Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Woman is verbally attacking me because I am Muslim Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Tbf Britain has a horrible free speech record (granted its not Iran/Turkey/Saudi Arabia)
    The very fact our laws don't protect hate speech is what makes them so great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    The very fact our laws don't protect hate speech is what makes them so great.
    Who wants to protect hate-speech? what is hate-speech? who defines what is hate-speech?

Do the laws go both ways? As in "hate-speech" from an atheist criticising Islam is criminalised, but an Islamist saying all atheists are X,Y are Z are criminalised as well? I don't think that happens.

I deteste X, but I defend someone's right to say X. Otherwise, we are no better than Erdogan.

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties union) once defended KKK's right to have a peaceful march, they defended displaying the confederate flag, they defended the tea party, the Westborough Baptist Church and Rush Limbaugh - all this despite being strongly against what the KKK and co stands for... that tells you a lot about what makes anything so great.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Voltaire's biographer

ReputationRep:
    maybe you should play her card and say something back, nothing rude of course (or if u want you can lol) but ask her why she is making such horrible remarks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Who wants to protect hate-speech? what is hate-speech? who defines what is hate-speech?

Do the laws go both ways? As in "hate-speech" from an atheist criticising Islam is criminalised, but an Islamist saying all atheists are X,Y are Z are criminalised as well? I don't think that happens.

I deteste X, but I defend someone's right to say X. Otherwise, we are no better than Erdogan.

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties union) once defended KKK's right to have a peaceful march, they defended displaying the confederate flag, they defended the tea party, the Westborough Baptist Church and Rush Limbaugh - all this despite being strongly against what the KKK and co stands for... that tells you a lot about what makes anything so great.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Voltaire's biographer
    Hate speech like calling someone a P-word or an N-word, either way that isn't correct. Someone criticising Islam is fine but someone criticising someone because they are Muslim is not.

The current UK law, as far as I've seen has not been used in a negative way.

ReputationRep:
    Hate speech like calling someone a P-word or an N-word, either way that isn't correct. Someone criticising Islam is fine but someone criticising someone because they are Muslim is not.
    Of course its not, but that does not mean noone has the right to criticise Islamists. But as grotesque as it is, do you think saying the P-word in a heated (or maybe drunk) moment that isn't going to affect anybody is worthy of being criminalised? and potentially lose their jobs and seriously set them in life? They should jeered at of course, but not have a criminal record.

People have been jailed for things said twitter, and whilst the things they say are despicable, I don’t think they should be jailed

There will always be stupid ********s on twitter, but stupid ********s are stupid ********s... people abuse these laws to censor people they don't like. It.

It happens on Youtube and other social media. People false flags and abuse the system.

If you wish to ban angry stupid idiots for being angry stupid idiots, that's fine. The big problem however is the "de-platform anti hate-speech" (code for censor people we don't like) policy taken by universities and like-minded institutions.

For example, a certain university banned Maryam Namazie for fear of offending Muslims. Milo (well-known “anti-feminist) was banned from a certain university. Even feminists have banned for being the wrong sort of feminist (wrong-think). It happens more than people think.

Sticking to the original point of the thread. It is despicable that would hate people for a certain race, creed, ethnicity. However, the best thing is avoid this person and not escalate the situation any further. The more people are censored, the angrier people get. One of the best things about free speech that it allows people to vent their anger by just talking, instead people might join fair-right radical groups (which is more dangerous) if they feel they their voices are being censored.

ReputationRep:

There is power behind a word, I notice you never used words like cracker or even Jock which are used as slurs but allowed (and black people call the N word to each other all the time)

ReputationRep:
    I'd put her in her place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    There is power behind a word, I notice you never used words like cracker or even Jock which are used as slurs but allowed (and black people call the N word to each other all the time)
    Black people rarely call each other n-ers, most rap music and such is n-as. Nuanced but different.

ReputationRep:
    Keep smiling at her.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20121019064225

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Please see my above post regarding the bit in bold.

But if things were to escalate and she was waiting on her doorstep for me one day and then pulls out a knife (she genuinely looks psycho enough) and me or any other Muslim was to get hurt? I'm sure there are cameras to show that she was harassing me... but Idk what if the police give her a warning and she gets even more psycho.. Idk what to do in situations like this, the police won't be there to stop her if she was to do something. I will most likely see her again and its pissing me off how someone can get away with intimidating somebody like that, I don't want her to get away with her behaviour.
    Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to say it isn't due to you being muslim (tbh it probably is), but unfortionately you don't really have any evidence that it is, so it probably won't be treated as racially motivted.

If you are that concerned that things may become physical or excalate dramatically then report her. It is a concern that it may make it worse, but if it does just report her again.
    You could try reaching out to charaties or organisations for support or advice (unfortionately i don't know what they would be) on what exactally you will need to do, or reporting her to the council instead of the police if she is a neighbour.
    Unfortionately you often need proper evidence for any charges to be placed or anything but hopefully a warning will be enough to scare her.

I really hope it gets resolved and she stops boothering you. I know what it's like to be targeted for no good reason and it can make you feel really helpless and bad about yourself. Just try to stay strong and not let it interfere with the rest of your life.

Please tell me you're joking. This woman does not look innocent she looks evil.
    Bare in mind that you are upset because she is judging you by how you dress and look, yet you are doing the same thing. You're saying she is psycho and evil just because of how she walks, dresses and a couple of negative looks.

Now don't get me wrong it is still rude to tell you to bugger off or whatever and to look at you funny, but it doesn't necessarily mean that she is dangerous or psycho or would hurt you or anybody else.

So far she has been rude and standoffish but hasn't actually done anything specifically illegal or necessarily racist. It sucks that she is making you feel bad but from her point of view you are watching her suspiciously and judging her in much the same way you are accusing her of.

Try to stay away from her and not look at her, if she does something to bother you in the same way as she has so far then write it down or record it somehow.
    If she becomes verbaly or physically abusive in a racist or violent manor then you may want to involve the council or police.

Until then just try to think of how else it could be seen. Maybe she has social issues and you smiling at her made her feel uncomfortable and she acted scary to try to protect herself and make herself feel more comfortable. Maybe she stares at you now for the same reason you stare at her. She may even be suspicious because of your atire, but that is the same reason you are suspicious of her.
    I'm not saing you have no right to be concerned, just trying to point out that there are other possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    It may not be because you're Muslim. I guess it can be easy to think that, but I think she's just not stable.

Stay away from her, and dont put it down to your faith!

Plus remember put your trust in Allah.

ReputationRep:
    don't listen to these white people making excuses for her. next time she does something you need to walk right up to her and ask her what her problem is. don't be scared of people like that you have the right to feel comfortable and safe anywhere you go in your area.
    Vile contemptible racist.

No wonder you are so ashamed of yourself that you have to post anonymously.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.