Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malware)
    there's nothing to debate against because it's true and over your head "lmao"
    your sexuality has something to do with it. your lack of awareness has something to do with it as well.
    if you say so buddy, run along now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    if you say so buddy, run along now
    do you seriously think there's no motive behind it buddy?
    must be an atheist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoredHumxnity)
    that is very ignorant of you to say. I am guessing you haven't done any proper research as in reading the holy Qur'an? I bet you get all your info from the media and if so, you are looking at a very biased, islamaphobic source my friend
    nah, I know quite a lot about islam actually, sorry. not many people do hough so I don't blame you for making that assumption. but honestly, islam is shocking. the testimony of a woman is worth a man's. women must get less (half?) the inheritance of their male counterparts. girls can get forcibly married with no age of consent. if a woman gets raped, she must marry her rapist. if she doesn't scream loud enough during the rape, she'll get put to death for adultery. women aren't allowed to rule over men. the list goes on and on.

(Original post by ivybridge)
    Mate, I know a shed-load of muslims who believe their religion is personal and doesn't impact on wider things.
    And good for them (and the rest of us, too). But what proportion of the world's Muslims would you say that they constitute? I've already said that liberal Muslims exist, especially in the West (although that latter point was admittedly implied by my example rather than explicitly stated).

But how? People do cherry-pick in Islam too... what "mechanisms" are we talking about? It's rubbish.
    As it happens, people do cherry-pick Islam. But that doesn't change what Islam claims about itself. Ask your liberal friends if they think that the Koran is the literal, unaltered word of God and, on a balance of probability, they will say yes. But they still cherry-pick.

We find ourselves in an uncomfortable position: criticise the hypocrisy of people who cherry-pick but still insist that it's all literally true and that they follow it completely, or allow it to continue in the hope that, gradually, moderates and liberals will constitute the majority of Muslims, at least in the West.

Either way, the claim of Islam that it's holy book is not only unaltered in the last 1 400 years, but unalterable is unchanged, which is why much of the world's Muslim population is likely to disagree with you. Your liberal friends are likely to be regarded as heretics or apostates in much of the Muslim world, because of this injunction against revisionism or innovation.

You don't even need to take it from me -- there are plenty of prominent Muslims on TSR who've repeatedly made this point about innovation and how Muslims ('true Muslims', as the phrase goes) ought to resist it.

ReputationRep:
    In this particular situation gays and muslims will band together to further promote their individual causes, for economic and political benefit, obviously. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Muslims also joined with Nazis for obvious reasons, just google children.

Egalitarianism isn't just to be nice to everyone; the politicians and activists who believe in it will obviously come together for their own benefit. That is politics and economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    nah, I know quite a lot about islam actually, sorry. not many people do hough so I don't blame you for making that assumption. but honestly, islam is shocking. the testimony of a woman is worth a man's. women must get less (half?) the inheritance of their male counterparts. girls can get forcibly married with no age of consent. if a woman gets raped, she must marry her rapist. if she doesn't scream loud enough during the rape, she'll get put to death for adultery. women aren't allowed to rule over men. the list goes on and on.
    with respect, that is still so mf ignorant oml go read the Qur'an because you obviously havent you cant just say that islam thinks all that bs about women because they dont you brainwashed pitiful person you only think this because everyone only shows the bad muslims of the world and not the true, kind, beautiful, honest ones!
    If you want to discuss this further make your own thread smh youve really darkened my mood

ReputationRep:
    with respect, that is still so mf ignorant oml go read the Qur'an because you obviously havent you cant just say that islam thinks all that bs about women because they dont you brainwashed pitiful person you only think this because everyone only shows the bad muslims of the world and not the true, kind, beautiful, honest ones!
    If you want to discuss this further make your own thread smh youve really darkened my mood
    ...but this is what the qur'an literally and objective states. and muslims don't come from an enlightenment european culture (mostly not, anyway). sorry but you're simply wrong. I take it you haven't read the qur'an verses that I'm referring to. I mean, sure, it's nice to feel like muslims aren't illiberal but they mostly are. guess how many muslims in this country, for instance, accept gay marriage. guess how many of them think that people ought to be legally punished for insulting the phophet muhammad. honestly, I think you're really just uninformed on this. I used to be like you - looking through my utopia-goggles, but honestly, culture is significant to world views. in europe, we are liberal democratic non-religious (mostly) people. in the middle east, well, they're more racist than us (seriously - there've been stats on this), prejudiced, intolerant, homophobic, sexist, etc. muslims aren't in favour of feminism at all. muslims are about the most conservative group on the face of this earth. but is this *really* shocking news to you? :eyeball: I mean, I really wish the middle east had been through the enlightenent that we did in europe, but they didn't. they weren't even touched by it. they effectively live in a theocratic society. and, remember most muslims in the UK are the children of middle eastern immigrant whom grew up in that kind of horrific society of rape culture and dictatorship.. in the UK, at least christians don't *really* believe in the bible or go to church. they only vaguely believe in it, loosely.

sources:
    http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pa...orth-less.aspx
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/18...iel-greenfield
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/m...-homosexuality
    http://www.barenakedislam.com/2013/0...nt-of-the-law/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with being Islamophobic. It's just a word used to shut down debate about Islam that needs to be had. Like I said before, disliking Islam or negatively criticising the ideology is technically 'Islamophobia' and I don't see a problem with that.

