Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Did your oreo cheesecake require baking at all? Or was it a no-bake cheesecake?
    I started with the no-bake recipe, changed my mind halfway and used the bake recipe instead. Much nicer.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I have an idea. Do you have a recipe to make instant noodles better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    I have an idea. Do you have a recipe to make instant noodles better?
    Yeah it's throw them in the bin and buy proper egg/rice noodles

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's throw them in the bin and buy proper egg/rice noodles
    Oh. I thought you were all about innovation :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Oh. I thought you were all about innovation :lol:
    Okay I'll try.

What type of instant noodles?

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'll try.

What type of instant noodles?
    Let's go Indian.. Maggi curry noodles

ReputationRep:
    Let's go Indian.. Maggi curry noodles
    I've never heard of them.

I imagine you get solid noodles and then have a sachet you pour in and then add water?

I wouldn't bother using the flavour sachet, just use the noodles and make your own spice mix with fresh veg instead. It obviously then isn't instant, but it's probably a lot better for you.

I always cook fresh noodles, mostly rice noodles and all you do is soak them in hot water and let them rest. Then you are free to do with them what you want.

I slice ginger with a mandolin, add garlic and lime zest + a bit of juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and you got yourself an easy stir fry with noodles that don't require any work.

There is no need for anybody to ever eat instant noodles like Pot Noodle other than convenience.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of them.

I imagine you get solid noodles and then have a sachet you pour in and then add water?

I wouldn't bother using the flavour sachet, just use the noodles and make your own spice mix with fresh veg instead. It obviously then isn't instant, but it's probably a lot better for you.

I always cook fresh noodles, mostly rice noodles and all you do is soak them in hot water and let them rest. Then you are free to do with them what you want.

I slice ginger with a mandolin, add garlic and lime zest + a bit of juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and you got yourself an easy stir fry with noodles that don't require any work.

There is no need for anybody to ever eat instant noodles like Pot Noodle other than convenience.
    How do you have all the money to buy the ingredients like steak...? #poorstudent

I might try the recipe there. Any for egg noodles? With meat/veg?

ReputationRep:
    How do you have all the money to buy the ingredients like steak...? #poorstudent

I might try the recipe there. Any for egg noodles? With meat/veg?
    It will work for egg noodles or rice noodles. But follow the instructions on the egg noodles incase you have to do anything more.

Pick a meat and then roll it with a rolling pin to get it as flat as possible, then cut into really thin strips (you can buy meats already prepared for stir fry like beef), but if using chicken breast, butterfly it first then roll it and slice it really thin. Season with salt + peppah.

Use a wok, lube it up with a lil bit of sesame oil and then in goes the chicken/beef strips. Get the wok really hot (smoking) before, THEN put the oil in and then the chicken. When the chicken hits the pan it should immediately hiss.

After a few minutes when the chickens browned nicely, chuck in some diced garlic/ginger and like, press it up the side of the wok or into the meat so you really infuse that flavour. Lower the heat a bit and add your stir fry veg. Peppers , tenderstem broc tips are good, carrots, whatever. Stir it around in the wok and add soy sauce/fish sauce for colour and flavour. Add the (cooked) noodles and stir it all up again.

Garnish with lime.

Serrveeeeee

ReputationRep:
    It will work for egg noodles or rice noodles. But follow the instructions on the egg noodles incase you have to do anything more.

Pick a meat and then roll it with a rolling pin to get it as flat as possible, then cut into really thin strips (you can buy meats already prepared for stir fry like beef), but if using chicken breast, butterfly it first then roll it and slice it really thin. Season with salt + peppah.

Use a wok, lube it up with a lil bit of sesame oil and then in goes the chicken/beef strips. Get the wok really hot (smoking) before, THEN put the oil in and then the chicken. When the chicken hits the pan it should immediately hiss.

After a few minutes when the chickens browned nicely, chuck in some diced garlic/ginger and like, press it up the side of the wok or into the meat so you really infuse that flavour. Lower the heat a bit and add your stir fry veg. Peppers , tenderstem broc tips are good, carrots, whatever. Stir it around in the wok and add soy sauce/fish sauce for colour and flavour. Add the (cooked) noodles and stir it all up again.

Garnish with lime.

Serrveeeeee

Sounds amazing! I'll let you know how it goes, thank you

ReputationRep:
    This is a great idea. Definitely keep doing this!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of yogurt, you lift don't you Sophie?

Get yourself some Arla Skyr! Low calorie, high protein/low fat Icelandic yogurt. Our asda has just started stocking it and currently doing two for £2 on 450g pots.

