Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    I know it would make a huge difference if everyone felt the same, but the fact of the matter is that they don't. At the end of the day we look to enter relationships with people whom we share common ground with - whether that be religion, social status, level of wealth. So regardless of whether the caste system existed or not, we and our parents would still be picky as to choosing who we want to spend the rest of our lives with.

:fyi: I don't believe for a second that marrying within your caste or believing in it makes you a 'slave'.
    By conforming to the caste system, you're reinforcing its hierarchy and continued influence in modern British society. By choosing to only consider relationships/marriage with someone from you own caste, you're essentially saying that anyone who happens to have the misfortune of being born (through no fault of their own) into a lower caste is unworthy. This is despite the fact that you were raised and reside in Britain and the caste system is an ancient Indian social construct.

You complained earlier about being branded snobby and overly proud and yet you don't think having the attitudes you have in regards to relationships and marriage would lead people to such conclusions? You're dismissing people for being born into social categories deemed lower than yours by an ancient Indian system. And it seems like you're happy to perpetuate the cycle because it pleases your parents. I find that utterly riduclous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    By conforming to the caste system, you're reinforcing its hierarchy and continued influence in modern British society. By choosing to only consider relationships/marriage with someone from you own caste, you're essentially saying that anyone who happens to have the misfortune of being born (through no fault of their own) into a lower caste is unworthy. This is despite the fact that you were raised and reside in Britain and the caste system is an ancient Indian social construct.

You complained earlier about being branded snobby and overly proud and yet you don't think having the attitudes you have in regards to relationships and marriage would lead people to such conclusions? You're dismissing people for being born into social categories deemed lower than yours by an ancient Indian system. And it seems like you're happy to perpetuate the cycle because it pleases your parents. I find that utterly riduclous.
    I answered your question in your OP, so don't turn it around and attack me.
    Oh and I don't believe someone of a lower caste is unworthy, purely because of something they have no choice or control over. What I do believe makes someone unworthy is when they're ignorant and spiteful of higher castes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharkindustries)
    Hate to be that guy, but when you say "more or less the same" I think there is a major difference between how a Hindu family and a Muslim family treat their children.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh with Muslims we don't have caste, our families don't give two shitz about colour race etc. as long as ur partners Muslim, they're cool thank fuk
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I hate the caste system. My parents believe in this bs just because of society and it's going to make my life difficult but I'm going to fight for what i want.

ReputationRep:
    I answered your question in your OP, so don't turn it around and attack me.
    Oh and I don't believe someone of a lower caste is unworthy, purely because of something they have no choice or control over. What I do believe makes someone unworthy is when they're ignorant and spiteful of higher castes.

I'll say what I want. You chose to post in this thread. Contributing doesn't make you immune from criticism.
    How about not thinking of people in terms of which caste they come from in the first place? You only consider yourself a member of a "higher caste" because you recognise the hierarchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbit1234)
    Yh with Muslims we don't have caste, our families don't give two shitz about colour race etc. as long as ur partners Muslim, they're cool thank fuk
    That's not true, muslims of South Asia still follow the caste system. They may have converted to Islam but they kept their old castes hence Butt, Gujjar etc are still in Pakistan. Caste system is also followed in Afghanistan, Pashtun are higher and Hazara are lower

ReputationRep:
    Um Indian Muslim here so I don't know if it's a different situation to Indian Hindus but I have a massive family and some are really white and some are dark and some are in between, soo what u say makes no sense
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    I hate the caste system. My parents believe in this bs just because of society and it's going to make my life difficult but I'm going to fight for what i want.
    That's good to hear. Are your parents aware of your views?

ReputationRep:
    What a load of *******s.

I know plenty of Muslim families that would disown their daughter or son if they married a Muslim from another race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    I'll say what I want. You chose to post in this thread. Contributing doesn't make you immune from criticism.How about not thinking of people in terms of which caste they come from in the first place? You only consider yourself a member of a "higher caste" because you recognise the hierarchy.
    Pathetic :lol:

I don't think of people in terms of what caste they are. Do I go up to people and say 'hi, are you a Jatt?' nah, didn't think so. I answered your question so stop acting so butthurt when it's not what you want to hear. I don't recognise being a member of a 'higher caste' because I'm no higher than anybody else. Being a Sikh I recognise that the caste system is bs and we are all equal because that's what I've been taught.

