Turn on thread page Beta

Would Leicester winning the title be the biggest surprise in football history? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Depends what the odds were really, not sure what the odds were on Leicester to win when a bookie would offer 70k for your £20. But yes you'd need access to the capital and realistic liability on it.

Right now you'd be a fool not to lay them though if you had the bet going.

Though quick check of the odds you might be better off backing Arsenal and Spurs as seperate bets to win than laying since they're both at 6/1 or better.
    Well I think they were just less than 2s. But not sure

The point is I only know of betfair (edit and a couple of smaller exchanges) and I doubt the liquidity would have been there.

There are actually a lot of pro gamblers who would love to be able to back and lay long term markets on the exchanges but can't due to the lack of liquidity.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by joey11223)
    When did he cash out? I'd have done a lay bet if possible (depends on the odds)

Or cashed out, then put say 10k back on for a bit more.
    Last month some time, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    Well I think they were just less than 2s. But not sure

The point is I only know of betfair (edit and a couple of smaller exchanges) and I doubt the liquidity would have been there.

There are actually a lot of pro gamblers who would love to be able to back and lay long term markets on the exchanges but can't due to the lack of liquidity.
    Eh fair enough on the liquidity front albeit a month ago you might have a had few betting Arsenal/Spurs would beat them to the top (and they could...though getting quite unlucky). I used to do some smaller stakes horse betting so was used to seeing very high amounts of liquidity around for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Last month some time, I believe.
    Hmm depends what their odds were like then, probably 3/1 (depending if it was start or nearing end, it's more like 1/2 or less now).

I'd have certainly had a good look to see if cash out was the best route if I was getting too nervy, backing Arsenal/Spurs most likely.

ReputationRep:
    You could watch the Championsip
    Not a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    I still think Nottingham Forest going Promotion > League Title > European Cup > Retain European Cup in successive seasons remains the biggest shock - it's the equivalent of Norwich City winning the League this season.
    This. It was before my time but reading up on it, watching the film (I Believe In Miracles) and hopefully the book soon, it's a fascinating story. Add to that Forest didn't go up as champions, got the lowest points total to be promoted to then dislodge Liverpool's dominance, and back to back European Cups which hasn't been done since (but could be done this year by Barcelona). Leicester's title win would go down as the biggest surprise in PL history no doubt but to say it's the most unexpected story, not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Your knowledge of football history is poor, it seems. Read up about the 1950 World Cup, when England were beaten 1-0 by a bunch of amateurs from the USA in a group game at Belo Horizonte. The England team contained such superstars as Alf Ramsey, Billy Wright, Tom Finney, Stan Mortenson and Wilf Mannion, and Stanley Matthews was rested. Now, that was a shock.
    This is a bigger achievement imo, that was just 1 match, Leicester were fighting relegation last season so now to be on the verge of winning the league is immense. Gives inspiration to the so called "smaller teams" that they can challenge for the PL in the future on a small transfer budget & wage bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Gives inspiration to the so called "smaller teams" that they can challenge for the PL in the future on a small transfer budget & wage bill.
    I think this is the interesting question now - is this a one off, with the big guns just having a bad year, or is it a sign of things to come.

I'm not sure which way it will go, but I think the general wealth of the Premier League has had an equalising effect. Whilst the clubs bankrolled by the mega rich like City and Chelsea are still in a different universe in terms of the sums they can spend, the big difference now is smaller clubs are now wealthy enough to attract quality talent both in managers and players, and it has narrowed the gap.

There are so many good players around in the Premier League now, there are enough quality stars to be spread around the league. I think the top clubs are getting mugged off a bit in terms of their extra money just disappearing in paying super high wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I think this is the interesting question now - is this a one off, with the big guns just having a bad year, or is it a sign of things to come.

I'm not sure which way it will go, but I think the general wealth of the Premier League has had an equalising effect. Whilst the clubs bankrolled by the mega rich like City and Chelsea are still in a different universe in terms of the sums they can spend, the big difference now is smaller clubs are now wealthy enough to attract quality talent both in managers and players, and it has narrowed the gap.

There are so many good players around in the Premier League now, there are enough quality stars to be spread around the league. I think the top clubs are getting mugged off a bit in terms of their extra money just disappearing in paying super high wages.
    One of the main reasons the gap is narrower is because the top English clubs cannot attract the best talent in the world at the moment, despite their large funds. No money will attract Bale, Neymar etc. Therefore the top clubs have to settle for players in the class below (Depay, Sterling, Pedro, Sanchez etc), and like you say the weaker clubs can afford players with, typically inferior, but comparable ability. However, football works in cycles. Of course Bayern, Barca and Real will always attract the best, but Chelsea, United and City will be able to compete again one day, especially with the French/Eastern European players. When this happens, the Premiership will return to the predictable dominance from the top clubs I believe.

tl;dr: We need to wait for Bayern, Real and Barca to weaken, or a surplus of young talent to emerge, so that City, United and Chelsea can capitalise and become global powerhouses again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    One of the main reasons the gap is narrower is because the top English clubs cannot attract the best talent in the world at the moment, despite their large funds. No money will attract Bale, Neymar etc. Therefore the top clubs have to settle for players in the class below (Depay, Sterling, Pedro, Sanchez etc),
    This has always been true.

Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Batistuta, Del Piero never came to the Premier League.

For years the Premier League was dominated by United based around home grown players and signing players who were underrated in the market but real top calibre.

The difference for United is now its the likes of West Ham picking up Payet whereas if Fergie had still been around he'd have been tuned in to the gems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    This is a bigger achievement imo, that was just 1 match, Leicester were fighting relegation last season so now to be on the verge of winning the league is immense.
    But you asked for a bigger surprise, not a greater achievement. We have all got used to the idea over several months that Leicester are likely to win, so it is not a surprise at all. My suggestion was a great shock.

