Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The rectangular ones are not manhole covers, they cover much smaller cavities, through which people do not crawl; these are typically electricity and communications access hatches, meter or switch covers or water or gas pipe access points.

Manholes are specifically places where people gain bodily access through the road surface to the underground infrastructure (that is why they are called manholes).

All solid shapes have edges. All solid objects that are not variations on a spheroid have edges. You obviously don't study maths. Maybe you are confusing edges with corners.
    The design of these objects ensures they lie flush with the road surface when properly installed. If there were a sharp edge capable of damaging a tyre it would, anyway, be immaterial whether the cover were round or rectangular.

I've said nothing about nicks but I'm not clear how a nick would occur in the normal course of events. If it happened during works I'd expect the contractor to replace the faulty item as a matter of procedure.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone has so much difficulty understanding why manhole covers have to be round and not rectangular or oval. I thought it was common knowledge (or at least blindingly obvious) why that was the case, too. I couldn't have been more wrong
    Your arrogance is appalling. You're wrong but I'm done talking with you if all you can do is throw insults.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Your arrogance is appalling. You're wrong but I'm done talking with you if all you can do is throw insults.
    wot.
    http://i.livescience.com/images/i/00...-100402-02.jpg

Oh and for the really interested have a look at Reuleaux polygons. They also won't fit through their own hole.

ReputationRep:
    The rectangular ones are not manhole covers, they cover much smaller cavities, through which people do not crawl; these are typically electricity and communications access hatches, meter or switch covers or water or gas pipe access points.

Manholes are specifically places where people gain bodily access through the road surface to the underground infrastructure (that is why they are called manholes).

All solid shapes have edges. All solid objects that are not variations on a spheroid have edges. You obviously don't study maths. Maybe you are confusing edges with corners.
    This isn't true - I've recently worked on a site where there are rectangular covers on storm drain covers, designed for people to climb into (3 or 4 metres deep).

Regardless of whether they could get dropped on a person, it's the simple issue of once you've dropped a 40kg lump of iron into a metre of water sitting 3 metres underground, how do you retrieve it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    This isn't true - I've recently worked on a site where there are rectangular covers on storm drain covers, designed for people to climb into (3 or 4 metres deep).

Regardless of whether they could get dropped on a person, it's the simple issue of once you've dropped a 40kg lump of iron into a metre of water sitting 3 metres underground, how do you retrieve it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow! I assumed it was a matter of regulation and the developer would have no choice in the matter. Have the rules changed, or is it just developer's choice? is it a matter of type of location - private site versus public road, do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Some depend on where you're asking about though- the one about the car crashing in the hotel would make you screwed if you're American with those police officers and gun laws.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Anyone worked out the DEADBEEF one yet?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hexa...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenfoot)
    wtf is a manhole

if i was asked such stupid questions i probably wouldnt take it seriously and give back stupid responses. stupid questions get stupid answers.

considering the jobs i apply for as well (part-time retail) i'd walk out, £6-7 is not worth that kind of ridiculous interview process.
    They are robots trying to find more robots.

Anywayz, it's a "person-hole".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm stuck on the first question.

Has anyone answered the piano tuning one?

Spoiler:
    Show

Total population = N
    People per household = n
    Pianos per household = p
    Times piano tuned per year = b
    Number of tunings required in a year = Npb/n

Days worked by tuner = d
    Hours worked per day = h
    Time to tune 1 piano = t
    Number of tunings per tuner in 1 year = dh/t

Number of piano tuners = (Npb/n)/(dh/t)

Sadly this is from some lecture notes I got a few years ago, so no job at Google for me.

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult to believe that anyone has so much difficulty understanding why manhole covers have to be round and not rectangular or oval. I thought it was common knowledge (or at least blindingly obvious) why that was the case, too. I couldn't have been more wrong
    But why are they round and not triangular?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TSRUsername99)
    But why are they round and not triangular?
    Would need to be larger to enable a person to access the hole. And the cover could still fall into the hole.

Not all manhole covers are round, but many are. And rectangular hatches often have a hinge at one side to prevent the cover from falling into the hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Would need to be larger to enable a person to access the hole.
    You sure?

And the cover could still fall into the hole..
    No it couldn't.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You sure?

No it couldn't.
    Yes

Yes - unless it was this shape.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Yes - unless it was this shape.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...iangle.svg.png
    So you're saying they're round because they use less iron and not because they can't fall down their own hole?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So you're saying they're round because they use less iron and not because they can't fall down their own hole?
    No the main reason is the falling down the hole thing.

The size is a secondary consideration, and I haven't done the maths on the minimum area of a triangle vs a circle needed to accommodate a person. But in terms of max width (from apex to apex) I'd guesstimate the triangle will be larger than the diameter of the circle.

ReputationRep:

The size is a secondary consideration, and I haven't done the maths on the minimum area of a triangle vs a circle needed to accommodate a person. But in terms of max width (from apex to apex) I'd guesstimate the triangle will be larger than the diameter of the circle.
    And I agree entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, bit silly to not give any consideration to other shapes though.

But you said you were sure, boy this interview isn't going well for you.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit silly to assume that consideration was not given to other shapes before settling on circles as the preferred solution, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit silly to assume that consideration was not given to other shapes before settling on circles as the preferred solution, isn't it?
    Oh so you mean the correct answer is: we should assume that consideration was given to all shapes and circles were the preferred solution?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    These sound a lot like the Oxbridge interview questions I was told I'd get (and didn't).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

But you said you were sure, boy this interview isn't going well for you.
    Note the hinge.

I can start on Monday.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.