn't say no, could go towards that house deposit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreamyChocolate)
    £10,000 is a lot of money to some people, but to others it is merely the price of a meal at an expensive restaurant.

How would £10,000 change your life?

How rich do you need to be for £10,000 to be like pocket change?
    It would be 10K towards a house
    That is all
    It is not a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    its all relative

if i gave my 15 y/o brother £10,000 he'd be floating in the clouds for 2 years, thats nearly £500 a month*

if i gave my eldest brother £10,000 (alot less than his annual bonus), he'd stick it in his bank account and essentially forget it was there, nothing would change for him at all

if you gave me £10,000 id probably put it towards a new car, would it 'change' my life, sure, who doesnt want a new car, id be happier to drive it everyday and everywhere, but it definitely isnt a life-changing amount of money
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I have that amount in savings so yes i feel its a decent amount of money but after getting married and a house deposit it would all be gone, so in reality it isnt a lot of money really.

ReputationRep:
    With £10000 I would use it and enjoy myself a little more at uni - more and nicer food and maybe get a nicer place. I would stash the rest of it for later like buying a car, saving towards a house, or getting married.

I'd give a few thousand to my parents too just to help.

ReputationRep:
    It is life changing to most people.

Someone who has never been abroad/wants to visit somewhere far like Malaysia/Mauritius etc could have a holiday of a lifetime and probably the best holiday of their lives and their family.

That £10k could mean that they are ready for a house e.g. deposit (if they already have some savings) or closer to the goal

£10k could go on overpayments to a mortgage

£10k could buy you a 2015 reliable car like a Corsa which is an investment because a nearly one that has done say maximum 20k miles should last over 10 years if well maintained

ReputationRep:
    £10 K would pay for one year of tuition fees with 1K left over
    Not much is it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's a nice addition, but definitely not life-changing. Even a million isn't a lot of money in reality. It'd get you a house and then support you for maybe 10-15 years?

I'd use the £10k to pay my overdraft off and support myself in London if needed to between finishing uni and starting a job.

ReputationRep:
    £10,000 is a lot of money to some people, but to others it is merely the price of a meal at an expensive restaurant.

It is a lot of money but would not change my life drastically, it is less than my school fees! Having said that, £10,000 saved up for a pension or something can for sure help.

ReputationRep:
    £10k is a lot of money lol... I'd just dump into my ISA

ReputationRep:

ronnie o sullivan

LOL

ReputationRep:
    You've to be earning 6 figures for £10,000 not to figure much. Heck of a lot to me, and it'd change my life insofar as I'd use it to build! :woo:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

It's an awful lot of money to me, it'd pay for my postgrad year (if I could fund it). Alternatively, I'd use some of it to treat myself to new tech equipment, and put the majority of it away in savings; hoping that the interest rate rises enough to make a bit of interest on it :yep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by spiritless98)
    £10 K would pay for one year of tuition fees with 1K left over
    Not much is it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That shows you how expensive tuition fees are nowadays!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    £10,000 wouldn't change my life. :lol:
    I'd probably spend that money on a new computer and other tech stuff.
    ^Knows what's real. Having to keep bouncing audio coz' comp can't handle it :emo:

ReputationRep:

10k is currently 2 months salary for me, after tax and NI.

That feeling when you're the 1%...feels good man

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Short term, yes especially if you're at university right now
    Long term, definitely not with regards to a house deposit

ReputationRep:
    No it's not a lot of money to me. It's not chump change but it's not much to me at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satanas)
    10k is currently 2 months salary for me, after tax and NI.

That feeling when you're the 1%...feels good man

Posted from TSR Mobile
    10k is slightly more than I make in 2 weeks so "I'm considerably richer than yow!"

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.