The Student Room Group

Geography OCR AS 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by choccy123
Was last years tourism and energy 25 marker on sustainability??

no ecotourism
Original post by penguindrum
Does anyone know of any social factors that may affect urban land use?

Also, any decent case studies showing the problem of waste management in urban areas? I have Curitiba for sustainable management but not a case study specifically for problems....

London for waste is good!
Reply 62
Predictions from head of Geography at my school. He is very good at making predictions and hardly makes mistakes. Also human and physical are written by two sets of different people who don't confer about what in either paper so like peoples with growth of tourism could come up or exploitation of energy.
for urban short answer questions eh reckons it will be problems/management of traffic congestion. look at Curitiba London, Mexico city or Paris. Has not come up in a while. also believes if that does not come up it will be a question on mangagemtn of air pollution. He recons there ill be a question on economic factors affecting land use or environmental factors effecting land use ( physical factors)
for tourism and energy he believes a question on energy could be about sustainable management of energy It is highly like that the 9 marker could be political factors influence growth of tourism or supply of energy or relationship between economic development and tourism/energy.
He believes the 25 maker will probably be problems with growth of tourism/exploitation of energy. or opportunities created by growth of tourism or exploitation of energy.

Hope this helps/
Original post by awd1998
Predictions from head of Geography at my school. He is very good at making predictions and hardly makes mistakes. Also human and physical are written by two sets of different people who don't confer about what in either paper so like peoples with growth of tourism could come up or exploitation of energy.
for urban short answer questions eh reckons it will be problems/management of traffic congestion. look at Curitiba London, Mexico city or Paris. Has not come up in a while. also believes if that does not come up it will be a question on mangagemtn of air pollution. He recons there ill be a question on economic factors affecting land use or environmental factors effecting land use ( physical factors)
for tourism and energy he believes a question on energy could be about sustainable management of energy It is highly like that the 9 marker could be political factors influence growth of tourism or supply of energy or relationship between economic development and tourism/energy.
He believes the 25 maker will probably be problems with growth of tourism/exploitation of energy. or opportunities created by growth of tourism or exploitation of energy.

Hope this helps/

That would be a great tourism essay!!!!!
Can anyone help with "With reference to one or more examples, explain the increasing use of renewable energy" - 9 Marks
Original post by SilverMusic
Can anyone help with "With reference to one or more examples, explain the increasing use of renewable energy" - 9 Marks

explain the use would mean why there is an increasing use and the effects of renewable energy. so it may be increasing due to:
- rising prices of nonrenewable energy, meaning that governments are forced to consider renewable options
- renewable options are becoming cheaper
- government are investing more into renewable energy development and hence are able to use it more
- nonrenewable resources may be running out, forcing countries to consider renewable sources
- high potential for a particular renewable energy source such as high tidal range, high wind power, long hours of sun etc
Does anyone know of any social factors that may affect urban land use?

Also, any decent case studies showing the problem of waste management in urban areas? I have Curitiba for sustainable management but not a case study specifically for problems....

For social factors, I am using ethnicity and wealth. Ethnicity effects land use pattern as it may lead to cultural segregation as those of the same race may cluster and hence the amenities they need will to cluster in that area (e.g. Ealing Southall, London which is the UK's largest residential area of British Asians). Wealth of course affects land use as the higher the income, the higher the disposable income and therefore the type of land use that surrounds these people. Those in secondary industry will live in low class residential areas with poor amenities (e.g. Newham, London), and vice versa (eg. Kensington, London).
Original post by Karina.shah123
For social factors, I am using ethnicity and wealth. Ethnicity effects land use pattern as it may lead to cultural segregation as those of the same race may cluster and hence the amenities they need will to cluster in that area (e.g. Ealing Southall, London which is the UK's largest residential area of British Asians). Wealth of course affects land use as the higher the income, the higher the disposable income and therefore the type of land use that surrounds these people. Those in secondary industry will live in low class residential areas with poor amenities (e.g. Newham, London), and vice versa (eg. Kensington, London).

