The Student Room Group

Tired of revision? Can't focus? Need more energy? Try this...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by NiamhM1801
I feel like this would work (for me at least).
I kind of already do it unintentionally...I tend not to eat after about 8pm most days, and I can't eat in the mornings (it makes me feel physically sick). I usually first eat between 11 and 11:30am.
However, I don't drink coffee (simply don't like the taste), and try to avoid energy drinks as I have quite a fast resting heart rate anyway and don't want to cause any problems - so I'd probably just use water. I'd also push back breakfast an hour or so - as I'm willing to try this out.

I currently actually find that I concentrate better in the mornings, one reason is probably what you've mentioned, but also food is a huge distraction for me. When I take a break, I never want to go back to revising. But I'll probably give this a shot, as to be honest at this point I can't lose :tongue:

I can totally relate to everything you've said, bar the fast heart rate part as mine is around 60BPM and also the fact that I love coffee. Sounds like it would be ideal for you.

You don't need the coffee, I just like that 'something' in the morning to get me going and it really does the trick. Once I'm going in the morning my concentration levels are second to none.
Original post by .JC.
Indeed, that sounds like a good idea. There is no risk as long as you ensure that you eat enough calories in your eating window. Lots of people start out fasting for less time, and after a few weeks they increase the fast little by little.

Some people opt to do an eating window that is only a few hours long, but for me that doesn't make it enjoyable or sustainable. What I'm doing works for me, and that's all that is important.

Yep, I just have to allow my body to adjust to the routine and then I'll gradually be able to (hopefully) eat larger meals and make the eating window a little smaller. Is this routine permanent for you or do you just do this during exam season?
Original post by iEthan
Funnily enough, having been really ill all last week and being unable to eat for a considerable amount of time and still having to revise… you could say that I have unintentionally tried this. It didn't help!!!!!!! :smile:

Again. I'd advise against this. Totally and utterly.

You do realise that being 'really ill' would have influenced your experience?

I agree with OP. Unlike the naysayers in this thread, I've actually tried this approach and I have to say that IF is legit. It's not 'starving yourself' as others have said, what an utter load of nonsense. You're eating the same amount of food, just during a shorter window of time. Your body adapts to the new setup quickly.

I myself would be doing IF right now if I didn't perform better in the gym with something in my stomach.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by .JC.
I did not suggest having a lack of food at all. Not having breakfast is not a lack of food.

Uh, yes it is though.

Original post by .JC.

I never said don't eat lunch, or even eat that late. I said specifically that I eat for the first time around lunch time, meaning I'm only 'missing' breakfast, and I ensure I get sufficient calories in throughout the period where I am eating. All I said is push back your first meal/don't eat as early in the day.

I know. I clearly stated it was an example and I was making a point from what you said previously. Nothing to do with whether you actually participate in that sort of schedule or not.

Original post by .JC.

Several cups of coffee is just a few hundred milligrams of caffeine, which is a healthy amount. Also, the several was actually meant to be a bit of a joke as I know how much people love their coffee. I usually have one cup first thing, and then one a couple of hours later. I have no negative effects doing this so I'd say I'm pretty sure that I'm using it effectively.

It's not just a few hundred milligrams bc it can have bad effects. I simply don't believe it's a good idea.

Original post by .JC.

Procrastination, drinking, eating crappy junk food, playing games, spending time on here, etc. There's many more things I've missed out. This isn't what my OP was about but some of these are more harmful than what you're suggesting IF is.

Okay so why exactly are we mentioning it?

Original post by .JC.

No, it's about a good experience I have had with intermittent fasting that I wanted to share in order to help other people out. All they have to do it try it; it's not going to do any harm. If they find it works, great! If not, they don't have to do it. I don't see any problem here.

I don't see any problem here either. I just commented on the thread in response to your title/OP.

Original post by .JC.

Then maybe you should stop quoting every other sentence of mine.

Maybe.

Original post by .JC.
That's why most people nowadays are overweight, they eat whenever they think they are hungry, or even when not.

You didn't say those who are overweight though, you said "anyone" who thinks they're hungry. Eating whenever you like is great provided that you're not harming yourself by doing so. Why you would choose to substitute that for glasses of water is beyond me.

