Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Not mainly, no, but I think it should be at least every fifth post or so.
    You shame your beloved Queen with such behaviour, on her birthday too.

ReputationRep:
    Republicans of the MHoC are like atheists of Reddit. Even if no one is interested in their opinion, they must follow their urges, right?

We know, move along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    You shame your beloved Queen with such behaviour, on her birthday too.
    Given my level of loyal service to Her Majesty, it may surprise you to learn that she does not directly authorise my TSR posts. Fortunately, therefore, I don't think she's implicated.

Besides, part of her song asks God to 'Scatter her enemies' and 'Confound their politics', so we may assume He is working through me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Happy Birthday, your Majesty! Long may she reign over us!

Thank you as well to Life_peer for setting up this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Can ppl stop trashing this thread pls

ReputationRep:
    Long live HRH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Those who share my views may use this thread to express their wishes and congratulations. Republicans, please don't pollute this one.

ReputationRep:
    Republicans of the MHoC are like atheists of Reddit. Even if no one is interested in their opinion, they must follow their urges, right?

We know, move along.
    "Gets annoyed by someone's opinion"
    "Posts to say no one cares about their opinion"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Pretty sure this is meant to be a republican free thread .....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    "Gets annoyed by someone's opinion"
    "Posts to say no one cares about their opinion"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not the opinion itself, but the fact that it's unsolicited and superfluous. Feel free to think whatever you like, just don't force it down others' throats… Instead of celebration, there are mostly petty squabbles but I guess asking republicans to leave one thread alone is still too much.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How many people are more engaged because there is actual meaning to things rather than them being purely for show?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Given the number of people that only seemed to be there for the purpose of taking selfies last time I went to see the Changing of the Guard, not many, I'd guess.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    so you don't get the difference between deserved hierarchies (e.g. meritocracies and technocracies) in voluntary life and undeserved/nepotistic ones enshrined in the law of a nation...?
    Oh, I'm well aware of the difference, but QQ is hardly new around here and should be used to particular wording.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Not the opinion itself, but the fact that it's unsolicited and superfluous. Feel free to think whatever you like, just don't force it down others' throats… Instead of celebration, there are mostly petty squabbles but I guess asking republicans to leave one thread alone is still too much.
    If you didn't want to see views contrary to your own posted on this thread, you should have posted it in Chat or something, not the MHoC forum.
    I thought it was the left who were supposed to be against free speech......

ReputationRep:
    I imagine if you go to a foreign tourist outside Buckingham palace, say, and ask "why are you visiting Buckingham palace in London and not the palace of Versailles in Paris?" The answer will be along the lines of "because of the Queen"

I wonder which is visited more, Buckingham palace or the official residence of the French President? Hell, for the amount of time there is access to it Buckingham Palace is far more popular than the white house.

Historical significance is somewhat lesser than active significance for the same reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was a foreign tourist and that had never crossed my mind ever. The Queen isn't usually at Buckingham Palace, it's not her official or unofficial residence, and ever she's in I wouldn't be able to see her so she's pretty irrelevant to my decision to visit the Palace. The only reason I have to visit the Palace was that it's a historical building and is in the centre of London, a metropolitan with many other things to offer. And this is from a subject who supports the monarchy and has British connections. Most people, despite Her Majesty still being queen, indeed would choose Paris over London altogether, as you can see from the number of visitors.

Your argument would work much better with say, St James's Palace. Except no-one visits St James's Palace despite it being Her Majesty's official residence.

Your argument on the White House is odd at best. It's much smaller and is occupied and used all of the times. It's got much less historical value and Washington DC is overall not that big of a tourist attraction, even in the United States, so of course any given site in that city will have a limited amount of tourists.

Worse still, do you know it's practically not opened to tourists? US citizens who wish to visit the White House have to apply in advance through their congressman; non-US citizens who wish to visit have to apply it through their country's embassy in DC. Are you saying you would fly to DC just to apply through the British ambassador, then fly back three months later to just go into the White House for half an hour?

In fact, using the US doesn't support your argument at all. The Top 9 world's most visited sites are in the United States, the top site in a place with a monarchy is in Japan at No 12, with its Disneyland! The first Commonwealth site comes in at No 31, the Sydney Opera House. The top UK site is at No 40, the British Museum. Nothing connected to Her Majesty is in the Top 50, despite the fact that there are multiple ex-royal sites on it (the top one being the Forbidden City at No 10).