ReputationRep:

For years the Premier League was dominated by United based around home grown players and signing players who were underrated in the market but real top calibre.

The difference for United is now its the likes of West Ham picking up Payet whereas if Fergie had still been around he'd have been tuned in to the gems.
    The Italian league was far superior to the Premiership when most of those players were at their best, and as I say Barca/Real will always attract the best Spanish/Portuguese/South-American players, hence why we should try to avoid those when buying youngsters.

I'm not really using the past to justify my argument though, rather I'm forecasting, as the success of Manchester United was built on much more than a coherent transfer policy. The main reason United dominated was because SAF made above-average players believe they were world-beaters. Some recent examples include: Fletcher, Brown, Young, Nani, Hernandez and Valencia. These weren't hidden gems, just players playing well above their typical ability. I actually thought SAF was relatively weak on transfers. Can we really say Ronaldo, RVP, Rooney, Carrick, Ferdinand etc were underrated in the market? Evra and Vidic were probably his best signings, in terms of unearthing gems.

As for the future, I don't see any manager replicating what SAF did - although Ranieri is certainly doing a fantastic job of it this season. If a team, or a group of teams, is to dominate this league again, it will be because they have vastly superior players (similar to how Chelsea did under Mou) and I think this is attainable when Barca and Real weaken, and Eastern European/French stars emerge who do not dream of Barca/Real any more than they do of City, Chelsea or United. It sounds crazy, but it will happen, they will not dominate forever. The added benefit for United is that we take our youth academy more seriously than the other English clubs, so we have a greater chance of producing young English talent.

Furthermore, City and Chelsea will be much stronger next year; they're just suffering a blip this year, so teams like West Ham and Leicester will not be getting close to them. United are building for the future and I can see us dominating the world, and hence the league, in 5-10 years.

ReputationRep:

Not really. It's only since La Liga overtook the Prem a few years ago. The examples you give don't prove anything.

The latter two played for the same club in a lesser league to the Prem, hence why they didn't move. The first three were bought by Madrid during the Galactico Era simply because Real had the most money.

ReputationRep:
    Biggest surprise in Sporting history.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it certainly would.

Unlikely to ever be beaten to boot.

( Yes indeed,sporting history as well)

What I want to know is who will play Vardy,Mahrez and Ranieri in the Hollywood movie and how exactly will they change the story ie **** it up?
    I hope we are praying day in day out, Leicester stick it out and Tottenham do not win it.BY ALL MEANS. I don't really care if a Clattenburg red card or a disallowed Kane goal or voodoo, or (wouldn't be the first time for Spurs) food poisoning...

Stops Spurs from winning the league. They just should not be allowed to win. I'm not even an original Leicester fan, but we can all agree it's going to be a real heart breaker if they falter now.

I already see Kevin Hart playing N'golo Kante and Will Smith playing Wes Morgan. Think about how Spurs winning would completely tarnish the movie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1000)
    I hope we are praying day in day out, Leicester stick it out and Tottenham do not win it.BY ALL MEANS. I don't really care if a Clattenburg red card or a disallowed Kane goal or voodoo, or (wouldn't be the first time for Spurs) food poisoning...

Stops Spurs from winning the league. They just should not be allowed to win. I'm not even an original Leicester fan, but we can all agree it's going to be a real heart breaker if they falter now.

I already see Kevin Hart playing N'golo Kante and Will Smith playing Wes Morgan. Think about how Spurs winning would completely tarnish the movie!
    Well,funnily enough,I don't think Leicester failing to win it now need tarnish the movie.

Especially if they lost it in the last few minutes at Chelsea in the last game.

The problem with the movie script as it stands is that Leicester are winning it too easily!

That just won't get bums on seats. No sir.They need to either lose it at the death preferably by one of their players telling the ref that the goal he's just scored was in fact handball and should be disallowed or ,if they do win it,they should go on a mini collapse allowing Spurs and Arsenal to catch up before winning gloriously at Chelsea.

Of course there will be a boy with terminal cancer,one of the players will reunite with the father that left him and his mother as a toddler ,one of the fans will be caring for someone and another will be someone with a disability who finds love with a fellow 'Leicester' fan.

Except the movie wont necessarily be about Leicester but about a team winning something at huge odds .Probably American.

Anyway for the sake of the movie we really really need the mackems to get a result this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    No, they need to win it easily because Guard of honor at CHELSEA for RANIERI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    No, they need to win it easily because Guard of honor at CHELSEA for RANIERI
    They will have that anyway in the movie

ReputationRep:
    Well,funnily enough,I don't think Leicester failing to win it now need tarnish the movie.

Especially if they lost it in the last few minutes at Chelsea in the last game.

The problem with the movie script as it stands is that Leicester are winning it too easily!

That just won't get bums on seats. No sir.They need to either lose it at the death preferably by one of their players telling the ref that the goal he's just scored was in fact handball and should be disallowed or ,if they do win it,they should go on a mini collapse allowing Spurs and Arsenal to catch up before winning gloriously at Chelsea.

Of course there will be a boy with terminal cancer,one of the players will reunite with the father that left him and his mother as a toddler ,one of the fans will be caring for someone and another will be someone with a disability who finds love with a fellow 'Leicester' fan.

Except the movie wont necessarily be about Leicester but about a team winning something at huge odds .Probably American.

Anyway for the sake of the movie we really really need the mackems to get a result this weekend.
    Yeah Vardy seems like that type of guy.

Spoiler:
    Show
    #ChatShitGetBanged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Yeah Vardy seems like that type of guy.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    #ChatShitGetBanged

But I'm talking about the movie innit.

Edit I mean I know that ain't gonna happen

It's a 5000-1 chance

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.