Original post by Angry cucumber
It's something to try. It works for people, some do a 10hr, some 8 and some hour window. It does no harm and can benefit, it's not like OP is recommending not eating for the entire day. Something to try. Just because it's not what everyone else is doing, it doesn't mean it's dangerous

I don't think it is something to "try" at all. It may benefit some people, but I think it does more harm than good. I didn't say that it's harmful bc it isn't mainstream. Weird study techniques are fine, that's got nothing to do with it. It's what the process entails that I don't agree with.

Original post by Legendary Quest
Fasting really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. He is not suggesting that you starve yourself. He is merely saying that you rearrange your eating schedule so you don't eat in the morning. This is a technique that many people have used for a very long time and has worked for them. I am not going to say it will work for everyone because I don't know that. But don't just dismiss it because you think it's harmful. It really isn't. OP probably eats just as much as you but at slightly different times. :smile:

Meh.

I am dismissing it precisely on the basis that I think it's harmful, yes. Why would I try out something that I think would have a negative impact on me. If you saw a car travelling fast on a busy road that you wanted to cross, would you run to the other side in the hope that you'd get there bc some people have made it in the past and it has "worked for them"? Despite the fact you're aware it's dangerous?

Okay, I don't see how any of that ties into the post you just quoted though. :'3
Reply 64
Original post by undercxver
I had so much hope whilst clicking on this thread. :emo:

I fasted during my exams last year (including revision time and throughout the actual exam). Never again. :no:

Food is life. Life is food.

Haha well I'd just say that if you didn't do it the way I'm suggesting, I'd give it a go, although maybe not in the actual exam.

Yep, I just have to allow my body to adjust to the routine and then I'll gradually be able to (hopefully) eat larger meals and make the eating window a little smaller. Is this routine permanent for you or do you just do this during exam season?

Yeah, small meals will work perfectly fine too, I just find that if I eat smaller meals I get more distracted, don't feel as satiated and can tend to eat more crap.

As I'm an avid gym goer, I tend to have a period of months where I eat in a caloric surplus in order to gain muscle. In the period you do gain a bit of fat. I then have a period where I cut down and eat in a deficit. In this period is when I do IF. It's ideal as I would otherwise not be able to eat such a number of calories, since breakfast would take up a considerable amount and leave me hungry all morning.

So to answer the question, its sort of both, it's just usually for the summer that I cut down so it tends to fall that I do this throughout exam season anyway.

I may try it as a more permanent thing all year round, but IF isn't ideal for gaining weight, though it can help you to prevent fat gain whilst bulking up and building muscle.
Original post by .JC.
I can totally relate to everything you've said, bar the fast heart rate part as mine is around 60BPM and also the fact that I love coffee. Sounds like it would be ideal for you.

You don't need the coffee, I just like that 'something' in the morning to get me going and it really does the trick. Once I'm going in the morning my concentration levels are second to none.

Ah...mine averages at between 95 and 105 BPM :s-smilie: not good
And that's good to hear!

Yeah, to be honest water does energise me! And it also works as an appetite suppressant (as you've previously mentioned) so it should help with that too. I do think I need to improve my diet though, as it currently consists of a LOT of processed food...
Original post by .JC.
Haha well I'd just say that if you didn't do it the way I'm suggesting, I'd give it a go, although maybe not in the actual exam.

Even during revision I don't think it's good. When me and my friends revise we snack on something ever half an hour or so.

If you're hungry you'll only think about food and what you're studying wouldn't sink in.

And dehydration... I won't even get started in that. :sigh:
Reply 67
Original post by .JC.
Well I'd advise you research it a little before you make a comment like that. It's not starving yourself at all.

How is it absolutely ages? It's not eating in the evening, which is a bad habit anyway. When you eat in the morning, lots of energy is used to process and digest the food you eat, which takes away from energy that you could have to use in order to be productive.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

can you link some evidence bro, just to satisfy my curiosity
Reply 68
Original post by Anon_98
Uh, yes it is though.

:lol: it really isn't. The whole premise of intermittent fasting is that you're not skipping a meal, you are pushing it back to a later stage in the day. I'm not saying you're going to have coco pops for lunch, but the calories that you would have consumed early in the day will be consumed later on. There is no lack of food as you eat the same number of calories throughout the day. There physically cannot be a lack of food if you are eating the same amount. That's like me saying you are having a lack of food by eating breakfast and not having those calories later on. Exactly, it's just stupid.

