Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you used modafinil or other study drugs? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever used study drugs?
    Yes
    12.44%
    No
    87.56%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Yeah i was aware of that even though we were talking about Adrafinil which is legal and a milder version of Modafinil so possibly less harmful
    Great I just didn't want anyone reading to think "I have ADD so it must be safe for me to use" or something like that.

I think Adrafinil has been discontinued now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Drugs licensed for medical use have a medical benefit that outweighs the risks - otherwise they wouldn't be licensed.

Pharmaceutical companies need to show that their drugs a) have a therapeutic benefit that outweighs the risks (better than other drugs already on the market I believe) and b) work better than placebo in order for their medicine to be licensed.

E.g., chemotherapy has some very horrible side effects but it's worth the risk if you have been diagnosed with cancer, which is why it's available for treatment.
    There are a few illegal drugs which have medical benefits which far outweigh the negatives such as cannabis but are still illegal. This is what happens when drug policy is dictated by politicians and not medical professionals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    There are a few illegal drugs which have medical benefits which far outweigh the negatives such as cannabis but are still illegal. This is what happens when drug policy is dictated by politicians and not medical professionals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Weren't we having this discussion on another thread recently? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    edit: see above post by Puddles

edit edit: grrrr

edit edit edit: :unimpressed: this shocks me tbh.
    You and me both!

It blows my mind that so many students are doing this these days.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skye.)
    You and me both!

It blows my mind that so many students are doing this these days.
    My edits just made me burst out laughing :toofunny:

But, no — seriously! It's not good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    Do you get flushes (face/hands turning red) at all? Is there a way to tell if someone is on them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't no.

I get (and so does my dad who takes it for adult ADHD) quite speedy constantly doing something and not stopping to eat for hours at a time (makes you lose any appetite for the 3-4 hours it lasts)

ReputationRep:
    Weren't we having this discussion on another thread recently? :beard:
    More than likely.

My short term memory isn't very good thanks to prescription drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Yeah. I would never recommend taking them. But this newspaper is interested in people who have.
    Do you recommend never taking them because of a collective attitude among woolly-jumper, tortoise-shell glasses-wearing Brighton lefties that pills are evil or because you have good reason to believe they do more harm than good?

ReputationRep:
    Drugs licensed for medical use have a medical benefit that outweighs the risks - otherwise they wouldn't be licensed.

Pharmaceutical companies need to show that their drugs a) have a therapeutic benefit that outweighs the risks (better than other drugs already on the market I believe) and b) work better than placebo in order for their medicine to be licensed.

E.g., chemotherapy has some very horrible side effects but it's worth the risk if you have been diagnosed with cancer, which is why it's available for treatment.
    And some meds are relatively safe if you have the condition they treat but are dangerous if you don't have it.

ReputationRep:
    I have a paracetamol works wonders when i have a headache

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    Do you recommend never taking them because of a collective attitude among woolly-jumper, tortoise-shell glasses-wearing Brighton lefties that pills are evil or because you have good reason to believe they do more harm than good?
    It's entirely possible to be against people using prescription medicines (especially for unreliable sources) when they don't have the condition that those medicines treat without be against medications.

ReputationRep:
    :toofunny:

this is SO spot on, you got my respect mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    It's entirely possible to be against people using prescription medicines (especially for unreliable sources) when they don't have the condition that those medicines treat without be against medications.
    A prescription medication is ordinarily prescribed by a doctor. It is therefore a bit redundant to point out that people taking prescription medication for an illness they don't have is not a good idea. The post I responded to recommended 'never' taking them so your contribution is basically totally useless.

ReputationRep:
    Much worse than caffeine pills. Modafinil is now only licensed in the UK to treat narcolepsy as it can have serious side effects. From the summary of product characteristics:

It should only be taken under medical supervision and prescribed by a doctor.
    Stevens-Johnson Syndrome is incredibly rare and can result from a huge range of common medications, including ibuprofen and penicillin. As far as study drugs go, modafinil is one of the safer ones.

ReputationRep:
    A prescription medication is ordinarily prescribed by a doctor. It is therefore a bit redundant to point out that people taking prescription medication for an illness they don't have is not a good idea. The post I responded to recommended 'never' taking them so your contribution is basically totally useless.
    Then would you agree that's a real reason to recommend people not use prescription meds without a prescription?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    As far as study drugs go, modafinil is one of the safer ones.
    Don't they all cause psychosis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRUsername99)
    Do they? I've never heard of modafinil doing that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRUsername99)
    As a dopamine stimulant they don't help it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Then would you agree that's a real reason to recommend people not use prescription meds without a prescription?
    The post I responded to didn't recommend never taking meds for a condition you don't have from some dodgy dealer at the top of a Tower Hamlets council flat. This is obvious and doesn't need to be clarified

It recommended 'never' taking them
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Stevens-Johnson Syndrome is incredibly rare and can result from a huge range of common medications, including ibuprofen and penicillin. As far as study drugs go, modafinil is one of the safer ones.
    Safer compared to which other drugs?

Some more info about SJS/TEN and modafinil:
    In clinical trials of modafinil, the incidence of rash resulting in discontinuation was approximately 0.8% (13 per 1,585) in pediatric patients (age < 17 years); these rashes included 1 case of possible Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS) and 1 case of apparent multi-organ hypersensitivity reaction. Several of the cases were associated with fever and other abnormalities (e.g., vomiting, leukopenia). The median time to rash that resulted in discontinuation was 13 days. No such cases were observed among 380 pediatric patients who received placebo. No serious skin rashes have been reported in adult clinical trials (0 per 4,264) of modafinil.

Rare cases of serious or life-threatening rash, including SJS, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN), and Drug Rash with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms (DRESS) have been reported in adults and children in worldwide post-marketing experience. The reporting rate of TEN and SJS associated with modafinil use, which is generally accepted to be an underestimate due to underreporting, exceeds the background incidence rate. Estimates of the background incidence rate for these serious skin reactions in the general population range between 1 to 2 cases per million-person years.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.