Angry Cucumber can vouch for the stuff (?)
    Nope I don't lift.

But I do like yoghurt, I just never buy it for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Chicken Teriyaki with jasmine rice coming up.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and i'll give my kitchen a clean so you guys don't think I'm a dirty cretin.

ReputationRep:
    I've been meaning to get around to creating this thread in a while. I'm a student that loves food. I love to spend money on food, sourcing fresh and interesting ingredients wherever I can to conjure up some tasty dishes. I spend about £50 a week on average on ingredients. Sometimes less, often more. I am firm believer that everybody should take the time to learn how to cook. It's an enjoyable life skill and if you're curious and adventurous, opens you up to new dishes and flavours that you'd otherwise be missing out on.

The purpose of this blog is to document what I cook and hopefully give/receive tips on general cooking and maybe inspire some to learn themselves. I cook a variety of cuisines from all over the world.

I'll also take requests, if you have a dish you particularly enjoy making, post a recipe and I'll give it a go. I'll start off with simpler, easier dishes and then start to showcase some longer, more complicated dishes at the weekend.

TSRians, I present to you...

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King

Dish #1 - Steak Sandwich
    Spoiler:
    Show

The first entry in this blog will be a simple steak sandwich. It's an absolute favourite of mine to make when I'm peckish and is really easy, cheap and quick.

Here are the ingredients

I got a banging deal on a 28 day matured sirloin, it's okay quality. I would of liked to see more marbling but whatever. I've left it out for 20 minutes to reach room temperature. In this time, I've diced the shallots, made a spread out of the mustard and mayo and sliced some sweet pickles which I kept in the fridge.

In the mean time, my pan is heating up nicely. I want it practically smoking hot. Once it's reached the required temp, I season the steak with coarse sea salt and pepper on both sides. (I don't do this earlier because the salt draws out moisture in the meat and makes it a bit wet again - this is not desirable).

In goes on the olive oil, 10 seconds later the steak goes in. I'm immediately greeted with a hiss which is good. I'm aiming for a nice, dark brown sear on the side that's just hit the pan so I don't mess around and move it or anything.

This is where the fun starts.

I slice a whole bulb of garlic in half and whack it in with sprigs of thyme. I don't even bother peeling or crushing the garlic. The party has started! I'm hearing crackling and popping from the frying thyme, I'm picking up that beautiful garlicy smell. I'm supposed to be on a diet, but I think f*** it and add a slice of unsalted butter. It's an absolute riot. The butter immediately melts in the hot pan and there's instant chemistry with the garlic and thyme, they end up in a passionate love making session.

The garlic mounts the thyme and I place the steak on top to cool down from this intense orgy of flavour. I baste the steak with the browned butter (it's releasing all those nutty notes now, which is what I want but I'm careful not to burn the butter so I lift the pan off the heat as I do so). I turn the hob off, but the steak goes back on the heat.

After 2 minutes, the steak comes off and I place on a cooling rack. I wipe the pan clean and quickly fry the shallots without any oil. The bread is sitting on my George Foreman getting nice and crispy (I don't have a toaster).

Everything is ready. We're about to witness the final synergy. I spread the Polish Sourdough (I prefer this to your standard bloomer loaf) with the mayo/mustard and then lay the bottom part with the pickles. On goes the steak, and on top of that goes the shallots.

The Hezzlington Steak Sandwich.

The picture doesn't represent the true colour of the steak/bread. The bread is golden brown on top slightly and the steak is darker and cooked properly, but it's still rare.

I ate this in like 2 mins. So good.

Dish #2 Chicken Tikka Masala

Spoiler:
    Show
    This is a British curry, so please don't question the authenticity as I'm acknowledging here it's British.

Ingredients

It's essential to have your ingredients prepared and everything measured out accordingly.

100g of Tilda Basmati rice
    150g of water.

Guys, it's really simple cooking rice. This works with longrain, jasmine and basmati. Measure out your rice, and however much you use, multiply this amount by 1.5 and that's the amount of ml of water you use. I start by washing the rice in cold water to get rid of any starch, I drain and then place in the pot. I season with salt and add some gently crushed cardamom pods to infuse a bit of flavour into the rice. Then I add the measured out water and turn on the hob, cover and bring to the boil. Once it's at boiling point, I reduce heat to lowest and let simmer for about 7 minutes.

