Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Well I don't know where you're getting your money from but for me to live at UCL I need just over £13k (which i initially worked out before hand, but recently confirmed it with UCL and their average cost of living per year is close to what I had in mind). £10k from loan, £2k from UCL and £1k from my mom as that's all she can afford and I'm just about getting there.

Accomodation alone costs £6k so you're either lying, living somewhere for free or you have some other income you didn't mention (or you're homeless idk)
    I guarantee you don't need that much.

Your costs will be more expensive in rent/travel sure than a lot of other areas across the country. But if you budget and prioritise well and don't go for a pointless luxury accommodation you can get by on a lot less than 13k.

ReputationRep:
    You can live quite cheap these days. Walk (or cycle), wear plain clothes and wash rarely, go to an Internet cafe for wifi, hell if you're a woman you might not even need to buy alcohol, shower at swimming baths (and keep in shape) there's free food everywhere, if you sleep rough you can run enjoy nature, etc etc I know it's cold out that's why you hook up with a chick you meet in the bar and nick her bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    What does their £13k a year include? You won't be at uni every single week. You won't need textbooks for every single subject and can pick some up second hand.

I studied in London. I walked most places; so rarely had to top up my oyster card. I think I bought something like 2 textbooks in my year at uni. Food cost me no more than £25 a week.
    I've found a lot of university's estimated living costs to be massively overinflated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I've found a lot of university's estimated living costs to be massively overinflated.
    Indeed. And of course, we all have different costs. I, for example, didn't go out; so that was one cost I didn't have which most students did. But I did go to the football most weekends. (which was somewhere between £2 and £16 a time) And of course, depending on the course you do, depends on the costs you have.

I had a budget of £80 a week and lived in halls. I usually had something like £40 a week left over.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. And of course, we all have different costs. I, for example, didn't go out; so that was one cost I didn't have which most students did. But I did go to the football most weekends. (which was somewhere between £2 and £16 a time) And of course, depending on the course you do, depends on the costs you have.

I had a budget of £80 a week and lived in halls. I usually had something like £40 a week left over.
    True, people definitely have different priorities and activity costs. But in terms of what is "needed" as in a roof over their head and food there isn't that much variance within the same uni/ city. I think people are often confusing what they need with what they want.

Though of course if people want to do all these other and cost increasing things that's their prerogative and they can do what they want. I just don't agree that they need to.

I knew this one girl who went to uni in my city and she was always complaining that she didn't have enough money and "needed" more. She got the maximum grant+ loan (which I get and is more than enough in this city to live comfortably) along with a very generous scholarship and she was always complaining how broke she was...girl just couldn't budget or prioritise to save her life.

What does their £13k a year include? You won't be at uni every single week. You won't need textbooks for every single subject and can pick some up second hand.

I studied in London. I walked most places; so rarely had to top up my oyster card. I think I bought something like 2 textbooks in my year at uni. Food cost me no more than £25 a week.
    My accomodation costs the most

I will spend most of the 40 weeks at the uni anyway as I won't be coming back home much. I'm not planning to spend more than that on food but likely a lot in transport

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    I guarantee you don't need that much.

Your costs will be more expensive in rent/travel sure than a lot of other areas across the country. But if you budget and prioritise well and don't go for a pointless luxury accommodation you can get by on a lot less than 13k.
    I'm not going for pointless luxury accomodation, although I am getting ensuite because of personal reasons not because "I want my own bathroom" or whatever.

The rest is just the estimate, but if they give me say £2k less than expected then I will Obv have little money

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.