Original post by Anon_98
I know. I clearly stated it was an example and I was making a point from what you said previously. Nothing to do with whether you actually participate in that sort of schedule or not.

Well it wasn't a good example and I wouldn't recommend going until 5pm without eating. I clearly did not advocate that. You use it to try and prove your point when it is totally unrelated to the matter. Regardless, if you didn't eat until 5, as long as you ate enough calories, you would still not be lacking any food

Original post by Anon_98
It's not just a few hundred milligrams bc it can have bad effects. I simply don't believe it's a good idea.

It 'can'. If you have in in excess. Everyone reacts differently and I'd imagine most will know how much they can handle. It's well within the recommended range, and I'm pretty sure the organisations and agencies that set those recommendations are a little more knowledgable than you.

Original post by Anon_98
Okay so why exactly are we mentioning it?

Because you were making out as if what I was suggesting was some sort of awful evil idea that everyone should avoid. Truth is I'd bet good money that my lifestyle is healthier than most on here.

Original post by Anon_98
I don't see any problem here either. I just commented on the thread in response to your title/OP.

Yes, but you spoke as if you had experience when you did not. That's like me advising to not revise in a certain way if I had never done it myself, or any other example you could come up with. You haven't tried it, you don't know how it works. It is a personal thing that works for some but not others. You can't know if it works for you or not without trying it.

Original post by Anon_98
You didn't say those who are overweight though, you said "anyone" who thinks they're hungry. Eating whenever you like is great provided that you're not harming yourself by doing so. Why you would choose to substitute that for glasses of water is beyond me.

No, I know. But people are overweight now because they overeat, and they overeat because of many reasons, but one being they think they are hungry when they are not. It is well known that when you feel hungry, most of the time it's just thirst or dehydration.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by .JC.

Obviously drinking copious amounts of coffee isn't good for you due to the caffeine

Not true.
Original post by Anon_98
Meh.

I am dismissing it precisely on the basis that I think it's harmful, yes. Why would I try out something that I think would have a negative impact on me. If you saw a car travelling fast on a busy road that you wanted to cross, would you run to the other side in the hope that you'd get there bc some people have made it in the past and it has "worked for them"? Despite the fact you're aware it's dangerous?

Okay, I don't see how any of that ties into the post you just quoted though. :'3

Yeah, I don't think your scenario is the same. I would say, imagine Person A walks to school and gets there at 8.45am. Person B, however, decides to take a different route to school. Both of them get to school on time but they took different routes. Does that mean one is wrong and the other is right? No, it doesn't.

My response was relevant because you said people should eat whenever they are hungry (because you believe that fasting is bad, as you've mentioned numerous times on this thread). I'm telling you that fasting isn't bad.

Original post by .JC.

Yeah, small meals will work perfectly fine too, I just find that if I eat smaller meals I get more distracted, don't feel as satiated and can tend to eat more crap.

As I'm an avid gym goer, I tend to have a period of months where I eat in a caloric surplus in order to gain muscle. In the period you do gain a bit of fat. I then have a period where I cut down and eat in a deficit. In this period is when I do IF. It's ideal as I would otherwise not be able to eat such a number of calories, since breakfast would take up a considerable amount and leave me hungry all morning.

So to answer the question, its sort of both, it's just usually for the summer that I cut down so it tends to fall that I do this throughout exam season anyway.

I may try it as a more permanent thing all year round, but IF isn't ideal for gaining weight, though it can help you to prevent fat gain whilst bulking up and building muscle.

Interesting. I think during term time I wouldn't find it too difficult but the summer holidays... Oh dear... :laugh: It's a good routine to get into though. Most of us eat things like cereal believing that it's great for us but to me it's useless :dontknow:
Original post by undercxver
Even during revision I don't think it's good. When me and my friends revise we snack on something ever half an hour or so.

If you're hungry you'll only think about food and what you're studying wouldn't sink in.

And dehydration... I won't even get started in that. :sigh:

Aren't you just eating food because you want it, not because you need it? You don't really need a snack every 30 minutes. It's mainly a case of getting into the routine and allowing your body to get used to it. You've had a different routine for your entire life so you won't get used to it overnight.

