Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacwanda28)
    ok, so what is it then?
    Not a choice, for those who take their own life, they do not see an alternative. That is their only option from their perspective. A choice suggests that they actively made the decision when there were two paths to go down, but if you only see one path there is no choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Not a choice, for those who take their own life, they do not see an alternative. That is their only option from their perspective. A choice suggests that they actively made the decision when there were two paths to go down, but if you only see one path there is no choice.
    I think this is one of the first times I've actually 100% agreed with you.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is one of the first times I've actually 100% agreed with you.
    Thanks. It is my area of expertise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Idiots. If their life is so bad in Greece why didn't they just stay in Syria/Afghanistan/whatever country they came from?
    Because they want to stay in Greece, they wanted to get to the wealthy parts of Europe. Life in Greece is safer than life in Syria and Afghanistan but conditions are little better for migrants. They have no future in Greece, you can't live somewhere indefinitely without a house, without money.

ReputationRep:
    I just meant if like all of your family and neighbours were talking about going to Europe, would you have considered it then?
    Perhaps, but it doesn't mean I will go there.

So you would've waited until you had a concrete job before coming over? That's fair enough. Why do you think more people haven't done that then?
    Because they know they can't get one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pingu97)
    It's a huge relief to see someone not saying such disgusting lies like those trolls do, they grow up reading rag 'newspapers' like the sun. Aswell as rubbish like the mail, express, telegraph I do wish they would reply to these messages. It will be very interesting to hear what these fools say.
    It would be very interesting to hear what the rape victims of the migrants in Cologne have to say about your ignorant, "the world is all rainbows and hugs and everyone's good and not scrounging for benefits at all" attitude.

ReputationRep:
    I just meant if like all of your family and neighbours were talking about going to Europe, would you have considered it then?

So you would've waited until you had a concrete job before coming over? That's fair enough. Why do you think more people haven't done that then?
    you cant blame these ppl for trygin to get into europe, whatever their motivations be it escaping shia sunni war, islamist groups, or simply the opressed and wretched lives of their previous societies - they are desperate enough to pay criminal gangs to smuggle them over.

the point is simply dealing with the influx is not a solution to the problem - if the root causes are ignoraed which is what many rather ignorant ppl on this thread seem to try and do. wars driven by islamic sectrarianism, islamic fundamentlaism funded by arab gulf states, and on a much wider scale the failure fo various islamic societies to provide relative education and properity for muslims. it is no coincidence is it that pretty much all the mass migration currently is muslims fleeing islamic nations.

where is the strategy to stem the flow by tackling the problem- ie the unstable islamic societies they are all coming from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    you cant blame these ppl for trygin to get into europe, whatever their motivations be it escaping shia sunni war, islamist groups, or simply the opressed and wretched lives of their previous societies - they are desperate enough to pay criminal gangs to smuggle them over.

the point is simply dealing with the influx is not a solution to the problem - if the root causes are ignoraed which is what many rather ignorant ppl on this thread seem to try and do. wars driven by islamic sectrarianism, islamic fundamentlaism funded by arab gulf states, and on a much wider scale the failure fo various islamic societies to provide relative education and properity for muslims. it is no coincidence is it that pretty much all the mass migration currently is muslims fleeing islamic nations.

where is the strategy to stem the flow by tackling the problem- ie the unstable islamic societies they are all coming from
    in no way was I blaming these people, I completely understand why they're fleeing. I was just questioning others on here that say they wouldn't be trying to get into Europe.
    I completely agree with you, we do need to try and resolve the source of the problem, but until it is solved, I think we should be looking after as many people as we can.

ReputationRep:
    not really a solution- the only real solution to this overall problem is the islamic world advances a couple of centuries to the 21st -to catch up with the rest of the planet, then muslims wouldnt be legging it in their millions from the sinking ship that is islamic society. and all and sundry trying to peddle the nonsense blag that 'islam is the best way' probably need to pipe down too- because that sort of self- delusion doesnt help.

unfortunatley by the time it gets on par with the 21st century, it may be the 23rd century
    Syria was fairly secular nation till **** hit the fan. These people are fleeing in part due to the conflict but also as they don't want to live under Islamic rule (Daesh). Muslim countries are doing ok (Malaysia, Saudi, UAE, even Pakistan) even if you don't agree with the practices there the migrants from these countries (probably just Pakistan) are mostly economic migrants not fleeing scary Islamic society.
    Even if Pakistan was an atheist state Britain would still be the promised land.

