Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever thought about giving blood? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you ever given blood?
    Yes
    11.99%
    No, but I would like to
    52.74%
    No and I do not want to
    20.27%
    I cannot give blood
    14.99%

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes. I lived with a woman once whose brother had died in infancy as a result of being one of the people given HIV contaminated blood. It really did hit home the importance of the whole thing.

This said, I've never donated. I used to think that, given my heavy drinking and excessive lifestyle, giving my blood would be an ethically dubious decision. I understand now that this isn't the case in general so really should consider donating at some point in the future.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Yes. I lived with a woman once whose brother had died in infancy as a result of being one of the people given HIV contaminated blood. It really did hit home the importance of the whole thing.

This said, I've never donated. I used to think that, given my heavy drinking and excessive lifestyle, giving my blood would be ethically dubious decision. I understand now that this isn't the case in general so really should consider donating at some point in the future.
    I'm so sorry to hear about that, that's awful

You're completely right though! It is really important to give blood and you should be perfectly fine to donate , it'd be amazing to do whenever you can! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've donated once when the blood van was outside my old work. I intended to the second time it was there but couldn't as I was on antibiotics at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    You're welcome :yep: you did something amazing tonight, really! It's all worth it for the card (kidding :giggle:)
    Awh thanks but im gonna be dead so its not like brave or anything
    just recycling mah body parts
    at least i wont be eaten by maggots or some ****
    x'D the card is really cool tbh
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I've donated once when the blood van was outside my old work. I intended to the second time it was there but couldn't as I was on antibiotics at the time.
    Hey! Well done on donating! It's a shame that you couldn't donate a second time but there's always the third time! You could find out when it'll next be there on their website: https://blood.co.uk

(Original post by z33)
    Awh thanks but im gonna be dead so its not like brave or anything
    just recycling mah body parts
    at least i wont be eaten by maggots or some ****
    x'D the card is really cool tbh
    The prospect at least is amazing when you think about it :yep: you might be long and gone but your generosity will allow others to live on even after you've passed, it's one of the most amazing gifts you could ever give :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The precedent at least is amazing when you think about it :yep: you might be long and gone but your generosity will allow others to live on even after you've passed, it's one of the most amazing gifts you could ever give :yep:
    Awhhhh well it makes me useful to someone at least x'D thanks Ethan
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by z33)
    Awhhhh well it makes me useful to someone at least x'D thanks Ethan
    I meant prospect! You're welcome though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I meant prospect! You're welcome though :yep:
    i know i know x'D <33 :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I did it last summer and the whole experience was pretty great especially since my mum felt obliged to buy me snacks even AFTER the obligatory ones provided. So yeah, bring someone who will most likely buy you food :lol:

I feel a bit bad for not going back and doing it again. Definitely will as soon as I can find some time! :yep: ..and probably bring my mum along as well...

EDIT: Just booked an appointment for one in June! The day after my last exam
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Yes but I'm not allowed to.

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood once! Got really excited when I got my donor card too but unfortunately I lost track of stuff and haven't donated since.
    In fact, thank you for this thread! Excellent reminder that I should book a slot for one sometime soon!

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to, but unfortunately I like ****.:banana2:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    I've given blood once! Got really excited when I got my donor card too but unfortunately I lost track of stuff and haven't donated since.
    In fact, thank you for this thread! Excellent reminder that I should book a slot for one sometime soon!
    You're welcome Mocha! :excited: That's amazing that you've given blood and I hope you give again soon :yep:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah I would give blood once I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    I did it last summer and the whole experience was pretty great especially since my mum felt obliged to buy me snacks even AFTER the obligatory ones provided. So yeah, bring someone who will most likely buy you food :lol:

I feel a bit bad for not going back and doing it again. Definitely will as soon as I can find some time! :yep: ..and probably bring my mum along as well...

EDIT: Just booked an appointment for one in June! The day after my last exam
    Hahahaha we got pizza afterwards so I wasn't overloaded with snacks from my mum :lol: that's amazing! Thank you for doing something brilliant :yep:

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Yes but I'm not allowed to.
    That's a shame but it's the thought that counts :yep: — have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Yeah I would give blood once I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can give at 17! Unless there's a specific reason you're waiting…
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    You can give at 17! Unless there's a specific reason you're waiting…
    Can you?

But yeah I'm mainly waiting because I'll have more time when I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Can you?

But yeah I'm mainly waiting because I'll have more time when I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep! A lot of people think it's 18, I did too until I checked :yep: — that's fair enough! :excited:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yep! A lot of people think it's 18, I did too until I checked :yep: — that's fair enough! :excited:
    Cool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster

That's a shame but it's the thought that counts :yep: — have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register?
    I ticked the boxes a couple years ago when joining a new practice but I never followed through to make sure I was registered. I vaguely recall a letter. I think I am. I might chase it up.

At least people here are recognising the importance of regular donations :yep: as blood drives don't really work.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.