Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanadianReject)
    I'll PM you real quick, we might as well cry about it together.
    I wanna cry with you guys too pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolkid1997)
    I wanna cry with you guys too pls
    Haha, I'll make a PM for all three of us to cry together in.

ReputationRep:
    how do you answer ao2 for Ayer, I was ill for this part and my teacher has never covered it again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanadianReject)
    Haha, I'll make a PM for all three of us to cry together in.
    Can you add me haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnkitKapoor)
    2010: D, 2011: W, 2012: D, 2013: A, 2014: W 2015: D

Why do you think he's come twice?

I'm right, right?
    So is Ayer most likely to come up tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaa3009)
    So is Ayer most likely to come up tomorrow?
    I'm positive he will

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully God does not forsake us tomorrow. Although, I feel like it'll be fine.

Good luck, people.

ReputationRep:
    Ayer or westphal tomorrow? what do you guys think

ReputationRep:
    Westphal summary;
    Intro; The enlightenment period was characterised by a shift from speaking confidently about God to losing the confidence and only speaking about religion. This is known as the movement from philosophical theology to philosophy of religion. Hegel, an Idealist didn't like the idea that we cannot know God.
    Pre-Kantian Theology; Westphal identified two types of philosophical theology; scholasticism and Deism. With Scholasticism reason is in harmony with revelation for example, Aquinas' 5th way, St. Anselm, Augustine etc. whereas with Deism reason is completely separate to revelation. Kant a Deist quotes "within the limits of reason alone". He believed the Kernel, 'God the creator' (and other core central religious beliefs) should be left alone and the husk which involves any miracalous elements such as stories in the bible should be taken out of religion. Deism was the religion of the enlightenment and many of the enlightenment philosophers are atheist i.e. Hume. During this time, many religious wars were occurring e.g. the Catholics vs Protestant therefore, Deism helps to restore this. This was done by making religion objective so people could live more peacefully again (link this with the deontological argument- morality should be universal and a priori etc.). Westphal notes that the problem with religion led onto the growing difference between epistemology and ecclesiology. Kant's new argument for the existence of God was based on epistemological outlook of God. Ecclesiastical outlook undermined their special revealed knowledge of God. Westphal noted that during the Enlightenment period, it was an era for growing rationality which was significantly a product of Deism. Now God and religion could be based on commonly available sources of knowledge; a priori (reason- Kantian ethics) or experience (empirical- Ayer favours this, maybe draw a link). Therefore, arguments such as the ontological argument were rejected as we must now know God by practical reason and not theoretical knowledge. Hume makes major criticisms to the major religious arguments for the existence of God namely the teleological (anthropomorphic view of God, no experience of world making and life effects do not always have like causes so the analogies put forward by scholastic scholars were challenged), ontological and cosmological (fallacious).
    Post- Kantian theology; this was an attempt to rescue a belief in God based on reason- his own approach to Deism.
    Kant's reformulation; 1. we must know God by practical reason not theoretical knowledge 2. There is evil in human nature so the type of reason needed in enlightened society is that of morality. Kant argues morality doesn't need religion but morality inevitably leads to religion (rule of universibility). Consequently, the modifications made by Kant is to make religion a bottom up religion rather than a top down. Universal religion=doing good not to please God but it is the good thing to do (first Categorical imperative, Duty/morality and examples of the honest grocer/the philanthropist etc.). Westphal uses the term 'fetish-faith. This is only doing good to get to heaven. Kant would argue this isn't true morality. Kant saw Christ's only significance was for the ideal of moral perfection so, Christology within reason would be a construction within pure reason inadequate from historical facts therefore, we must demythologise religion (Lessing).
    Schleiermacher saw God (the infinite) can be found in concrete objects (the finite). Our understanding of Go is known as a 'feeling' (Donovan; feeling certain but feeling right?). Owen and Farmer would support this; "we should just know that we are dealing with God... and there will be nothing more to be said". Owen sees intuitions as being the same as knowledge- just as 2+2=4, religious experience through the finite sense is knowledge of God. Hegel (similar to Spinoza) is very critical of Kant and Schleiermacher. He argues Kant restricts religion to morality so considers it as being unconvincing but sees Schleiermacher's approach as being restricts religion to feelings so sees Schleiermacher's account as being confusing. Hegel found that feelings could be compatible with anything. Therefore, Schleier is too grounded in traditional reilgion as opposed to knowing God. Hegel defends metaphysics in post-kantian world.

ReputationRep:
    So guys…

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just want to jump off a bridge. Honestly done lots of Ayer preparation before the exam and when it came to the exam, I only wrote 3 pages for the 30 marker without many points. My mind went completely blank bye to getting an A in RS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    I just want to jump off a bridge. Honestly done lots of Ayer preparation before the exam and when it came to the exam, I only wrote 3 pages for the 30 marker without many points. My mind went completely blank bye to getting an A in RS
    What did you write?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    Mate why you crying about 3 pages. That's more than enough. Also it isn't about quantity, more about quality.

ReputationRep:
    So this exam went so absolutely awfully. It was my favourite passage, from Ayer, I'd done an essay on this which got an A*, felt madly excited when I saw it on the page. But the stupid thing is which I've realised is do not do not do not ever revise late the night before your exam. I was so nervous because I didn't known Westphal ( who thankfully didn't come up) half as well as Ayer and finished revision at 2 am. Was so panicked couldn't sleep so at 5 I asked for my first sleeping pills and I only realised in the exam my brain was still drowsy. My tutor was like ' Yes, Ayer, you must be happy!' And I didn't even write a page for part 1 and a half for part 1. I just don't know what happened I just didn't write anything and that was the extract I knew best I only needed a D to get an A overall, but wanted a lot more because I'd put all that work in, albeit mainly for Ayer.but I don't even think I'll get that now

Hope it went better for everyone else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.