If you go on TripAdvisor and look for attractions in London only, the top site with a royal connection is the Tower of London at No 4, and Buckingham Palace is at No 36. In London. Not Europe. Not the UK. Not England. No 36 in London. How about palaces in general? Buckingham actually is first despite this dismal rank, unless you count the House of Parliament, which is at No 8.

The French presidential residence is another odd point. If a site has enough architectural and historical value, people will visit. The French presidential residence doesn't. The Forbidden City in Beijing, which is still now partly the official residence, is very well visited despite there not being an emperor.

If Her Majesty is such a major factor, Holywood Palace would've been visited by more people.

ReputationRep:
    Should parliament be abolished to allow more tours and more thorough tours of Westminster? Shut down St Paul's as an active cathedral so it can be open longer?

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a few days a month where the EU Parliament in Strasbourg gets most of its visitors, I'll give you a hint: it's not whilst it's practically an empty building.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Her Majesty spent fewer than 100 nights at Buckingham Palace last year and not only has this been dropping but she's expected to spend even less time there in the future. Is the Palace open more than 265 days per year?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    I was a foreign tourist and that had never crossed my mind ever. The Queen isn't usually at Buckingham Palace, it's not her official or unofficial residence, and ever she's in I wouldn't be able to see her so she's pretty irrelevant to my decision to visit the Palace. The only reason I have to visit the Palace was that it's a historical building and is in the centre of London, a metropolitan with many other things to offer. And this is from a subject who supports the monarchy and has British connections. Most people, despite Her Majesty still being queen, indeed would choose Paris over London altogether, as you can see from the number of visitors.

Your argument would work much better with say, St James's Palace. Except no-one visits St James's Palace despite it being Her Majesty's official residence.

Your argument on the White House is odd at best. It's much smaller and is occupied and used all of the times. It's got much less historical value and Washington DC is overall not that big of a tourist attraction, even in the United States, so of course any given site in that city will have a limited amount of tourists.

Worse still, do you know it's practically not opened to tourists? US citizens who wish to visit the White House have to apply in advance through their congressman; non-US citizens who wish to visit have to apply it through their country's embassy in DC. Are you saying you would fly to DC just to apply through the British ambassador, then fly back three months later to just go into the White House for half an hour?

In fact, using the US doesn't support your argument at all. The Top 9 world's most visited sites are in the United States, the top site in a place with a monarchy is in Japan at No 12, with its Disneyland! The first Commonwealth site comes in at No 31, the Sydney Opera House. The top UK site is at No 40, the British Museum. Nothing connected to Her Majesty is in the Top 50, despite the fact that there are multiple ex-royal sites on it (the top one being the Forbidden City at No 10).

If you go on TripAdvisor and look for attractions in London only, the top site with a royal connection is the Tower of London at No 4, and Buckingham Palace is at No 36. In London. Not Europe. Not the UK. Not England. No 36 in London. How about palaces in general? Buckingham actually is first despite this dismal rank, unless you count the House of Parliament, which is at No 8.

The French presidential residence is another odd point. If a site has enough architectural and historical value, people will visit. The French presidential residence doesn't. The Forbidden City in Beijing, which is still now partly the official residence, is very well visited despite there not being an emperor.

If Her Majesty is such a major factor, Holywood Palace would've been visited by more people.
    Actually it is her official residence...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Actually it is her official residence...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry I was mistaken on that point but do you have no rebuttals for anything else?

If anything, it has made it worse. So Her Majesty's most famous and actually official residence, as well as the main residence for her in London, is only No 36 in London? What a massive draw!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Sorry I was mistaken on that point but do you have no rebuttals for anything else?

If anything, it has made it worse. So Her Majesty's most famous and actually official residence, as well as the main residence for her in London, is only No 36 in London? What a massive draw!
    I'm pissed. What has to be said is it depends what figure is being used, is that 36th with actual visitor count, which is only about half a million given the palace is only open a couple of months per year, or does it include those that visit the palace end of the mall because of the palace and fountain? If the former is hardly surprising it's so low.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm pissed. What has to be said is it depends what figure is being used, is that 36th with actual visitor count, which is only about half a million given the palace is only open a couple of months per year, or does it include those that visit the palace end of the mall because of the palace and fountain? If the former is hardly surprising it's so low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not based on raw visitors' numbers (too low so no-one tracked it it seems - based on raw numbers you can see it's not Top 50 world-wide and is not No 1 in London) but a combination of the number of review and how good they are, ie how much people care about it.

Answer: No, tourists don't care about Buckingham Palace and those who did didn't like it.

ReputationRep:
    OP is rep-hunting LDO

Happy birthday Lizzie!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.