pakistan isnt a war-torn country, is simply an islamic country. if the your suggestion now is to absorb all the problem populations of the islamic world because islam is not a basis for a civilised society - the you are laughable.
    even if we wanted to we could not makeup for the failures of islamic society and the fallout of their conflicts, in the same way perhaps far more needy people in the past conflicts of sierra leone, darfur congo etc were not housed in here in the millions either, why do you think we should be giving the islamic world special treatment over africa?

it is not the solution- the only solution is for the islamic world to get its own house in order - ie stop produceing ad exporting islamist ideology to the rest of the globe and do right by its own people instead of peddling ideas of land grabbing expansion. the islamic world is still filled with the worlds poorest and least educated and to a large extenst is still full of flashpoints for wars as we are seeing. their needs to be a mass overhaul of attitude within islamic society - simply piling ppl in boats and flaoting them over to europe will not change any of the mess they left behind
    (Original post by Pingu97)
    This is ludicrous you are becoming more stupid by then second. 1300 years of war, you have no knowledge of Islam at all lol.
    The takiban controls vast areas of Afghanistan honey do a little search. And these groups were trained by the west doll if you know anything about the mujahideen in the 80s. If you know anything about the funding of al Qaida. About the arming of extremists Syrian Rebels. And don't talk about Yemen honey without talking about the puppet Saudi monarchy's blood massacre and the funding of thousands of weapons which kill innocent civilians they does make the people angry so they turn extreme in return and want revenge. There are a couple of pieces bin laden actually wrote detailing why he is doing these terrorist activities and all of them include the wests terrorist activities. And don't talk about poverty without talking about slave labour in developing countries, dumping of waste in Africa, the ibm and te etc goes on forever. And before you give the argument that Islam hasn't contributed anything do one Google search or read one book and then try to deny it
    I did ask you before.
    Do you expect everyone to kill themselves then?
    I was looking for an answer, and you gave me one.
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You didn't quote me on it.

I don't think everyone suffers from depression.
    What if everyone you knew was trying to get into Europe? Would it have crossed your mind then?
    But you still would've wanted to come to a western country eventually, if the opportunity came about?
    In other news, students may need to learn about Islamic civilisation, Mayan culture or Benin in West Africa but they need not study British kings and queens. WOW! http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/648...ignore-British

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    In other news, students may need to learn about Islamic civilisation, Mayan culture or Benin in West Africa but they need not study British kings and queens. WOW! http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/648...ignore-British
    No they don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    I think it would be good to balance both so then students get a more overall world history rather than focus just on one country or period etc. I'm a bit biased though because I love medieval history

ReputationRep:
    Their sense of entitlement sickens me, who on earth do they think they are? Earlier today they were throwing massive stones and ramming Macedonian police officers with steel ramps, They are lucky they weren't all shot to death right there and then like they would have been if Europe had half competent leaders who weren't spineless cowards like Merkel.

This is a textbook invasion, Don't respect countries borders- Check!, Don't respect their laws- Check!, Rape Women in other countries- Check!

Most of these clowns are from North Africa or Pakistan, they are not fleeing war like real Syrian people btw. If Europe let's these people settle then they will take us for mugs and we would deserve everything we get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    Syria was fairly secular nation till **** hit the fan. These people are fleeing in part due to the conflict but also as they don't want to live under Islamic rule (Daesh). Muslim countries are doing ok (Malaysia, Saudi, UAE, even Pakistan) even if you don't agree with the practices there the migrants from these countries (probably just Pakistan) are mostly economic migrants not fleeing scary Islamic society.
    Even if Pakistan was an atheist state Britain would still be the promised land.
    syria was governed ( effectively ) as a secular nation- and as so it was relatively stable. Add in though islamic influences dating back 1300 years however you get the inevitable mess that is current day. same can be said of the worsening situations in yemen and sudan. sauid and UAE are effectively at (proxy) war with iran right now. pakistan is by no means 'doing ok' - islamist groups still rule large swathes of the country and dont answer to the national government - and that too because its governance has become more ' islamic' in its nature over the years.

east asian malaysia and indonesia are comparatively better - but again in the last 15 years have been going backward, with islamic groups attempting to revert their effectively non-islamic governments to more backward thinking islamic councils - creating major discontent there.

if you look at who are the powers that push more 'islamification ' in muslim countries around the world with their oil money - you dont have to look further than saudi and iran

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.