Thank youu! I totally forgot about the ethnicity one :lol:
Thank youu! I totally forgot about the ethnicity one :lol:

No problem!! Social factors have the least amount of factors (according to my notes anyway), so fingers crossed it's only a six marker and not a nine!
No problem!! Social factors have the least amount of factors (according to my notes anyway), so fingers crossed it's only a six marker and not a nine!

Gosh, if it came up as a 9 marker I'd definitely choose another section to do for the short answer :tongue: I have a feeling it would be a shorter answer though, since I've seen 6 mark questions for economic, environmental and political, but somehow not social!
Gosh, if it came up as a 9 marker I'd definitely choose another section to do for the short answer :tongue: I have a feeling it would be a shorter answer though, since I've seen 6 mark questions for economic, environmental and political, but somehow not social!

Hope so! Relying a lot on the human paper as my physical paper didn't go as well as I had hoped! :s-smilie:
Hope so! Relying a lot on the human paper as my physical paper didn't go as well as I had hoped! :s-smilie:

Gosh, yeah I heard that paper was insanely difficult! I'm in Y13 and a few of my friends did a retake and came out of it looking so shellshocked :eek: especially as our school didn't teach us contrasting case studies!

Hopefully the human paper will be easier to make up for it, though maybe OCR have universally decided to be awful this year :frown:
explain the use would mean why there is an increasing use and the effects of renewable energy. so it may be increasing due to:
- rising prices of nonrenewable energy, meaning that governments are forced to consider renewable options
- renewable options are becoming cheaper
- government are investing more into renewable energy development and hence are able to use it more
- nonrenewable resources may be running out, forcing countries to consider renewable sources
- high potential for a particular renewable energy source such as high tidal range, high wind power, long hours of sun etc

Thank you! could you use this for " explain how renewable energy is playing an increasing part in the management of energy supplies" also? again, a 9 marker?
Original post by SilverMusic
Thank you! could you use this for " explain how renewable energy is playing an increasing part in the management of energy supplies" also? again, a 9 marker?

Probably not as it says management. Maybe instead talk about the effects of nonrenewable energy and the positives of renewable energy and why it is better to use. Then go on to say as a result of better impacts (environmentally mostly) the government are now investing more money into renewable energy sources. :smile:
Gosh, yeah I heard that paper was insanely difficult! I'm in Y13 and a few of my friends did a retake and came out of it looking so shellshocked :eek: especially as our school didn't teach us contrasting case studies!

Hopefully the human paper will be easier to make up for it, though maybe OCR have universally decided to be awful this year :frown:

Yup, was an awful paper :/ OCR seem to be awful every year. But tbh, I don't think I have ever came out of an exam truly pleased with myself!
Probably not as it says management. Maybe instead talk about the effects of nonrenewable energy and the positives of renewable energy and why it is better to use. Then go on to say as a result of better impacts (environmentally mostly) the government are now investing more money into renewable energy sources. :smile:

Also, mention the physical factors that lead to the development of more renewable resources so again, wind, tidal range, solar energy etc.
I just looked at the mark scheme and a small example on there is "Offshore wind farms are playing an increasingpart in the UK’s energy mix as the UK’ssurrounding seas are prone to strongpersistent winds so wind energy is seen as anappropriate source of energy."
you can read the spec i did coasts short, the deserts/arid short and then cold long 25 marker
replying to jinzy
(edited 7 years ago)
Also, mention the physical factors that lead to the development of more renewable resources so again, wind, tidal range, solar energy etc.
I just looked at the mark scheme and a small example on there is "Offshore wind farms are playing an increasingpart in the UK’s energy mix as the UK’ssurrounding seas are prone to strongpersistent winds so wind energy is seen as anappropriate source of energy."

Thanks guys!!
Anyone got any predication on the Human stuff tomorrow? - I'm doing Urban, Energy and Tourism
For problems caused by the growing demand for services (Urban - 9 marker) - could you put employment? or is this not a service (stupid Q ik)

Quick Reply