Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you had to vote in an election today... Watch

• View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
    Conservatives
    29.14%
    Labour
    28.48%
    Lib Dems
    11.92%
    Greens
    7.28%
    UKIP
    12.58%
    Plaid
    0.66%
    SNP
    3.97%
    Other/None of the above
    5.96%

ReputationRep:
    I feel like in the future a lot of people will wonder why greens were so unpopular, considering they can be argued to be ahead of their game with the fact that they care about the environment and that. Wish they were organised enough to be taken more seriously lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimum_)
    Can't trust Lib dems (lied to our faces)
    One of my favourite things about the new Lib Dem leader is that he voted to abolish tuition fees, not because he agreed with it but because he highly values integrity within politics, and believed the Lib Dems should keep their promises no matter what (unfortunately he was a minority at the time). I feel that sort of honesty is what the party needed, and adopting it into their leadership is what makes me want to vote Lib Dems next election.

ReputationRep:
    SNP
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Why Sanders over say Kasich?
    Free healthcare and also the fact that Sanders is more likely to get the democratic nomination than Kasich the Republican.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    What do you make of UKIP's stance on climate change, given that you're a chemical physicist? :holmes:
    Atmospheric chemistry isn't my field but I'll do my best.

Honestly I think they're right about the climate change alarmism. Climate change is happening, but it's been blown way out of proportion. Humans are undeniably the cause of the elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration, but personally I think the large amounts of water produced during combustion is a much bigger threat than the CO2 produced.

For combustion of alkanes, the H2O to CO2 ratio is 2:1, and water's much better at absorbing infra red radiation than CO2 is. It has a lot more vibrational modes than CO2. It has 6 compared to CO2's 4. It doesn't sound like much, but for molecules of their size it's a massive difference. The vibrations all have specific energies associated with them, so water can absorb more frequencies of IR radiation than CO2 can.

The other thing to bear in mind is the Earth's history of repeated heating and cooling. We've had 4 major ice ages, or "snowball earth's," each followed by a period of excessive heat waves. Most recently we had the "Little Ice Age." It wasn't a true ice age but it was a period of significantly lower temperatures which lasted from the early 1300s to the mid 1800s. As expected we've had a sharp rise in temperature since then.

The rise in atmospheric CO2 is also causing fears about the acidification of the oceans. I'm not worried though. Increased CO2 levels in the oceans and atmosphere leads to an increase in carbon burial. I think this happens primarily through the formation of carbonates from metal oxides.

The catastrophic CO2 levels which the media is reporting is nothing but fearmongery. It's like they think Earth's becoming the newest Venus! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Wasn't he considered a Red Tory?
    If IDS is a red Tory then there are few things more terrifying than a blue Tory!!!

(Original post by Peroxidation)
    Atmospheric chemistry isn't my field but I'll do my best.

Honestly I think they're right about the climate change alarmism. Climate change is happening, but it's been blown way out of proportion. Humans are undeniably the cause of the elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration, but personally I think the large amounts of water produced during combustion is a much bigger threat than the CO2 produced.
    Fair points, but UKIP's position (or at the very least Nigel Farage's position) isn't just that there's a tendency for the threat to be overhyped. They've variously insisted that it either isn't happening, that they don't know whether it's happening, or that it is happening, but for non-anthropogenic reasons, all of which differ from your view.

Because of this view of theirs, most of their environmental and energy policies (e.g. repealing the Climate Change Act 2008, supporting the coal industry, removing support for wind and solar energy, etc.) are quite deliberately intended to move things in the wrong direction, even if it's not as apocalyptic as some people think. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Liberal Democrats

ReputationRep:
    Fair points, but UKIP's position (or at the very least Nigel Farage's position) isn't just that there's a tendency for the threat to be overhyped. They've variously insisted that it either isn't happening, that they don't know whether it's happening, or that it is happening, but for non-anthropogenic reasons, all of which differ from your view.

Because of this view of theirs, most of their environmental and energy policies (e.g. repealing the Climate Change Act 2008, supporting the coal industry, removing support for wind and solar energy, etc.) are quite deliberately intended to move things in the opposite direction, even if it's not as apocalyptic as some people think. :holmes:
    It's all a big con put out by the establishment just like the EU and Human Rights innit?

How does this connection between climate deniers and Euroscepticism work on a psychological level?As Kris De Meyer from the Department of Informatics at King's College London explained: “The majority of policy solutions under discussion to tackle climate change – international treaties or top-down government interventions – and the types of policies that appear to come from the EU – top-down regulations – have this in common: they can be perceived as threatening values of individual freedom, economic (market) freedom, or the sovereignty of national governments.”This can be seen for example in Delingpole’s article when he “plays the card of national sovereignty under threat to reject both climate change and the European Union,” says De Meyer. It is “Far easier to blame 'climate change' than our unelected masters in Brussels,” writes Delingpole.

http://www.desmog.uk/2016/01/12/why-...itain-leave-eu
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Conservative. Always Conservative.

ReputationRep:
    Not all change is good change. :rolleyes:
    Very true.

ReputationRep:
    Green.

ReputationRep:
    As a member of the Scottish Greens, it's probably not surprising where my regional list vote is going to on the 5th. As for my constituency vote, it's a bit of a toss-up between Labour and the SNP as we decided to field candidates only in the seats the Greens felt they had a chance of winning. Need to find out how much of a Blairite the Labour candidate in my constituency is...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.