The Student Room Group

Can you make massive money in investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leavingthecity
People don't go into IB to make MASSIVE money unless they are really clueless.

It's smarter and more common to actually go into it for the opportunities. As in the exit opportunities. If you are lucky you could post IB be making massive money somewhere.

Personally, I don't have the urge to make loads of money anymore.

It depends on what you mean by massive money- for me, £200000 is pretty massive.
Original post by Trapz99
It depends on what you mean by massive money- for me, £200000 is pretty massive.

After tax?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99

Fair enough.

Thought people were talking about several mil a year.
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476

After tax that is £116586, a massive amount.tx.PNG
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by gr8wizard10
salt levels are high

Bitch I have an internship at Rothschild. Just saying that IB is ****. It's still better than all other alternatives though.
Original post by Trapz99
After tax that is £116586, a massive amount.tx.PNG

Honestly in my opinion I dont think thats a massive amount haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

👀👀👀👀 :erm::erm::erm::erm::erm::erm::erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Prajna
Bitch I have an internship at Rothschild. Just saying that IB is ****. It's still better than all other alternatives though.

What does 'salt levels' mean??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you're from a really wealthy family, you must be delusional.
Original post by Gladiatorsword
What does 'salt levels' mean??

Posted from TSR Mobile

UrbanDictionary: 'Salt'

Word: Salty

Meaning: pissed, upset

Example: She was salty because she lost the game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sort of agree. Imagine if you have a big mortgage, a nice car, some treats, school fees and some kids. That's the majority of it gone.

It's a lot of money if you live alone in a flat, for sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Sort of agree. Imagine if you have a big mortgage, a nice car, some treats, school fees and some kids. That's the majority of it gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For someone who's in their mid-late 20s, that is a boatload of money dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a lot of money if you live alone in a flat, for sure though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's like saying that a billion dollars is not a good salary because you need to pay for your private jet, tank, your mortgage for the whole of Central London and your yacht made of solid gold and diamonds. Things like school fees aren't necessary and are a huge waste of money when there are so many amazing state schools out there.
investment banking is now even into aged scotch so it is certainly on the up and worth getting a piece of
http://elitedaily.com/news/global-shortage-of-scotch/1410181/
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not after you start looking at what others around you are earning....it's a terrible thing to get caught up in for some.
Original post by Trapz99
That's like saying that a billion dollars is not a good salary because you need to pay for your private jet, tank, your mortgage for the whole of Central London and your yacht made of solid gold and diamonds. Things like school fees aren't necessary and are a huge waste of money when there are so many amazing state schools out there.

You learn to spend what you've got...
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I don't know many bankers in their twenties on over £200,000. It's still a minority. Most will have families by the time they hit that level and observation tells me it doesn't go as far as you'd expect.

It's a very comfortable salary - yes. A lot of money - no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not after you start looking at what others around you are earning....it's a terrible thing to get caught up in for some.

Lol, that's true. It must be bizarre to sit next to people making 3-5x what you're making :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
You learn to spend what you've got...

Lol i was exaggerating but a lot of people (e.g. Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, maybe Mark Zuckerberg) don't live absurdly expensive lifestyles while being extremely rich. Bankers tend to be more careless with their spending but many of them save and live somewhat normal family lives.
To be honest, I don't know many bankers in their twenties on over £200,000. It's still a minority. Most will have families by the time they hit that level and observation tells me it doesn't go as far as you'd expect.

It's a very comfortable salary - yes. A lot of money - no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I thought £200k (all-in) is the going rate for a 2nd-3rd year Associate.

But fair enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending