Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government spends £9.3m of YOUR money on EU Propaganda leaflets Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    very insignificant when you consider we give them 350 million a day yes
    I think you meant 35 million. Yes, i agree that as a net contributor to the EU we are paying far too much, but Cameron has promised to negotiate the terms of the deal.
    persuasive therefore unfair on the leave campaign it makes a mockery of the whole referendum
    I think any political party, regardless of whether they are in power or not, should be allowed to persuade others. An active campaign to promote a view should certainly be allowed, just like it would happen in an election. It is only an issue if they were spreading lies, which isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    the cost of untangling a Brexit Britain from decades of EU partnership will be in the £100s of millions. the government is being sensible in spending a few £million to prevent this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Youngmetro)
    I think you meant 35 million. Yes, i agree that as a net contributor to the EU we are paying far too much, but Cameron has promised to negotiate the terms of the deal.

I think any political party, regardless of whether they are in power or not, should be allowed to persuade others. An active campaign to promote a view should certainly be allowed, just like it would happen in an election. It is only an issue if they were spreading lies, which isn't the case.
    I suggest you get your calculator out and remind me what £18bn\52 is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by the bear)
    the cost of untangling a Brexit Britain from decades of EU partnership will be in the £100s of millions. the government is being sensible in spending a few £million to prevent this.
    A preventative measure that will likely lead to the issue not going away, a possible push closer to exit, and a surge in UKIP support if we stay as people feel cheated, very smart, eh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    Sorry but it doesn't matter what your view point is, its a corrupt policy that goes against the very essence of free democracy we have in this country. If you think the government should fund such one sided propaganda then go to China or most of the Middle East.

I wouldn't mind a leaflet that set out the arguments for and against, then people can decide, otherwise it should be illegal and I hope someone takes them, to court over this. It actually impacts the entire legitimacy of the referendum and now if we do vote to remain expect even larger uproar and likely investigation into fixing.
    You have a very naive view of what a dictatorship is. In China the government decides what you believe and punishes you if you disagree. They don't send out some leaflets telling you the facts and hope that you happen to agree with them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    You have a very naive view of what a dictatorship is. In China the government decides what you believe and punishes you if you disagree. They don't send out some leaflets telling you the facts and hope that you happen to agree with them.
    Pretty sure the way the Chinese work is to put forwards vetted facts that tell the side of the story that the government want you to hear, I await the arrival of the propaganda, but I somehow doubt it will touch on much that would push people towards exit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    absoutely disgusting. so much for a fair and neutral referendum process. and whats even more hillarious is that the government tried to take it further last year, relaxing the rules prohibit campaigning 28 days before the referendum date, and only stopped because of divisions in Parliament.

the only situation in which such a leaflet would be fine is if it was produced by an independent, neutral body, but the government would never finance that. its all about scaremongering people into thinking that leaving the EU will be some sort of an economic apocalypse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Gievn that staying could lead to a massive recession and economic uncertainty for the next 40 gears.

The suggestion that there is certainty in staying is as ludicrous as certainty in leaving, the only certainties are vague and uninformative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok 40 years is an exaggeration, but there will be economic uncertainty for the next 10 years. When major economists and studies all suggest that there will be economic consequences, it shouldn't really be taken with a pinch of salt.

What do you think is uncertain about staying? The only one i can come up with is whether Cameron can successfully negotiate the terms of the deal.

(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Total conjecture and blatantly missing the point and principle

Its called democracy but i guess a pro EU fool wouldnt care much for that
    For the older generation like you, sovereignty seems to be the only reason for leaving. Don't bring your emotions into this because it is ultimately regressive to the argument, much like how simple minded people like you can vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Never mentioned the word dictatorship, and in your deluded eyes it may seem like fact but actually it isn't and its up to people to decide on that not you. Its the step in the wrong direction and if you can't see that I think everyone knows who the naive one is.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you get your calculator out and remind me what £18bn\52 is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We paid 12.9bn last year. And you divide it by 365 to find out how much we pay a day.

Don't try and act smart fool..

ReputationRep:

no if you are gonna have a referendum there has to be fairness otherwise it kind of becomes pointless. The parties have already established the money that can be spent on the referendum. They have come up with this before the rules kick in as a way of gaining an unfair unvantage.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ok 40 years is an exaggeration, but there will be economic uncertainty for the next 10 years. When major economists and studies all suggest that there will be economic consequences, it shouldn't really be taken with a pinch of salt.