Chopped the onions roughly, peeled and chopped garlic. Chopped chili and removed the seeds as I want this to be mild. Fried in some olive oil and then I added some Lazy Garlic (I couldn't find my garlic press). I add garam masala (sorry guys, I'm feeling lazy so I used store bought stuff I couldn't be bothered to make my own, I promise next time I will), chilli powder, tumeric and a little bit of sugar. I stir, then add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. I reduce the heat as things are spicing up and I start to notice the garlic blackening a bit. You do not want to burn garlic, it's extremely bitter.

I add this to the food processor and blitz into a paste.

I got to try out by new carving knife today. It is SICK. I butterflied and diced the chicken breast to give the illusion of more volume. The smaller cubes also cook quicker. I dabbed the chicken breasts with tissue before dicing as they were slimy and wet - typical of supermarket poultry. I want them to sear and colour nicely and it doesn't help if they're wet with liquid ebola. I season with salt and pepper and into the pan to fry. Once browned, I add the paste, reduce heat and simmer for a bit, then I add some yogurt to reduce the overall heat of the dish. (It was really spicy, I got the chillis from the Halal shop and they were HOT).

Lightly chopped some coriander to garnish.

Up coming dishes

Chicken Teriyaki with veg served with fragrant jasmine rice.

Oxtail with butterbeans and rice

Jerk chicken with rice and peas.

Nasi Goreng is an Indonesian dish and it's REALLY hard to make from scratch. It takes a lot of ingredients and planning so I'll do this some point over the weekend.

Duck with 5spice marinade and spring onion (This one is complicated and very expensive - I've never attempted it so I hope I get it right)

Homemade sausage rolls.

Alcoholic Wine Gums. My friends are coming up to visit and it's her birthday so I'm going to surprise her with these.

Wow that all looks so incredible! Looking forward to seeing your duck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Wow that all looks so incredible! Looking forward to seeing your duck!
    Thanks Queen Cersei,

I think I'll do the duck tonight. It's a tricky one with quite a lot of ingredients so I'll try and get good pictures!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    This is amazing! :drool: I am definitely excited for more! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    My heart says yes but my bank account says no .
    Your food is really impressive!
    How long have you been cooking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelmary97)
    My heart says yes but my bank account says no .
    Your food is really impressive!
    How long have you been cooking?
    I'd say about a year of actually trying to learn how to properly cook.

ReputationRep:
    Chicken Teriyaki with Jasmine rice and Veg

Sorry it's a bit late, should of been done by lunch. I got carried away. I'm off to the gym now and then when I'm back, I'll get started on the duck. That's where the cooking starts.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ingredients

I'd rather use fresh garlic/ginger, but I'm warming up to this Lazy stuff. Especially the ginger, saves a significant amount of time but you pay for it. Jasmine rice i something to be careful with. This Asda Jasmine Rice is 115kcal per 100g. If you use a brand like Royal Umbrella, it's about 335kcal per 100g so it's pretty much triple the amount of calories. Unfortunately, it's triple the amount of taste. It's amazing. Jasmine rice doesn't need much help, a bit of salt and you're good to go. It has so much flavour as far as rice goes and I'd happily eat it 'plain'.

Instead of teaching you how to suck eggs, I will teach you how to cut a pepper. People STILL don't know how to cut peppers. I watch my housemates rip off the top, seeds going everywhere and it's just a nightmare. Cut the stalk off, flip the pepper upside down with the bit where the stalk was facing down on the chopping board, then just slice the sides following the geometry of the pepper (as in don't cut into the seeds). You should be left with a pepper core and all the flesh comes off.

Lay the flesh skin side up and slice. Simple. No mess.

Mix the soy sauce, mirin, diced garlic and ginger together to form the teriyaki marinade. The Japanese usually use fish or beef I believe, it's more of a Western thing to use chicken. Coat your meat (if salmon or beef, leaving it overnight will permeate the meat better and give more flavour. Since I'm using chicken breast...well...there's only so much flavour you can get out of breast so I just marinade and leave for about 5 minutes) Salt and pepper. I'd usually add honey, but this is a very macro conscious dish for me and it's a staple of mine, so I don't add it in this time. I also rather grill the chicken than stir fry it in a wok, but I forgot what I was doing and I cut the chicken pieces really badly and they weren't really big enough to grill properly.

I really wanted to show you guys my massive c.....wok. But it got hot real quick and I had to keep on stir frying and couldn't reach for my camera. I add the peppers (I would normally dice the peppers, couldn't be bothered today) and spring onion. Lower the heat as well. Keep stirring. It finishes about the same time as the rice so just...serve.

Yes. Yes I did try to make a smiley face.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.