Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to what several people have said, I think there is a place for extra curricula activities in a personal statement. Our advice at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/un...statement.html says
    It's extremely unlikely that having this on your CV would make the difference between you gaining a place or not. However, if you are achieving excellent grades in relevant subjects, and you have the time to excel in something else on the side, we will notice your ability to balance your time between studies and other activities.

Having said this, your UCAS form is read by all the Universities that you apply to, and some of them will put considerably more emphasis on your extra-curricular activities that we do, and we will be aware of that when we read your form.
    I think using about 20% of your PS for extra curriculas is about right.

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Hmmm. Standing out, and being remembered, is so much better if it is for a good reason. Being the subject of a discussion in the admissions staffroom that starts "You'll never believe what some idiot wrote in his PS today ..." is not good.

This topic is in the same class as discussion about Pokemon and Snakes & Ladders - trivial and not likely to be a positive contribution to an application.
    But people in competitive eSports who are actually successful tend to make far more than the average graduate, surely its better than most things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    But people in competitive eSports who are actually successful tend to make far more than the average graduate, surely its better than most things
    Is there a connection between postgraduate earnings and writing a PS for entry to university that I am unaware of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Is there a connection between postgraduate earnings and writing a PS for entry to university that I am unaware of?
    I'm not talking about any of that, but you said it was like snakes and ladders and pokemon. My point is those in eSports would easily earn more than any graduate unless the graduate just happens to do something unrelated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I'm not talking about any of that, but you said it was like snakes and ladders and pokemon. My point is those in eSports would easily earn more than any graduate unless the graduate just happens to do something unrelated.
    I still don't see the relevance to getting in to university (which is what this thread is about), even if what you say is true.

It may also be true that those who have rich parents earn more than others after graduation but that doesn't mean it would influence the admissions tutor to give them a place or that they should devote space in their PS to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.