What do you think is uncertain about staying? The only one i can come up with is whether Cameron can successfully negotiate the terms of the deal.

For the older generation like you, sovereignty seems to be the only reason for leaving. Don't bring your emotions into this because it is ultimately regressive to the argument, much like how simple minded people like you can vote.
    Care to tell me what the legislative agenda for the next 6 months is for the EU, let alone the next 10 years? What's the future of the Dublin Agreements, they're now in question? How is the EU going to grow over the next 10 years, especially with nations like Turkey being fast tracked? What's going to happen with Greece over the next 10 years? Are we going to continue to be protected from bailing out Greece? Is the Eurozone going to sort out its low growth high unemployment problem any time soon? What treaty changes are to be proposed?

Oh, and you do realise the deal has already been negotiated and took the form "we promise for now to keep things as they were before?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Care to tell me what the legislative agenda for the next 6 months is for the EU, let alone the next 10 years? What's the future of the Dublin Agreements, they're now in question? How is the EU going to grow over the next 10 years, especially with nations like Turkey being fast tracked? What's going to happen with Greece over the next 10 years? Are we going to continue to be protected from bailing out Greece? Is the Eurozone going to sort out its low growth high unemployment problem any time soon? What treaty changes are to be proposed?

Oh, and you do realise the deal has already been negotiated and took the form "we promise for now to keep things as they were before?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    tl;dr

And fix your maths before interacting with me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We paid 12.9bn last year. And you divide it by 365 to find out how much we pay a day.

Don't try and act smart fool..
    My mistake, normally it's a weekly quote rather than daily

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no if you are gonna have a referendum there has to be fairness otherwise it kind of becomes pointless. The parties have already established the money that can be spent on the referendum. They have come up with this before the rules kick in as a way of gaining an unfair unvantage.
    I can see what you think but the leaflet in question doesn't seem particularly exaggerated or filled with lies. The problem is that tabloids have unlimited power to say whatever rubbish they want. Any referendum like this will ultimately be distorted in such a way. I do however see the issue with the tories overspending like this.

ReputationRep:
    My mistake, normally it's a weekly quote rather than daily

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't understand why you posed that many questions to me, i really am not bothered to read and answer them all. Yes, to a certain extent staying in the EU has its uncertainties but not to the extent to which the leaving the EU has.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I strongly support staying in the EU but I'm not sure if this expense is justified (not that it's a significant expense in the slightest compared to some of the things this government has wasted money on).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't understand why you posed that many questions to me, i really am not bothered to read and answer them all. Yes, to a certain extent staying in the EU has its uncertainties but not to the extent to which the leaving the EU has.
    There were, what, half a dozen questions, the incredibly obvious uncertainties we have in staying and remaining tied to the system, but come on, do you know the legislative agenda for the next 6 months?

I know that coming up we have absolutely absurd proposals to reduce the wattage on kettles for no sound reason and a rather large social bill that was held back about a year due to the referendum given it would be brought up and u popular in Britain; I imagine there will be stuff being put before the parliament for the third or fourth time with the commission saying "now get it right this time", happened a few weeks ago actually to the detriment of British ports because they're so different to the European mega ports the legislation was tackling, not a nice vote to watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There were, what, half a dozen questions, the incredibly obvious uncertainties we have in staying and remaining tied to the system, but come on, do you know the legislative agenda for the next 6 months?

I know that coming up we have absolutely absurd proposals to reduce the wattage on kettles for no sound reason and a rather large social bill that was held back about a year due to the referendum given it would be brought up and u popular in Britain; I imagine there will be stuff being put before the parliament for the third or fourth time with the commission saying "now get it right this time", happened a few weeks ago actually to the detriment of British ports because they're so different to the European mega ports the legislation was tackling, not a nice vote to watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see it all as an escalation of the protectionist policy and attitude the EU has, closing us off from the rest of the world with mainly eastern european countries seeing the benefits, hence why Poland has been so hostile towards Cameron's proposal.

Things like stricter regulations seem to me like passive hostility towards countries outside of the EU, since many other regulations such as Carbon trading seem to be ineffective.

Ultimately Cameron is trying to negotiate our membership and hopefully get the best deal. The likelihood of this is the game changer in this whole debate.

ReputationRep:

Older generation? I am young kid, just not naive and ignorant

No its not sovereignity, its democracy.

Why should citizens be governed by people they did not choose, can not change and can not remove from power?

Are you insane?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.