Fine, maybe the study is inaccurate; there are various other studies to refer to. If you can't come to terms with the majority of Muslims being against homosexuality then I think you are pretty deluded.
    That's it. Don't let anyone chat ****.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect, it is universally respectful to say PBUH after the Prohpet's name. You use a capital letter for it so I don't see the problem. Even my old atheist RS teacher said it after his name...
    But anyway, that's not my point. I am saying different sects=different interpretations and Christianity was just another example
    Since when has it been universally respectful to say PBUH?

It's not being very respectful to those who dont hold the belief that he is a prophet? Its only being respectful to Muslim beliefs, and its actually being very disrespectful to atheists, Hindus, Christians etc.

Dont make random things up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pseudo-truth)
    LGBT peeps are a minority social group, so tend to look after the interests of other minorities for the sake of solidarity and social justice, even if their interests don't necessarily align.

Watch the film 'Pride' for a better indication of what I'm talking about! It's a genuinely great movie with a good, historical grounding.
    The point is that they will never say anything bad about Islam. Defending individual Muslims from descrimination is admirable, but refusing to point out that parts of Islam promote violence and intolerance is not.

ReputationRep:
    Is it lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Is it lol?
    Yes.

The uni Tumblr squad would rather browse 4Chan than admit there is a problem in Islam.

ReputationRep:
    The correct response to hatred is not hatred, it's acceptance and tolerance of the source of the hatred, in order to show said source of hatred that there is a better way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    That may be the pacifist's wet dream, but in reality the correct response is to challenge the source of hatred and to argue with them until they know their views are unacceptable.

Are you suggesting that people who incite hatred should be shown "acceptance and tolerance" as opposed to being arrested as the law currently stands?
    Yes, and you can challenge the source of hatred without hating it. I challenge right-wing views all the time. Does that mean I would ever hate a right-winger or treat them badly because of their views? No.

Yes, they should, as long as they're not directly inciting violence. We live in a free country with theoretically free speech. We may not like homophobic views, but they're views just like our own views and those who hold them have a right to express them without fear of punishment, just like we have a right to express our own views without fear of punishment.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Because muslims are seen to be a marginalised group so it isn't very PC to be anti-islam.

I'm not accepting of islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suman2209)

Also, even some atheists believe that homosexuality is wrong. In addition to this, there's millions of Muslims within the UK and you're only stating the opinions of 500. I, myself am I Muslim. As any other religion, we believe that homosexuality isn't in nature's favour. However, our religion states that this is also to prevent STDs as the risk is increased when gays commit to intimate contact.
    Hopefully you are a moderate Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pseudo-truth)
    LGBT peeps are a minority social group, so tend to look after the interests of other minorities for the sake of solidarity and social justice, even if their interests don't necessarily align.

Watch the film 'Pride' for a better indication of what I'm talking about! It's a genuinely great movie with a good, historical grounding.
    What about ex-Muslims who are often described as a minority within a minority?

(Original post by The Sociopath)
    The uni Tumblr squad would rather browse 4Chan than admit there is a problem in Islam.
    There were threats by some in the Indonesian government who said that the Indonesian government was looking to ban Tumblr unless it removed the LGBT content. .

ReputationRep:
    LGBTs supporting Muslims is just gross. They should also demonstrate against Naziphobia, since Nazis are a marginalised group, they may have wrong beliefs but many are kind and don't act on it - right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Another post dressed up as pro-LGBT but if turned on its head would be branded Islamophobic. If I said Islam was "wrong", against nature and should be banned to prevent terrorism (which is analogous to you saying that homosexuality is banned in Islam to prevent STDs as you allege the risk is increased), I would be branded an Islamophobe.

Also, I am curious as to how those who wrote the Qur'an/Hadith all those generations ago knew that there was a higher risk of STDs with homosexuals?
    A moderate Muslim only says things smoothly, but when you scratch the fresh paint, you see "homophobia", "misogyny", and "antisemitism" everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Typical knee-jerk SJW reaction. Most of them probably believe the "Islam is a religion of peace" trope, and have no idea that the people who they are supporting believe that they should be killed (or at least, the ideology that they support believes that they should be killed - which amounts to the same).
    Not really. There are different treatments for homosexuals within Islam. All madhabs say that the gay acts are unlawful but there are differences in terms of penalty so no they should not be killed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.