Stop acting like a child.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about other South Asian Muslims and their traditions. Indian Muslims do not have a caste. Caste system is a Hindu thing. As long as the guy/girl u wish to marry is a Muslim it will be accepted. Sometimes it may not be liked and they may 'prefer' u to get married to someone from a similar background, but as long as the person you'd like to bring home is Muslim it will be accepted as there's nothing they'd be able to do at that point
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    That's not true, muslims of South Asia still follow the caste system. They may have converted to Islam but they kept their old castes hence Butt, Gujjar etc are still in Pakistan. Caste system is also followed in Afghanistan, Pashtun are higher and Hazara are lower

ReputationRep:
    Um Indian Muslim here so I don't know if it's a different situation to Indian Hindus but I have a massive family and some are really white and some are dark and some are in between, soo what u say makes no sense
    Well of course, so does my family. My grandad was dark almost like black people, but I'm medium brown like most Indians, and my mum is lighter like Arabs. And that current variation in skin tone within families is carried over from thousands of years ago. The same can be seen in Latin America and the African Americans in USA. They obviously are within the same family but due to the mixing in the past, the children could come out a different skin tone due to genes carried down. Hope that makes a bit more sense
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Yeah there's quite a strong culture of it in areas of Pakistan I've noticed. Not so much in the UK these days unless there's strong family ties overseas, not sure about the other cultures though.

Thankfully, none of my family or family-friends care about it.

EDIT: Ultimately, Islam takes precedence in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    That implies that you are a believer in the caste system, just not a firm believer.

It is very worrying that huge numbers of people have migrated to this country from countries with very different cultures, chiefly to get away from the ills of those cultures (including economic deprivation) and yet they insist on dragging some of the worst aspects of those cultures with them, even though they were the chief causes of those very ills they have fled from.
    If that is a shot against Indians in the UK, you are hopelessly and hilariously wrong. Indian migrants to the UK are the ones who get visas for which they would need to be off economical value. Similarly, if you look at the average income of the Chinese and Indians per capita in the UK , it is actually higher than even the ethnically white people in the UK. When you say "economic deprivation" , you are filling to acknowledge that both the Chinese and Indians in the UK usually have a very big paid jobs usually in IT, Engineering or medicine hence they are granted visas but quite easily have the option and increasingly are going to other countries like the US or Australia for precisely this reason of prejudice and generalisation. Whilst I do not support the caste system, and it definitely is not what the original culture teaches Indians, there are a lot of other aspects of the cultures the British apply integrate, the curry is a national dish, Diwali and Holi are becoming increasingly popular festivals, yoga is also gaining attention ,,Similar thing goes to other cultures like the Chinese ones through martial arts. What you are saying may be applicable to a few immigrants, but definitely not all of them and also to be noted that you are subtly implying that Syrian economic migrants are terrorists which though I agree they are not asylum seekers as they enter European territory and may have sleeper agents, they are defiantly harmless...

And I don't understand why everyone is saying or implying that Preet supports that she is a believer in the caste system. If one would read her comments carefully, it is very evident that she is clearly and rightfully against it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharkindustries)
    And I don't understand why everyone is saying or implying that Preet supports that she is a believer in the caste system. If one would read her comments carefully, it is very evident that she is clearly and rightfully against it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! Finally someone who has the cognitive ability to read.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that caste does still play a significant role in determining social and relationship choices, even in Britain. My family for example would disallow relationships and/or marriage with a person of a different caste, they wouldn't hesitate to disown me if I was to marry somebody who wasn't a Jatt say (we've had this very discussion before). So yes, caste in some families does dominate who you can and cannot be with romantically, but doesn't determine who I can and cannot be friends with.
    I also feel that there is sometimes a fair bit of hostility between people belonging to different castes; I've heard people of other castes say that Jatt's are overly proud and snobby.

The caste system is still pretty prevalent even among us British Asians and I can't see that changing any time soon
    Not really. I know loads of Indians and the only ones that still practice it are morons.

There isn't any surprise that Jatt's are snobby. They benefited from enslaving everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    If you are implying Hindus are the ones advocating caste, then your ignorance to facts and knowledge is painfully large. I will not try and insult Islam, but at least Hindu women can drive without the prospect of being imprisoned......😈

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Not really. I know loads of Indians and the only ones that still practice it are morons.

There isn't any surprise that Jatt's are snobby. They benefited from enslaving everyone else.
    We're in Britain now, not India.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about other South Asian Muslims and their traditions. Indian Muslims do not have a caste. Caste system is a Hindu thing. As long as the guy/girl u wish to marry is a Muslim it will be accepted. Sometimes it may not be liked and they may 'prefer' u to get married to someone from a similar background, but as long as the person you'd like to bring home is Muslim it will be accepted as there's nothing they'd be able to do at that point
    Maybe, I don't know too much about how it is with Muslims. But I know of one Pakistani couple who were inter-caste and theie parents were against it at first, but it still happened.

ReputationRep:
    maybe I'm from a really a liberal family, but caste has never been an issue. I mean, my mum married a white guy and my cousin has just married outside of our religion and to an American. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I guess because of my upbringing, I assumed that caste was something that only still existed in India with native Indians?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.