Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomuser12343)
    What actually are seismic processes though? Do you have any examples?
    For seismic processes the best examples are the East African Rift Valley and the San Andreas Fault which both have distinctive landscapes. The seismic processes are what produce the landforms and the landscapes.

So you would talk about compression ridges, fault scarp, rifting etc. for seismic processes and landscapes. But then go on to discuss volcanic processes and landscapes as an evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGB2016)
    Our teacher has tried to give us different questions just in case, but she agrees it's likely to be similar to 2011. The only other questions she gave us were:

'Distinctive landscapes are only found at plate boundaries.' Discuss.

To what extent do seismic processes contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes?

Hope that helps
    How wold you answer those though?

ReputationRep:
    How would I add the role of hotspots into my report? are hotspots 'non-tectonic activity'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbbbbf)
    How wold you answer those though?
    For the first one, possibly approach it by plate boundary types so destructive EG Himalayas or island arcs, constructive EG East Africa or Mid Atlantic and conservative EG San Andreas. Briefly talk about each one and discuss the landforms that occur there. Maybe bring hotspots into it at the end such as Hawaii to show that distinctive landscapes also occur off of plate boundaries.

For the second one talk about regions that have seismic processes such as San Andreas or East Africa. But then also discuss areas with volcanic processes to show that both contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes.

I don't know if this is right, but it's probably how I'd answer them.

ReputationRep:
    For the first one, possibly approach it by plate boundary types so destructive EG Himalayas or island arcs, constructive EG East Africa or Mid Atlantic and conservative EG San Andreas. Briefly talk about each one and discuss the landforms that occur there. Maybe bring hotspots into it at the end such as Hawaii to show that distinctive landscapes also occur off of plate boundaries.

For the second one talk about regions that have seismic processes such as San Andreas or East Africa. But then also discuss areas with volcanic processes to show that both contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes.

I don't know if this is right, but it's probably how I'd answer them.
    Thank you! For a plate margin one though, what plate margins do intrusive landforms occur at? Can't find an answer anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    this should cover the majority of your analysis yes, however the mark scheme for analysis does accredit marks in the top mark section for "appreciation of different perspectives about the question" so you could briefly draw up on how there may be other factors effecting the landscape more.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! For a plate margin one though, what plate margins do intrusive landforms occur at? Can't find an answer anywhere!
    Intrusive landforms are generally at destructive margins.

ReputationRep:
    What about doing it by type of activity? and including case studies for each type?

Landscapes formed by extrusive igneous activity, e.g. lava plateau, composite volcanoes, shield volcanoes, caldera volcanoes, fissures

Landscapes formed by intrusive igneous activity, e.g. batholiths, sills, dykes

Landscapes formed by seismic activity, e.g. faults, rift valleys, fold mountains
    I write it Like that! I feel it gives more structure like a report which the examiners like. So make sure when you do it like that do it as headings

ReputationRep:
    Best to use hotspots as an evaluation point especially in the conclusion. Will help you obtain the higher marks.

ReputationRep:
    For seismic processes the best examples are the East African Rift Valley and the San Andreas Fault which both have distinctive landscapes. The seismic processes are what produce the landforms and the landscapes.

So you would talk about compression ridges, fault scarp, rifting etc. for seismic processes and landscapes. But then go on to discuss volcanic processes and landscapes as an evaluation.
    Thanks this helps, but also what actually are seismic processes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ula456)
    Can someone please help me with definitions?
    I have tectonic processes as the rock forming processes and resulting structures that occur over large sections of the lithosphere.
    How do I define seismic and volcanic processes?
    Also do the definitions go in the introduction?
    I got the dictionary definitions:
    Tectonic are relating to plates
    Seismic are relating to earthquakes
    Volcanic relates to volcanoes

ReputationRep:
    are you allowed to write the same essay as someone else, if you wrote it together, or is that not allowed/ would you get a low grade??

ReputationRep:
    We were told by teachers to either do it by location or by case study, either way evaluating each point made should get you into top marks?So I've structured mine like this:Intro, methodology, EXTRUSIVE ACTIVITY, VOLCANOES with subheadings Fissure, strato, shield and volcanic arcs and then i move onto INTRUSIVE IGNEOUS ACTIVITY with subheading sills, dykes and batholiths and then finally i do SEISMIC ACTIVITY with the subheadings fold mountains, displacement and EAR. Whilst doing this i compare each one to each other through out, and then in the conclusion i compare them all as a whole whilst stating that there are other contributions to the distinctively landscapes and forms. A range of diagrams are also used through out, I chose to do it by case study as i found it easier to make evaluative points while referring directly back to each type of landscape and the landforms within it. I don't know where to mention location in the conclusion just to help summarise where the most distintive landscapes and forms are concentrated around the world???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raisa97)
    I write it Like that! I feel it gives more structure like a report which the examiners like. So make sure when you do it like that do it as headings
    I write it like that too, totally agree with you. And then with sections like 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 for each section in the analysis.

ReputationRep:
    guys i have a quick question.

last time landscape question came up, it was 52 marks for an A
    so would it be similar this year because landscapes is probably the hardest section to write about.
    with others like human impacts and what not, 55 for A is understandable because there is lot to talk about.
    i got mine back and i got 55/70 so I'm worried as i really need an A in this.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, has anyone referred to the Collards model? if so how and where did you include it??

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to say why we have chosen the case studies? If so where in the intro or Methodology?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else going to memories a report? Based on the other question that was similar Or is that a bad idea because atm that's all I've been doing😕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riab8)
    We were told by teachers to either do it by location or by case study, either way evaluating each point made should get you into top marks?So I've structured mine like this:Intro, methodology, EXTRUSIVE ACTIVITY, VOLCANOES with subheadings Fissure, strato, shield and volcanic arcs and then i move onto INTRUSIVE IGNEOUS ACTIVITY with subheading sills, dykes and batholiths and then finally i do SEISMIC ACTIVITY with the subheadings fold mountains, displacement and EAR. Whilst doing this i compare each one to each other through out, and then in the conclusion i compare them all as a whole whilst stating that there are other contributions to the distinctively landscapes and forms. A range of diagrams are also used through out, I chose to do it by case study as i found it easier to make evaluative points while referring directly back to each type of landscape and the landforms within it. I don't know where to mention location in the conclusion just to help summarise where the most distintive landscapes and forms are concentrated around the world???
    How do you evaluate it?? What the landforms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tdkh98)
    I can send you a draft I have written if that would help you with structure case studies etc ...
    Hi, can you send me a draft copy please.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.