Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    So, overall it was a good experience?
    (Original post by mkap)
    im sure you looked really pretty. wearing ahijab really makes women beautiful in my eyes. i honestly wouldnt be offended at all. im happy you were open to the option of wearing it. i wouldnt get offended as there is a stigma that wearing the hijab is oppressive on women, so i was interesting to see how a non muslim felt wearing it. what was it like wearing it, how did you feel wearing it in public
    That's what I thought too, the hijab really brought out the colours in everyone's eyes you're right in that there is a stigma that wearing a hijab is oppressive, and that's part of the reason they were doing it - in order to show us what it's actually like as well as to raise awareness of the religion and what it means.

I was quite hesitant at trying it at first but it gave me a massive confidence boost, which I didn't expect. I chose one the same colour as my eyes and it made them sparkle, and in some ways it was liberating knowing that I didn't need to worry about how my hair looked, and it made me care a lot less about what other people think of me. Overall it was a really pleasant experience, I felt happy and more secure in myself than I imagined I would be, hence why I'd like to wear one again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    ignore the haters who think your attention seeking, i respect you for trying it out you didnt want to offend muslims, majority of muslims here dont have a problem with it. its mostly the non muslims on here who seem offended but who cares, its not part of their religion
    Thank you I must say I agree; it seems that the people who are up in arms about this are not Muslim, whereas those who are Muslim seem much more open and accepting of the idea. It's strange but interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    haha thats random

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    haha thats random
    Oh thought you'd have seen the video :lol:

Here is is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bealzibub)
    picture or it never happened
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 325
Size:  180.6 KBWearing lots of layers so not looking my best but here's the pics to prove it did happen.

ReputationRep:
    If that's what you want to do, then do so. The practice of hair covering was not invented by Islam, and even now is not exclusive to Muslim women only. It's disgusting that many hijab wearers receive abuse, but I don't see why people use that as a reason to argue that non Muslims should therefore not cover their hair. Cultural Appropriation is a real issue, but this is not it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Hi guys,
    I'm an atheist but a group of Muslim girls have set up the hijabi challenge at my university, which involves non Muslims wearing a hijabi and writing down how they feel while wearing it. I did it and I really liked how pretty I looked, and lots of people wanted to take photos because I looked really good.

So my question is: would it be offensive if I wore one occasionally, as I'm not a Muslim? Or would it be seen as solidarity and acceptable?
    It wouldn't be offensive at all. Its your body and its your choice what you wear (unless its acceptable by the law).

ReputationRep:
    do what you like, the hijab/headscarf isn't directed at muslims only, many people wear the headscarf due to where they live in the world and may not be muslims.

if i may ask, what is the genuine reason for wearing the hijab? (sorry if i missed it in ur question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGurl)
    do what you like, the hijab/headscarf isn't directed at muslims only, many people wear the headscarf due to where they live in the world and may not be muslims.

if i may ask, what is the genuine reason for wearing the hijab? (sorry if i missed it in ur question)
    Thank you in Islam a hijab is worn for modesty, so that their hair is only seen by their partner. Some Muslims choose to cover their whole face as a symbol of modesty, again so that it is for their partner and their partner alone to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamran Fazal)
    It wouldn't be offensive at all. Its your body and its your choice what you wear (unless its acceptable by the law).
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    If that's what you want to do, then do so. The practice of hair covering was not invented by Islam, and even now is not exclusive to Muslim women only. It's disgusting that many hijab wearers receive abuse, but I don't see why people use that as a reason to argue that non Muslims should therefore not cover their hair. Cultural Appropriation is a real issue, but this is not it.
    Thank you very much for your responses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 325
Size:  180.6 KBWearing lots of layers so not looking my best but here's the pics to prove it did happen.
    You look beautiful x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Oh thought you'd have seen the video :lol:

Here is is

lol that made me laugh; he's really badly sun burnt
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    lol that made me laugh; he's really badly sun burnt
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Indeed :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haj101)
    You look beautiful x
    Thank you, I'm very flattered x

ReputationRep:
    I think wearing a hijab purely for your own vanity is so self-absorbed.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we could all smoke weed and get along

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the important part is what you've witnessed yourself so far. The actual Muslims have only shown support and encouraged you. I don't know why it is that nowadays everyone assumes that everyone else will be offended by something, and they go as far as get offended for other people.

ReputationRep:
    It's clothing but it's not a fashion trend. there's religious background to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    I think the important part is what you've witnessed yourself so far. The actual Muslims have only shown support and encouraged you. I don't know why it is that nowadays everyone assumes that everyone else will be offended by something, and they go as far as get offended for other people.
    PRSOM! I've noticed this as well; the Muslims have all encouraged me and said it's a good idea. So far it's only been non Muslims who have told me its offensive, disrespectful, inappropriate etc. Honestly I think only people who are Muslim have the right to say whether or not they're upset by it, it's bizarre that people are getting offended on their behalf.

ReputationRep:
    Y'all don't think twice before dressing e.g. a 'sexy nun'/Satan yet feel they have to ask permission before wearing a scarf!? :facepalm2:

#MoralInconsistency

#PanderingToIslamism

#OneRuleForUsAnotherRuleForThem

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.