Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kieran12321LFC)
    Art is simply for entertainment but science is for development
    You do realise that technology is just one facet of development? Would you like to live in a basic tribal community which may well have the greatest technological innovation in the world but has no social or cultural development?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    right sure

i value art more.

scientists are more replaceable than artists imo
    A world without art would be boring but that's it. In a world without science we would still be living like tribes

ReputationRep:
    I am really **** at IQ puzzles. I don't live a normal life. Next question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pecora)
    The man whose IQ is the second highest in the world is unemployed.
    no he works as an A&E doctor...

ReputationRep:
    A world without art would be boring but that's it. In a world without science we would still be living like tribes
    yeh but that doesn't mean that scientists are more valuable or more intelligent.

scientists are replaceable. the facts are out there to be discovered about the things relevant to humans

a tesco worker has more value than a psychiatrist i'd say (i see a psychiatrist and it's useless) but i'd hesitate to say they're more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Strong words from the guy incapable of holding down a job.
    And asked 'If heat rises, why don't fires just float away?' :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    You do realise that technology is just one facet of development? Would you like to live in a basic tribal community which may well have the greatest technological innovation in the world but has no social or cultural development?
    We wouldn't be living in a basic tribal community. I wouldn't prefer there to be no art, but science is more important
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    How come the average IQ of a country correlates fairly strongly with how developed that country is
    You're obviously more likely to achieve your potential in a more developed country where you can go to school from a young age, won't be malnourished and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    You're obviously more likely to achieve your potential in a more developed country where you can go to school from a young age, won't be malnourished and so on.
    If the average base IQ was higher in these places they would be able to go to school from a young age and so on

yeh but that doesn't mean that scientists are more valuable or more intelligent.

scientists are replaceable. the facts are out there to be discovered about the things relevant to humans

a tesco worker has more value than a psychiatrist i'd say (i see a psychiatrist and it's useless) but i'd hesitate to say they're more intelligent.
    Scientists have given us medicine, clean water, the ability to travel into space and they have given us the technology required for us to go on TSR. Science isn't just about facts and the development of the modern world has been down to those who are scientifically minded, not those who are artistically minded and not the person working at Tesco

ReputationRep:
    If the average base IQ was higher in these places they would be able to go to school from a young age and so on

Scientists have given us medicine, clean water, the ability to travel into space and they have given us the technology required for us to go on TSR. Science isn't just about facts and the development of the modern world has been down to those who are scientifically minded, not those who are artistically minded and not the person working at Tesco
    right but the development of the modern world is more down to a tesco worker than it is to a psychiatrist or other average job science grad

ReputationRep:

Scientists are very creative people. The more creative you are the more intelligent you are. Hence Picasso was a genius.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    :hi:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Surely you don't honestly believe that? I've just had a look at the stats and the correlation isn't even all that strong. A few extra points on average on a test (that I imagine isn't even widely administered in most underdeveloped countries) isn't going to overcome massive economic barriers to development.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

You can't ignore the impact of non-science people though. They have fostered education systems and social security, allowing for social mobility. Medicine is the domain of scientists but the NHS was the vision of politicians. Literature and poetry provide inspiration and language skills, the latter being integral to meaningful collaboration. I could continue listing examples but you get my point. We needed far more than just scientists to get where we are today, even if their work seems more primarily important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    Scientists are very creative people. The more creative you are the more intelligent you are. Hence Picasso was a genius.
    I know this, but this leads to another conversation, be arsed with it rn, ygm

right but the development of the modern world is more down to a tesco worker than it is to a psychiatrist or other average job science grad
    It's more down to a Tesco worker it's the same. The best Tesco workers generally don't drive innovation and development but the best at science do

ReputationRep:

It's more down to a Tesco worker it's the same. The best Tesco workers generally don't drive innovation and development but the best at science do
    ok mr science i give up you brick wall

ReputationRep:

Make time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    You can't ignore the impact of non-science people though. They have fostered education systems and social security, allowing for social mobility. Medicine is the domain of scientists but the NHS was the vision of politicians. Literature and poetry provide inspiration and language skills, the latter being integral to meaningful collaboration. I could continue listing examples but you get my point. We needed far more than just scientists to get where we are today, even if their work seems more primarily important.
    I'm not completely dismissing artists I'm just saying their contribution isn't as much as scientists

(Original post by RayApparently)
    Surely you don't honestly believe that? I've just had a look at the stats and the correlation isn't even all that strong. A few extra points on average on a test (that I imagine isn't even widely administered in most underdeveloped countries) isn't going to overcome massive economic barriers to development.
    The correlation definitely is strong. There are more than a few points difference

ok mr science i give up you brick wall
    Sound

ReputationRep:
    I'm not completely dismissing artists I'm just saying their contribution isn't as much as scientists

The correlation definitely is strong. There are more than a few points difference

Sound
    you're an aspie masturbator

you'll probably end up being an average science teacher with a chubby wife

ReputationRep:
    OP got a score of 140 on a an online IQ test and now he is superior to everyone else

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.