The Student Room Group

Would you cheat on your uni exams to get a 1st, if you knew you wouldn't get caught?

Scroll to see replies

Yes i would. In general i dont condone cheating but i think pretty much everything i have learnt at uni is pointless other than to get me a job at the end, so why not skip the "having to memorise useless information to regurgitate in an exam" part.
It shouldn't even be the guilt that stops you, it should be basic integrity to want to feel proud of your grade. If you cheat, it'll linger on your mind that it isn't an accurate representation of your skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LiquidGold
Yes i would. In general i dont condone cheating but i think pretty much everything i have learnt at uni is pointless other than to get me a job at the end, so why not skip the "having to memorise useless information to regurgitate in an exam" part.

I think this feeling probably accounts for most of the yes votes :frown: Shame so many people feel that way
Original post by LiquidGold

Is this 'pointless' stuff not required to show a deeper understanding for the subject? I guess a lot of stuff which is learnt in universities is not relevant for the job later on.
Reply 64
Of course and would feel great knowing I got away with it
I've been thinking about this and there's a serious point here - a LOT of students don't know how to improve their marks to get a first (or to get a 2i if they're getting 2iis etc).

Feedback at university often doesn't give practical advice on how to improve and tends to come in too late to be much use.

Add in that a lot of universities are CRAP at making it clear what a specific mark looks like before you produce work and it means that a good number of students end up working incredibly HARD without any visible impact on their marks.

A genie who could take your work away and rejig it to show specifically what changes would lead to a first would be invaluable in helping university students improve.

Or failing that universities getting more transparent in making previously submitted and marked work available to future years to help make the distinctions between grades clearer would be a massive help.
Original post by PQ
Or failing that universities getting more transparent in making previously submitted and marked work available to future years to help make the distinctions between grades clearer would be a massive help.

We should start a TSR essay bank to show examples of different classes of essays, like the PS library :beard:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
We should start a TSR essay bank to show examples of different classes of essays, like the PS library :beard:

back in the days of coursework.info that sort of existed :ninjagirl: I don't know what happened to all those essays....
No, as even if I passed I'd be found out on the job immediately and I'd be putting patients at risk.
I probably would. I know I'm perfectly capable of getting a first anyway, but this way would just save me a lot of last-minute cramming.

I wouldn't do it if it'd mean I end up with a degree in some subject that I know nothing about though. There'd be no point in that, the degree is just a piece of paper then.
Cheats never prosper.
Well I cheated on all my coursework throughout my education, so yes. I don't understand how you guys would feel guilty?!
Reply 73
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Let's say you find a magic genie who whispers you the answers and there's no way for anyone to find out.

Would you give in to the temptation?

If its on a subject I good on and I revise hard for it then no.
If its on a subject I know I'm going to fail in then
yes
Why not, 9k a year isn't free uno
yeah I would and I doubt I'd feel much guilt...

what is there to feel guilty about?

Quick Reply

Latest