I'm pretty sure you can still drink water. It's personal preference. Everyone does it the way they feel is best for them :smile:
Original post by Anon_98
Uh, yes it is though.
Pretty impressive how you can't seem to wrap your head around the basic concept of daily food intake. If I eat 1000kcal for breakfast, 1000kcal for lunch and 1000kcal for dinner, that's 3000 kcals. If I skip breakfast, eat 1500kcal for lunch and 1500kcal for dinner, that's 3000kcals. Ergo, no lack of food.

Based on what? People have been drinking coffee safely for millennia. There are intake guidelines set by people who are actually qualified to do so.

Eating whenever you like is great provided that you're not harming yourself by doing so. Why you would choose to substitute that for glasses of water is beyond me.

The whole point of the OP is that, once your body gets used to the IF schedule, you won't get hungry outside of your eating window.The fasted state improves alertness and focus, helping you revise. Eating 'whenever you like' is purely a function of what your body is used to. It can be changed very quickly in order that you only feel like eating during your eating windows and you get the benefits of the fasted state. Drinking water helps during the short transition phase (and that's not even mentioning the fact that people often feel hungry when their body is actually demanding water).

I don't think it is something to "try" at all. It may benefit some people,
So, it may produce a benefit yet it's not at all worth trying? Strong logic.

but I think it does more harm than good.

Your opinion is informed by feels. No personal experience, no scientific evidence.

Meh.I am dismissing it precisely on the basis that I think it's harmful, yes. Why would I try out something that I think would have a negative impact on me. If you saw a car travelling fast on a busy road that you wanted to cross, would you run to the other side in the hope that you'd get there bc some people have made it in the past and it has "worked for them"? Despite the fact you're aware it's dangerous?Okay, I don't see how any of that ties into the post you just quoted though. :'3

What an awful analogy. You've neglected to mention the fact that IF actually has proposed benefits. There is no potential benefit in your analogy and the risk is far greater. You're dismissing something because you suspect (based on zero evidence, might I add) that it poses some risk to you with no reward and you type your comments with a dismissive air of authority despite your argument being based on 'I think'- no experience and no evidence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, I don't think your scenario is the same. I would say, imagine Person A walks to school and gets there at 8.45am. Person B, however, decides to take a different route to school. Both of them get to school on time but they took different routes. Does that mean one is wrong and the other is right? No, it doesn't.

Okay, but that's not the same either. With your example I'd say alright let's imagine Person A walks to school and gets there at 8:45am. Person B takes another route, but bc it's the wrong route, he gets stuck in a dead end which means he has to go all the way back round and then take the same route that person A took the first time. This all means Person B arrives to school much later than he would if he had just taking the normal route to begin with. Meaning Person B is disadvantaged bc he's just missed 45 mins of French class.

(because you believe that fasting is bad, as you've mentioned numerous times on this thread). I'm telling you that fasting isn't bad.

I didn't say that. I don't believe that. I said that the entirety of what OP is suggesting is not ideal and I haven't mentioned any of that numerous times in this thread either.
Reply 74
Low blood sugar is awful for your concentration. Fasting works for losing weight, but I've never heard of this.
Aren't you just eating food because you want it, not because you need it? You don't really need a snack every 30 minutes. It's mainly a case of getting into the routine and allowing your body to get used to it. You've had a different routine for your entire life so you won't get used to it overnight.

I'm pretty sure you can still drink water. It's personal preference. Everyone does it the way they feel is best for them :smile:

Well yeah mentally hungry is what I call it. :ahee: I'm not saying that I snack every half an hour every single day, of course I have days where I don't snack at all and have the usual breakfast, lunch and dinner - even then I think about food quite a bit. :erm:

Yeah, I'd rather pass and stick to the usual routine of eating. I don't want to repeat last year's struggle of fasting. :frown:
Original post by dairychocolate
Pretty impressive

Ty. :blush:
So many idiots making a big deal out of not eating for a few hrs. No wonder there are so many fatties in England.
Original post by RobML
Low blood sugar is awful for your concentration. Fasting works for losing weight, but I've never heard of this.

Pretty sure IF improves insulin sensitivity and keeps blood sugar levels more stable.

Your body just taps into glycogen and fat stores for energy. Once you've adjusted to it, it's great.
Reply 79
Original post by dairychocolate
Pretty sure IF improves insulin sensitivity and keeps blood sugar levels more stable.

Your body just taps into glycogen and fat stores for energy. Once you've adjusted to it, it's great.

Not going to try it anyway seeing as I aim to put on weight

Quick Reply

Latest