Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does owning less stuff= less stress? Watch

• View Poll Results: Less stuff= less stress?
    Agree
    55.56%
    Disagree
    34.44%
    Not sure
    10.00%

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Implement a one book bought, one book out system problem solved:P I got rid of all my books upon starting uni and recently got rid of every textbook I had and now I have a lovely empty shelf
    But my amazing collection! :zomg: I'm not sure that system would work for me. :no: I've compromised so far by getting a Kindle and large hard disk for ebook storage. :giggle:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    I don't know if simply owning less things means less stress, rather than the reduced desire for and dependency on things. The two are linked, but getting rid of things and then wishing you still had them will not reduce your stress levels!

Having said that, there is this recent movement of limiting the things you own to 100 things (started by this guy http://guynameddave.com/about-the-100-thing-challenge/), and maybe he has a point about owning less things leading to you having more time to develop better relationships with others and with yourself. You still have to go into it willingly and open-mindedly though.

Attachment/craving is the cause of all suffering.
    As of yet I m not missing anything that I've gotten rid of and I m hopeful that I can keep it that way and gradually get rid of more of my possessions. Reducing to 100 possessions could be a step too far currently although i ve never counted how much I actually own but know its much more on that, i think maybe 150 could be doable if I was to literally include everything i own.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    But my amazing collection! :zomg: I'm not sure that system would work for me. :no: I've compromised so far by getting a Kindle and large hard disk for ebook storage. :giggle:
    Ebooks are a good compromise, would you say everything in your collection you definitely want to read again?

ReputationRep:
    Interested to see what peoples opinions are. I've been finding getting rid of stuff the past few weeks to be quite therapeutic and hopefully will mean less cleaning eventually.
    I agree!

ReputationRep:
    As of yet I m not missing anything that I've gotten rid of and I m hopeful that I can keep it that way and gradually get rid of more of my possessions. Reducing to 100 possessions could be a step too far currently although i ve never counted how much I actually own but know its much more on that, i think maybe 150 could be doable if I was to literally include everything i own.
    Yeah I personally don't think the number itself is important. As long as you're reducing your reliance on and craving for material possessions, that's a good thing for your well being, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a massive clear out of unwanted clothes/things.

I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Ebooks are a good compromise, would you say everything in your collection you definitely want to read again?
    I would rather have a physical book than an ebook. Especially since I want my house to have a large library
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Yeah I personally don't think the number itself is important. As long as you're reducing your reliance on and craving for material possessions, that's a good thing for your well being, in my opinion.
    I definitely have a reduced craving for buying things at the moment and am enjoying the process of sorting through all of my possessions
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I would rather have a physical book than an ebook. Especially since I want my house to have a large library
    I d like to have a collection of books for my kids but for me i find e books much more accessible and dont really read fiction much anymore.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    :hmmmm2: It's always nice having the option.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I d like to have a collection of books for my kids but for me i find e books much more accessible and dont really read fiction much anymore.
    I see my library as being several hundred square metres and 2 storeys. Bottom story is non-fiction, while the top is fiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    no because if u have less stuff, u may feel sad or stressed that you dont have stuff that you want
    Presupposes you want more things.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thefatone)
    just like saying if i eat less i will lose lots of weight, which isn't necessarily true
    Not lots, but if you eat less than your body needs then yes you will lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Not lots, but if you eat less than your body needs then yes you will lose weight.
    exactly this is the requirement needing to be met for you to lose weight
    only then will the statement if i eat less then i'll lose weight be true

ReputationRep:
    Interested to see what peoples opinions are. I've been finding getting rid of stuff the past few weeks to be quite therapeutic and hopefully will mean less cleaning eventually.
    I have way too much stuff in the house, but it doesn't stress me out because I don't spend much time at home to notice it as a problem let alone start organising or cleaning.

At work I do like to keep a minimalist office and throw out everything that isn't nailed down though.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I have way too much stuff in the house, but it doesn't stress me out because I don't spend much time at home to notice it as a problem let alone start organising or cleaning.

At work I do like to keep a minimalist office and throw out everything that isn't nailed down though.
    Do you think if you spent more time it would? Our office space is something that needs working on, 3 pen pots is probably excessive

ReputationRep:
    Do you think if you spent more time it would? Our office space is something that needs working on, 3 pen pots is probably excessive
    Yeah if I was looking at the stuff all the time it'd probably bother me more, but I'm pretty chilled out at home generally. It's when I'm out the house everything has to be in just the right place. I don't know why.

One pen pot will do fine

ReputationRep:
    Getting rid of stuff is really hard, but living with less is great! I'm looking forward to uni as a way of doing that. Get rid of clothes you don't wear whenever you bring something new into your home. There's nothing wrong with having a lot of books, but try going to a library in the future to save money and prevent you from getting more stuff that will gather dust. It's not that you can't have anything, but clutter is stressful! You've got to clean and all of that.

I don't really like the KonMari method. My method is this - get rid of stuff at your own pace, but only bring something into the home if it'll bring you joy.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Yeah if I was looking at the stuff all the time it'd probably bother me more, but I'm pretty chilled out at home generally. It's when I'm out the house everything has to be in just the right place. I don't know why.

One pen pot will do fine
    I ll bin the pen pots

ReputationRep:
    I would say yes that owning less stuff is less stressful. I have quite a bit of stuff that I am in two minds about, part of me wants to keep it as it could be useful and could pass it on to kids in the future the other part of me wants to get rid of a fair bit of it but the only thing is I need someone to help me be able to say yep get rid of it. For some of the stuff I never use so I am partly wanting a family member to just come in and I tell them that is the stuff not sure about take away or keep it here but if take it don't let me know/see as something in my mind will be happier than me just doing it as I will regret getting rid of it

I would really like to be minimalistic and that is my aim and to maybe become more occ with cleaning but not extreme occ

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.